Why no new launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathGoth

Jul 29, 2019
... so just starting up minecraft + magic farm, going to the title screen, and no farther, and memory allocation can vary significantly.

Java's memory usage is non-deterministic now.
I'm curious if that was to avoid some sort of buffer attack.

What do you mean?

I have been trying to set up a server and client for 1.6.4 for a while, there is a whole lot of mess with this version of MC and mods..

My PC is a decent PC hone built..
I7 3820, 660 TI OC 16 gigs of ram and a SSD drive..(I mention the drive cause thats is where my folder for MC is.)

Anyway past versions of MC modded like DW 147 and 152 my pc barely noticed anything.. 164 I had to up the memory to 3 gigs and would consistently run past 1.4 gigs running mostly then would get out of memory alot and the vc it runs high with a stock fan it runs worse playing recent MC than while playing a 3d game like sim city, Xcom, GTA or anything...

I am curious to why this is happening..

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean?

I have been trying to set up a server and client for 1.6.4 for a while, there is a whole lot of mess with this version of MC and mods..

My PC is a decent PC hone built..
I7 3820, 660 TI OC 16 gigs of ram and a SSD drive..(I mention the drive cause thats is where my folder for MC is.)

Anyway past versions of MC modded like DW 147 and 152 my pc barely noticed anything.. 164 I had to up the memory to 3 gigs and would consistently run past 1.4 gigs running mostly then would get out of memory alot and the vc it runs high with a stock fan it runs worse playing recent MC than while playing a 3d game like sim city, Xcom, GTA or anything...

I am curious to why this is happening..

I have had the opposite experience. I play on a laptop with 6 gigs of ram and another two on a secondary graphics card. In 1.47 and 1.5.2 I had some packs that only had 70 or so mods take up to 15 mins to boot up, but with 1.64 I've had less than 5 mins, and little client side lag whilst playing. I've used the vanilla launcher for my 1.64 pack, and the ATLauncher, but haven't tried anything 1.64 on FTb, so I can't verify that I won't have any issues there, but I just find it odd.

I know that SSD drives are supposedly faster, but if your operating system is ran off the same drive, the data throughput of your connections (drive to board or vice versa) may not be sufficient enough to take full advantage of the drive speed. You say you built the computer yourself, maybe that's part of the problem. I've no doubt that you have enough pc knowledge to get good hardware, otherwise you probably wouldn't have taken on the task yourself, however did you have the foresight to think about throughput rates? If building an ultra fast computer was as easy as everybody thinks, everybody would be doing it. There's a reason most people whom build the computers at places like NewEgg and AlienWare have backgrounds in computer science.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
... so just starting up minecraft + magic farm, going to the title screen, and no farther, and memory allocation can vary significantly.

Java's memory usage is non-deterministic now.
I'm curious if that was to avoid some sort of buffer attack.
key you ought to start a thread about the memory stuffs and link people there. I am sure several people would be very interested.
Sorry, I put that in the wrong thread. It isn't related to the launcher or mod packs.
A public thread on memory issues, java 7, etc, will be coming once I learn a little more about what I'm talking about -- I don't know enough yet.

clarity

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I saw the two new launchers that started up today...Horizons and Direwolf. Both seemed to be loaded with problems. When I tried...Horizons tries to load and instantly the screen dies. Direwolf I actually get a screeen. It's really close to creating a game, but then that dies. XD

From what I read, it looks like it's trying to load as 1.7.2, and not 1.6.4. :p

I think I'll give it a few days before trying again. But, hey...it's a start. :)

Wild1145

Jul 29, 2019
<Snip>

As a final note, FTB has largely been built on the backs of help from the many volunteers. This remains and if anyone feels they have the skills needed to join the team and help (right now specifically on the Launcher development and website development) please feel free to contact me via a pm on the forums. Whilst I always appreciate offers from people, right now unfortunately we do not have room to take on people who are still learning how to code etc. We need people who are already experienced and ready to join the team.

<Snip>

I did PM you, I am interested in website development with you guys, and would love to be a part of this if you are still looking for developers. :) If you no longer are in need then if you could say then i would appreciate it ;)

DeathGoth

Jul 29, 2019
I have had the opposite experience. I play on a laptop with 6 gigs of ram and another two on a secondary graphics card. In 1.47 and 1.5.2 I had some packs that only had 70 or so mods take up to 15 mins to boot up, but with 1.64 I've had less than 5 mins, and little client side lag whilst playing. I've used the vanilla launcher for my 1.64 pack, and the ATLauncher, but haven't tried anything 1.64 on FTb, so I can't verify that I won't have any issues there, but I just find it odd.

I know that SSD drives are supposedly faster, but if your operating system is ran off the same drive, the data throughput of your connections (drive to board or vice versa) may not be sufficient enough to take full advantage of the drive speed. You say you built the computer yourself, maybe that's part of the problem. I've no doubt that you have enough pc knowledge to get good hardware, otherwise you probably wouldn't have taken on the task yourself, however did you have the foresight to think about throughput rates? If building an ultra fast computer was as easy as everybody thinks, everybody would be doing it. There's a reason most people whom build the computers at places like NewEgg and AlienWare have backgrounds in computer science.

I am home schooled on PC's.. I used to build them all the time back in the day and maintain them.. THis is a new build I did the last one i did was 06 or something..

I guess we should make a new topic.. derailing this one...

exodusronin

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks slowpoke for the update, as always very informative and I look forward to the new launcher

Owner: Kids Hooked on Minecraft
Site:www.kidshookedonminecraft.com
K.H.O.M. Facebook Fan page
Twitter
khom%20banner2.png

WolfLeader116

Jul 29, 2019
Oh come on, all you do is type instructions into a text file, how different is that?
Kappa.png
A website has a completely different type of code from a launcher. I personally don't know what code the launcher uses, but I am going to assume that it's mostly java and java has a much different coding language from when you want to code a website to do certain things.[DOUBLEPOST=1386734094][/DOUBLEPOST]
OK so a broad ETA, the FTB launcher may or may not be out around the same time as Half Life 3. No actually seriously, I dont think I am even going to joke about this. Its not that I dont want to give you an ETA, its just that we really dont have one that has any bearing on reality. The problem is again that we cannot predict how much time people will have to complete what needs to be done. Without that knowledge and ETA is just a guess and means nothing to anyone.
This makes sense because as of what was said before, something (I forgot what) was supposed to come out when minecraft 1.6 came out I think? All I remember really is that it definitely did not come out then. It was just an estimated time period and was way off. (Whatever it is, I think it's been out for 2-3 months now. Sorry for my uncertainty.

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
I am not stupid.
There are varying degrees of stupidity ranging from ignoramus to emoticon users and arrogant moderators. As a member of the team, you should learn to just let certain comments go, otherwise you get smart asses like me doing things like this to your forum, making your jobs harder, so cut it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.