Would you build this?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Would you build this?

• Total voters

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hello, new guy here.

I'm building this reactor on a server (legit survival) with 2 friends and I got a sick, huge (and prolly funny) problem:
I've set 4 VDGs "under" the magnets, basically one of them in every half quarter. I'm powering everyone of them with a steam engine with water pipes going down (we built the reactor on a platform over the ocean), converging in the middle where 4 electric engines+pumps give water to the steam engines. The VDGs turned on and as soon as someone goes in range of the building he gets zapped until death. I tried to run and destroy the VDGs, tried to go down and stop the pumps until the water in the pipes end with no luck. Every time I die

I can't do anything around the reactor, not even finish it. I just needed a deuterium/tritium farm in the upper floor before turning it on but the whole area is now just a deadly trap. Am I just dumb or there's something not working as intended?
No advice for you, but really this is awesome :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hello, new guy here.

I'm building this reactor on a server (legit survival) with 2 friends and I got a sick, huge (and prolly funny) problem:
I've set 4 VDGs "under" the magnets, basically one of them in every half quarter. I'm powering everyone of them with a steam engine with water pipes going down (we built the reactor on a platform over the ocean), converging in the middle where 4 electric engines+pumps give water to the steam engines. The VDGs turned on and as soon as someone goes in range of the building he gets zapped until death. I tried to run and destroy the VDGs, tried to go down and stop the pumps until the water in the pipes end with no luck. Every time I die

I can't do anything around the reactor, not even finish it. I just needed a deuterium/tritium farm in the upper floor before turning it on but the whole area is now just a deadly trap. Am I just dumb or there's something not working as intended?

Sorry for my english, trying my best.
You are supposed to finish building it before you turn it on.

Xaros

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I wanted to try if the "electric charge" was going all around the magnets >.<

[EDIT] ... and tbh I just tried following your video tutorial where you turned on the VDGs before the plasma.

Last edited:

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe wait for some rain to hit the area, i know it breaks the magnetizing effect on the toroids, not sure if it lowers the power of the VdGs as well. Otherwise you could try "sniping" them with some ranged explosive or something to hit their engines/shafts/whatever without harming the main structure, depending on how you built it. Maybe a rocket launcher. Or send a mining turtle in a straight line from outside their range until it destroys them. Or ic2 mining laser maybe.

But yeah, the VdGs are annoying, i made a whole redstone control system just for their engines and built the walking area out of their range to try to minimize the risk. I had the same issue with a single VdG i used on magnetic pipes at first try, i thought it could target the pipe above it but it didn't, so after clicking fast on the engine to set it up to max the VdG promptly zapped me to death, then exploded out of boredom after some failed attempts from me to reach it.

I'm sure that if there was some log about players killed by Rotarycraft blocks, the VdG would be more deadly than turrets or anything else, lol. It's very unexpected and surprising, can bypass all armor it seems, shoots through anything and the range makes it hard to escape once you make the mistake.

Last edited:

Xaros

Jul 29, 2019
. Otherwise you could try "sniping" them with some ranged explosive or something to hit their engines/shafts/whatever without harming the main structure, depending on how you built it. Maybe a rocket launcher. Or send a mining turtle in a straight line from outside their range until it destroys them.
That's what I had to do and waited HOURS for the water pipes to empty and stop the steam engines. Still I don't know what to do now, one day I'll have to start them again tu turn on the whole reactor and everyone is gonna die in range again.

Considering it's just a friend hosting the server and we are just 3-4 people, please tell me how to modify the mod to avoid VDGs to target players or I'm prolly gonna forget the whole building (and after days of farming like crazy the lodestone it's more than annoying).

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I had to do and waited HOURS for the water pipes to empty and stop the steam engines. Still I don't know what to do now, one day I'll have to start them again tu turn on the whole reactor and everyone is gonna die in range again.

Considering it's just a friend hosting the server and we are just 3-4 people, please tell me how to modify the mod to avoid VDGs to target players or I'm prolly gonna forget the whole building (and after days of farming like crazy the lodestone it's more than annoying).
Well, you could use magnetostatics on the VDGs and turn them on and off remotely using redstone. And in the latest versions of Reactorcraft, the plasma injectors can be turned off with redstone.

Xaros

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is not turning them off but the fact I can't be around the reactor at all. I made a 3 floor building with the reactor in the middle, the water pumps in the bottom and the deuterium/tritium factory top and I can't access any floor because at least 2 VDGs every time rape me -.-

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think what Wagon is suggesting is that in the future, you can remotely engage your VdGs, and from a far enough distance that they can't harm you.

It would need long wiring or wireless redstone signals.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is not turning them off but the fact I can't be around the reactor at all. I made a 3 floor building with the reactor in the middle, the water pumps in the bottom and the deuterium/tritium factory top and I can't access any floor because at least 2 VDGs every time rape me -.-
In my experience, if they have high enough input power they tend to ignore you and focus on whatever machine they're targeting. In my case I specifically allocated 1/2 of a micro turbine to run a VDG for an electrolyzer, once the turbine hit full speed the VDG never bothered me. Still working on collecting enough magnetite for the reactor so can't say if it's the same, but worth a try.

Xaros

Jul 29, 2019
I'm gonna try a single VDG with a magnetostatic engine then. I got a rocket launcher ready now >.<

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If all else fails, you could go into creative mode, and thus immune to damage, walk up and turn off the VdG's yourself.

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
A great way to deal with that later could be to add a specific armor that protects against the discharges, i mean, a suit you could wear whenever you have to tinker with the VdG. It could even extend to some other RotaryCraft devices, maybe. Or some form of personal force field, whatever. It would lessen the annoyance and give a legitimate recovery solution for whoever didn't know enough about the mod and got stuck with that issue.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
A great way to deal with that later could be to add a specific armor that protects against the discharges, i mean, a suit you could wear whenever you have to tinker with the VdG. It could even extend to some other RotaryCraft devices, maybe. Or some form of personal force field, whatever. It would lessen the annoyance and give a legitimate recovery solution for whoever didn't know enough about the mod and got stuck with that issue.
Leather halves the damage, but aside from that, there is nothing endemic to RC that could suffice.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Well, why not vanilla instead of just RC?

I mean, we have lovely options such as leather and chain, or maybe be able to 'ground' the VdG [iron block next to it?]? :p