Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

Nyoros

Jul 29, 2019
In regards to the downgrade of turbine textures and Reactorcraft textures in general, I normally don't try and go against a single opinion (everyone is entitled to theirs), but it just seems... counterproductive in this instance.

It's pretty clear that Reika has put a massive amount of work into making the models, working on the actual machines and so forth. It seems to be a fair trade off to drop a few FPS for a well made, well maintained mod with clearly a lot of thought put into it. Plus; having simple box forms of everything would be extremely dull and probably ruin the realism side of the mod. A machine capable of fusing hydrogen and outputting massive amounts of energy in the process very likely wouldn't be as quiet as an abandoned library and if it were a solid cube with patterns on it (whether it be a 1x1x1 or a 3x3x3) it's really a killer on the immersion of such a powerful device.

I apologize if I come off a bit strong on this, just seems a bit rude / disheartening to tell a mod maker that a low resolution model would be better than the original and higher quality model they already made.

Reactions: masterzh

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
In regards to the downgrade of turbine textures and Reactorcraft textures in general, I normally don't try and go against a single opinion (everyone is entitled to theirs), but it just seems... counterproductive in this instance.

It's pretty clear that Reika has put a massive amount of work into making the models, working on the actual machines and so forth. It seems to be a fair trade off to drop a few FPS for a well made, well maintained mod with clearly a lot of thought put into it. Plus; having simple box forms of everything would be extremely dull and probably ruin the realism side of the mod. A machine capable of fusing hydrogen and outputting massive amounts of energy in the process very likely wouldn't be as quiet as an abandoned library and if it were a solid cube with patterns on it (whether it be a 1x1x1 or a 3x3x3) it's really a killer on the immersion of such a powerful device.

I apologize if I come off a bit strong on this, just seems a bit rude / disheartening to tell a mod maker that a low resolution model would be better than the original and higher quality model they already made.
I fully agree, and must admit that the immersion-breaking nature of "icon cubes" led me not to use a certain big tech mod until I toyed a little with it in 1.6.4, despite having first seen it in 1.2.5, and liking some content.

Reactions: masterzh

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019

It never hurts to ask. Some of us may not want use the power plant as the visual centerpiece of our base. So a drop in FPS for something we may never look at can be annoying. I remember industrial steam engines were a bit annoying in this way.

As a work around of sorts, one could make a chunkloaded void age or very distant chunk with this powerplant in it by itself. Then players dont need to render it. I imagine there are ways to move the power/fuel it generates. The server doesnt render anything to my understanding so it wouldnt have an impact.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It never hurts to ask. Some of us may not want use the power plant as the visual centerpiece of our base. So a drop in FPS for something we may never look at can be annoying. I remember industrial steam engines were a bit annoying in this way.

As a work around of sorts, one could make a chunkloaded void age or very distant chunk with this powerplant in it by itself. Then players dont need to render it. I imagine there are ways to move the power/fuel it generates. The server doesnt render anything to my understanding so it wouldnt have an impact.
Exactly. Plus that does isolate the damage from any potential fault.

groundhog

Jul 29, 2019
ACHIEVEMENT GET - GOD PARTICLE

say no more.

mca.png

This.

I always built a GT Fusion Reactor as a sink for all those resources that have accumulated end-game and as an excuse to breed some of those bee lines to acquire the more scarce ones.

It was an achievement to build, but then what to do with all that power?

Perhaps there could be some "science" to the tuning of the apparatus ... one final step to crown the achievement of actually building this beast of a contraption?

Reactions: un worry

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that the only things that would conceivably require that level of power would be matter production (even this is going to be trivially small at these power levels) and the construction of dimensional portals.

Which is already "Easily" done via various early game methods.

Perhaps create powered portals anyway, and just add achievements that are granted on the first-visit to the nether or end as long as its via the powered portal.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
How big is an ingot? A cubic meter of ore (about 4000kg of ore) could easily have many ingots worth of metal there, but need advanced processing. Also, the extractor is in fact based off of a real ore processing system, a "steel ball mill".

This made me curious so I went and looked them up. I know they can be as small as a benchtop model, but a unit that can handle 64 cubic meters at a time would more like the size of the one in this picture, or bigger.
Ball_Mill.jpg

Even though the extractor needs a good amount of power, it is still very easy to get compared to what it does. As brilliant as your new reactor is, have you ever thought of making the extractor or some other machines multi blocks? You seem to have the vision for it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It seems that the only things that would conceivably require that level of power would be matter production (even this is going to be trivially small at these power levels) and the construction of dimensional portals.

Which is already "Easily" done via various early game methods.

Perhaps create powered portals anyway, and just add achievements that are granted on the first-visit to the nether or end as long as its via the powered portal.
An interesting and potentially useful idea, but it grates against the realism tenet.

This made me curious so I went and looked them up. I know they can be as small as a benchtop model, but a unit that can handle 64 cubic meters at a time would more like the size of the one in this picture, or bigger.
This is just a question of scale; we are already talking about a character that can carry 64*40*19300kg of material (if gold blocks), or 49 million kilograms, or about 24 fully-loaded space shuttles.

Even though the extractor needs a good amount of power, it is still very easy to get compared to what it does. As brilliant as your new reactor is, have you ever thought of making the extractor or some other machines multi blocks? You seem to have the vision for it.
You are not the first to ask, but I have no plans to do so, as RotaryCraft avoids multiblocks and breaking up the machine basically means writing four new machines.

Reactions: PierceSG

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps a chunkloading block that requires incremental amounts of power, like the MFR one. That way, you could have a block that is useful, able to be powered by RotaryCraft power, but is more useful with giant amounts of power.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Perhaps a chunkloading block that requires incremental amounts of power, like the MFR one. That way, you could have a block that is useful, able to be powered by RotaryCraft power, but is more useful with giant amounts of power.
I have actually toyed with adding that in the past - the core of the code still exists - but I have no idea how to make it. Chunkloading is well beyond me.

vernes

Jul 29, 2019
What about borrowing one of the purely speculative theories science muzes about?
I thought Startrek actually contacted nasa for some unsubstantiated but plausible sciencefiction material.

Do you want realism -> we have proof it works?
Do you want realism -> current model of physics doesn't say it's impossible?

I like the "current model of physics doesn't say it's impossible" approach.
That combined with "Should we ever figure out how to do this thing, we think it involves these scientific principles for which we need these machines we have yet to engineer."
That offers the feel of realism while at the same time stepping deep into the realm of science fiction.

But... that is my opinion.
And I'm a enormous scifi fan.

(ps, the post-editor works! hurray)

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine you had a potential source of energy so powerful that it eclipsed the generation capabilities of everything else in the game, capable of being pushed to 5 million RF/t and beyond.
However, this power comes at a cost - the necessary structure is large, complex, and expensive, necessitating over 1500 blocks placed in the exact correct locations. Additionally, while the fuel is not expensive to mass-produce, the system burns though large amounts of it, up to several buckets a second. Furthermore, the system requires a constant power input of about 24000RF/t to keep running.

Would you build this? What if there was tech that either required this or could be pushed to extremes with it?

How about if it looked like this?
JSmw3wi.png

Well, if something requires it it, then yes!

marcmagus

Jul 29, 2019
Do you want realism -> we have proof it works?
Do you want realism -> current model of physics doesn't say it's impossible?

I believe the standard for the things your talking about is realism -> the amount of power required is consistent with theory, and theory says it's possible. Reika already indicated that a problem with something like a wormhole is that the theoretical power required is closer to the entire lifetime output of a star than to the power output of one fusion reactor. For all that this thing generates so much power it's difficult to comprehend how much it is, the power needed for those big hard-SF things is still on a completely different scale.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I believe the standard for the things your talking about is realism -> the amount of power required is consistent with theory, and theory says it's possible. Reika already indicated that a problem with something like a wormhole is that the theoretical power required is closer to the entire lifetime output of a star than to the power output of one fusion reactor. For all that this thing generates so much power it's difficult to comprehend how much it is, the power needed for those big hard-SF things is still on a completely different scale.
A thousand times this.

I agree that things like time travel, wormholes, teleportation, invisibility, and so on are actually technically possible. However, they all either require extremely advanced tech - invisibility requires nanotech, for example - or ludicrous power requirements. I am willing to fudge scales when it comes to gameplay mechanics - such as not making the player unable to carry 7800kg of steel - but not when it comes to mod internals.

That said, I could theoretically make a third mod, but that is a lot of work.

Answering the earlier question, somewhere in between. It does not have to actually be fully developed in the real world - tokamaks are not, either - but it does have to fully obey all the known laws of physics and not feel like something from Star Wars/Trek (whichever is the one with the planet laser).

Reactions: Blorph