Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
"Not-so-containing pipe"... I just saw that achievement popping up on my screen out of nowhere. After a quick run, as expected, the VdG near my preheater unit was gone, leaving a big hole and little remnants of pipe. I guess the pipe blew up. All fine, however... my setup has been running for the past 2 days just fine, the VdG had power (pneumatic engine was still running after the explosion, 4MW). I wasn't making plasma anymore so i stopped the deuterium/tritium input and let it sit like that, and the pipe was quite short, about 10 blocks long with the VdG in the middle.

I really can't see what went wrong here as it was stable and i had no issue for two days with it. @Reika, any idea ? I guess the VdG stopped working for some reason, then the pipe blew up, however i can't see why. No water around, it's underground so no rain or anything, could the idle preheater mess up the pipe somehow after a while ?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I meant the ones powering the ring. Of course you could just cut power to the heat rays generating the plasma. That would let it run down normally.

Presumably it's possible to build a computer system capable of safely starting/shutting down the system. Would take a bit, but could be useful.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
"Not-so-containing pipe"... I just saw that achievement popping up on my screen out of nowhere. After a quick run, as expected, the VdG near my preheater unit was gone, leaving a big hole and little remnants of pipe. I guess the pipe blew up. All fine, however... my setup has been running for the past 2 days just fine, the VdG had power (pneumatic engine was still running after the explosion, 4MW). I wasn't making plasma anymore so i stopped the deuterium/tritium input and let it sit like that, and the pipe was quite short, about 10 blocks long with the VdG in the middle.

I really can't see what went wrong here as it was stable and i had no issue for two days with it. @Reika, any idea ? I guess the VdG stopped working for some reason, then the pipe blew up, however i can't see why. No water around, it's underground so no rain or anything, could the idle preheater mess up the pipe somehow after a while ?
The pipe melted, and then the VDG exploded (due to getting hit by lightning) as it had nowhere to dump its charge and kept accumulating it. As for why the pipe melted, chances are the pneumatic ran out of power.

I meant the ones powering the ring. Of course you could just cut power to the heat rays generating the plasma. That would let it run down normally.

Presumably it's possible to build a computer system capable of safely starting/shutting down the system. Would take a bit, but could be useful.
ReactorCraft: Plasma injectors can now be shut down with redstone

Reactions: Padfoote

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Well, what did you expect? :p Jet Fuel + Fire source = bad

As a tip, try keeping an enderpouch with an enderchest containing linking books to your voice. :)
I tried the linking book, but it was destroyed instantly. Thus, /tpx 0. Also what do you mean by "voice"?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone made a countdown on how much materials this monster needs?

I would love to know when i will have enough material to start it ^^ (and take a month to build it...)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

thcv

Jul 29, 2019
@thcv: Can you shut down the Van de Graff generators to shut down the system?

Stopping plasma production isn't a problem, my problem is that once the magnetic pipes have plasma in them there is no way to empty them, leaving it running till pipes are empty doesn't work. If the van de grafs are turned off with plasma in the pipes you get the meltdown I previously posted pictures of, therefore I am unable to turn the machine off once it's started.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Stopping plasma production isn't a problem, my problem is that once the magnetic pipes have plasma in them there is no way to empty them, leaving it running till pipes are empty doesn't work. If the van de grafs are turned off with plasma in the pipes you get the meltdown I previously posted pictures of, therefore I am unable to turn the machine off once it's started.

Why not use a independent power supply for the van de grafs or some form of emergency power system.

Last edited:
Reactions: techno156 and thcv

thcv

Jul 29, 2019
Why not use a independent power supply for the van de grafs or some farm of emergency power system.

Constantly powering the van de grafs isn't really a problem, however, keeping the chunks loaded constantly is. The server I play on has rules concerning machines running while you are offline.

Also, I have no idea what to do with the power this thing makes in a few minutes, let alone 24/7. On this server, other mod interactions with RC are banned at the moment, so no RF conversion.

Thank you all for your responses.

thcv

Jul 29, 2019
As of v23, redstone shuts down injectors.

Is this a reply to me?

I'm not the most literary person and I can't seem to explain my problem. I can start the machine and turn it off, but once the magnetic pipes have plasma in them, they will not empty and must be charged at all times or they melt....this is my dilemma. This machine is the coolest thing I've ever built in minecraft, and I could use the power from it sometimes, but for many reasons including chunk loading and lack of a large enough power sink I cannot run it indefinitely.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is this a reply to me?

I'm not the most literary person and I can't seem to explain my problem. I can start the machine and turn it off, but once the magnetic pipes have plasma in them, they will not empty and must be charged at all times or they melt....this is my dilemma. This machine is the coolest thing I've ever built in minecraft, and I could use the power from it sometimes, but for many reasons including chunk loading and lack of a large enough power sink I cannot run it indefinitely.
In that case, yes, you have no solution.

Reactions: thcv

Xaros

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, new guy here.

I'm building this reactor on a server (legit survival) with 2 friends and I got a sick, huge (and prolly funny) problem:
I've set 4 VDGs "under" the magnets, basically one of them in every half quarter. I'm powering everyone of them with a steam engine with water pipes going down (we built the reactor on a platform over the ocean), converging in the middle where 4 electric engines+pumps give water to the steam engines. The VDGs turned on and as soon as someone goes in range of the building he gets zapped until death. I tried to run and destroy the VDGs, tried to go down and stop the pumps until the water in the pipes end with no luck. Every time I die

I can't do anything around the reactor, not even finish it. I just needed a deuterium/tritium farm in the upper floor before turning it on but the whole area is now just a deadly trap. Am I just dumb or there's something not working as intended?

Sorry for my english, trying my best.