Would you build this?

• Total voters

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The only unfortunate thing about realism: Going over the top is awesome, there's just no reason to do so.
People are greatly enjoying it, as it provides a nice change from the more-magic-than-tech of most tech mods where you plop half a dozen blocks down and magically transmute/fabricate/teleport things.

Also, it makes it easier for me to design, as I can just make it all follow math.

Reactions: NegaNote

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
People are greatly enjoying it, as it provides a nice change from the more-magic-than-tech of most tech mods where you plop half a dozen blocks down and magically transmute/fabricate/teleport things.

Also, it makes it easier for me to design, as I can just make it all follow math.
I'm not saying I don't enjoy it. It's a really great thing. It just has its limits, particularly on the upper end.

Reactions: NegaNote

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013

Quintuples ore in one block... calls other mods out on being unrealistic... Don't get me Wong I love rc and you created a realistic power system but the machines are definitely unrealistic

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Quintuples ore in one block... calls other mods out on being unrealistic... Don't get me Wong I love rc and you created a realistic power system but the machines are definitely unrealistic
How big is an ingot? A cubic meter of ore (about 4000kg of ore) could easily have many ingots worth of metal there, but need advanced processing. Also, the extractor is in fact based off of a real ore processing system, a "steel ball mill".

Reactions: Blorph and NegaNote

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Not without a use for it that made sense. There must be rewards that upset the frustration. It's kind of like building a modern day engine with 1920 tools. And then when your done you realize there is no car to put it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I would if there was an config option for no animations and other fancy rendering. I love the idea but I would rather keep a stable 30 or 60 FPS than produce a ton of power that I will never use.

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
zGasme4.png

I must compliment thee, for thy hard work, and doing a great job!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I would if there was an config option for no animations and other fancy rendering. I love the idea but I would rather keep a stable 30 or 60 FPS than produce a ton of power that I will never use.
Not only would it look like crap, but it would also be much harder - probably impossible - to design, as the renderers have all sorts of information beyond models (I/O being the first that comes to mind), and the fact that if everything was just a cube, it would look like a circle of cubes, with no indication of whether things were oriented correctly, or in the correct state, or placed correctly, or interacting correctly...

Not without a use for it that made sense. There must be rewards that upset the frustration. It's kind of like building a modern day engine with 1920 tools. And then when your done you realize there is no car to put it in.
Have you used RotaryCraft?

Reactions: Not_Steve

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Yes .... The analogy about old tools has nothing to do with the mod. By the time I would build the reactor everything would already have a working power source. The cost and frustration as well as the fuel consumption would not make it worth it to replace what I already have in place. But if it was a stepping stone to something that needed that much time, effort, and power then it would be worth it.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
So this is enough power to send me back in time 18.6 times. How about a machine that can regenerate a chunk back to what it used to be when it was first generated? Could be a machine that encircles a single chunk and takes a logarithmic amount of energy to activate.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So this is enough power to send me back in time 18.6 times. How about a machine that can regenerate a chunk back to what it used to be when it was first generated? Could be a machine that encircles a single chunk and takes a logarithmic amount of energy to activate.
Realism?

Yes .... The analogy about old tools has nothing to do with the mod. By the time I would build the reactor everything would already have a working power source. The cost and frustration as well as the fuel consumption would not make it worth it to replace what I already have in place. But if it was a stepping stone to something that needed that much time, effort, and power then it would be worth it.
It takes this kind of power to max out a system of large RotaryCraft setups. With this much power, you can mine, process, and smelt thousands of ingots a second, plus run massive farms - mob and crop - and anything else you your heart's content.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
From my perspective (and I haven't played Rotary Craft) it would be good to have something like that to build end game. I'm playing DW 1.6.4 right now, and I've automated most things (except mining for some strange reason, I've built a quarry and I have a tesseract ready to power it, just haven't bothered linking it all up).

Something like this would be a good challenge, even if making it was just for s&%ts and giggles. My only concern would be, is there any good way of knowing either during construction or when you try and turn it on, if you've got a block wrong? Placing the last block to find that it doesn't work because somewhere in amongst those 1,500 blocks, something isn't right with no hints would probably just cause me to walk away.

Reactions: databeast

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Honestly no I wouldn't build it. It's too under powered for the returns. Yes it can give a lot of power but so can nether humping. Id say it needs a stronger incentive. By the time you are at the point that you have the materials to build this you already have a functioning power net. If it gave a byproduct that allowed either higher tier machine or better tools then I'd say it was worth it.

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Sure...but how much of "Nuclear Reactor Physics" knowledge that kinda of monster is going to require? Because i kinda doubt that more than 25% of the FTB community know anything about it, beyond the very basic that we learn on school....

Reactions: jokermatt999

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Sure...but how much of "Nuclear Reactor Physics" knowledge that kinda of monster is going to require? Because i kinda doubt that more than 25% of the FTB community know anything about it, beyond the very basic that we learn on school....
Not much, really. The fusion reactors are a sort of "RotaryCraft final exam", but as long as you can grasp the mods (which many admittedly do not), then the only obstacles are cost and space.
You will need to know stuff like "magnets can direct plasma" and "plasma is very hot", and "fusion requires deuterium and tritium", but those are hardly excessive.

Honestly no I wouldn't build it. It's too under powered for the returns. Yes it can give a lot of power but so can nether humping. Id say it needs a stronger incentive. By the time you are at the point that you have the materials to build this you already have a functioning power net. If it gave a byproduct that allowed either higher tier machine or better tools then I'd say it was worth it.
It does allow higher tier (operation of) machines.

My only concern would be, is there any good way of knowing either during construction or when you try and turn it on, if you've got a block wrong? Placing the last block to find that it doesn't work because somewhere in amongst those 1,500 blocks, something isn't right with no hints would probably just cause me to walk away.
A lot of it would be obvious; multiblocks visually change when built correctly, and the arrangement of magnets is easy to eyeball once you know the pattern. Also, a lot of it is more freeform than the picture implies; for example, the neutron absorbers and boilers outside can certainly be rearranged.

Reactions: jokermatt999