Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

thcv

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learned that it's pretty much impossible to turn this thing off once it's going, the magnetic pipes will not empty. Not too happy about that, not only do I not need the power from this, but it's built on a greylisted hardmode server and I cannot keep it loaded indefinitely.

Either the toroids aren't getting enough charge or one of the injectors is backwards.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
In that case the only option is to build it at server spawn to take advantage of the naturally loaded chunks that always surround spawn.

Reactions: thcv

thcv

Jul 29, 2019
In that case the only option is to build it at server spawn to take advantage of the naturally loaded chunks that always surround spawn.

That is certainly an option, unfortunately it won't work for me.....it's not my server and spawn is protected.

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
Main structure of the reactor done in survival, however before i think about pushing the red button, i'm trying to think about all the protections i could make around it.

And after some creative testing i found myself helpess with the plasma beam... is there any way to stop the beam so that, if something goes wrong, it doesn't make a straight line for whatever distance it wants to, incinerating anything in the way ? I tried a bedrock wall, water, several layers of steel or anything i could come up with but, it seems to go through anything i throw in the way (at least in a solo creative test world). Is it visual only, maybe ?

As a side note, i noticed rain can lower the effect of Van de Graaff generators up to the point that the toroids don't channel the beam anymore, is it working as intended ? It seems logical so, i'll have to add a roof to my design, however it was quite a surprise when i realized that.

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
No success with either railcraft steel or HSLA steel blocks, unless it needs a really deep wall maybe ?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I voted Other (Please Specify). I plan on building at LEAST four of these. Once I move out of my dirt shack. And make some stone tools. ;)

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
I voted Other (Please Specify). I plan on building at LEAST four of these. Once I move out of my dirt shack. And make some stone tools. ;)
You have a long way to go. :p Lots and lots of mining needed beforehand, and then some. :p Focus on the basics, then? ;) (Make it end-game aim. :D)

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
Getting that thing to work is surely harder than expected. If the neutrons absorbers melting in a few seconds wasn't enough, i just realized my reactor decided to fire neutrons on two layers rather than a single one, so i have to re-do the whole boiler design now, whew.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Getting that thing to work is surely harder than expected. If the neutrons absorbers melting in a few seconds wasn't enough, i just realized my reactor decided to fire neutrons on two layers rather than a single one, so i have to re-do the whole boiler design now, whew.
The upper layer is probably a clientside glitch.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
You have a long way to go. :p Lots and lots of mining needed beforehand, and then some. :p Focus on the basics, then? ;) (Make it end-game aim. :D)
I am actually on to bedrock tools and armor now, and just found out that using the jetpack in a pool of lava....is bad. One large explosion later, and I was forced to use /tpx. Last time I make a linking book to a ocean lava world without putting in the platform modifier. Oops.

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
The upper layer is probably a clientside glitch.

That's weird, it was my first thought as i imported the save in a solo test world, so it was very laggy, however i was taking neutron damage (radiation sickness, nausea and poison) while standing above the boiler/absorber ring, and i could see them fly from the toroids one layer above normal. I'm using 4 injectors and the usual setup boiler/absorber/boiler in a square, most neutrons behaved just fine though i noticed they tend to concentrate on a few spots around the square, then after getting hit several times from nowhere i noticed some of them flying above.

So i guess it's a bug, maybe solved in a later version ? Still on 18B until the final Monster update, now i'm not sure if i should redesign the whole reactor to include a second layer :p

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That's weird, it was my first thought as i imported the save in a solo test world, so it was very laggy, however i was taking neutron damage (radiation sickness, nausea and poison) while standing above the boiler/absorber ring, and i could see them fly from the toroids one layer above normal. I'm using 4 injectors and the usual setup boiler/absorber/boiler in a square, most neutrons behaved just fine though i noticed they tend to concentrate on a few spots around the square, then after getting hit several times from nowhere i noticed some of them flying above.

So i guess it's a bug, maybe solved in a later version ? Still on 18B until the final Monster update, now i'm not sure if i should redesign the whole reactor to include a second layer :p
@Reika will surely tell you to upgrade your version.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
I am actually on to bedrock tools and armor now, and just found out that using the jetpack in a pool of lava....is bad. One large explosion later, and I was forced to use /tpx. Last time I make a linking book to a ocean lava world without putting in the platform modifier. Oops.
Well, what did you expect? :p Jet Fuel + Fire source = bad

As a tip, try keeping an enderpouch with an enderchest containing linking books to your voice base. :)

EDIT: Derpity derpity I can't english! derp

Last edited: