Why isn't Factorization compared to TE or IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
For me, I'm not keen on having a whole new power system and yet another way of processing ores (all the different types of clumps/dusts/whatever make me shudder). The game is more then just getting more ores.
Routers seem too magical, and I think make builds too compact. Barrels are too cheap, Wrath Lamps too expensive.

In my mod pack, I removed IC, but wanted alternative tech, which was either FZ or the UE mods. In the end, UE won just because of content (even though most of it is an undocumented mystery) and a more consistent design. Mekanism has it's own type of Barrels and ore tripling. I added in SGCrafts Floodlight mod which are directional redstone controlled "Wrath Lamps".

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Routers work very well in conjunction with AE. I use an export bus to fill a router, then use that router to fill specific slots. It allows for more compact designs. i.e. Filling centrifuges with cells is universal with all centrifuges. You may choose to maintain the top export bus as to allow for constant adjustment of what you want to go in, but it saves you from having to use an additional export bus per centrifuge.

Factorization isn't a bad mod by any means. I like some of the features, it just doesn't synergize well with other mods as the energy bridge between charge and everything else would require a power converter, instead of having conventional techniques (I don't consider power converters conventional as they offer universal/lossless conversions)

Also, you have nothing else to do with all that lead/silver that it'd be pretty dumb just to throw the mod out the door, without ever really trying it.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Hydra, check out the thread "Is IC2 dead yet?" and you'll understand what I mean.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Hydra, check out the thread "Is IC2 dead yet?" and you'll understand what I mean.

You're inflating the meaning of 'war'. I don't understand why people are so against people just having a discussion about opinions. It's nothing more. It would be nice if people would start inflating words like 'war' and 'hate'; you're not using them for their actual meaning. You could've just started a topic with "So what about Factorization?" without pretending people are killing each other over a silly mod. A heated debate is not equal to war.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization is a nice mod, but with all the other systems which are easier, cheaper, faster, and just about as effective; it falls short. Has anyone else tried to make an item filter for a router? Take a look at the recipe and you'll see why people prefer pipes and AE.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
Two words: Extra Utilities.
Magnum Torches? I use those, but I like to light up my factory without masses of torches/lamps.
I have used factorization for supplemental ore processing. If I was getting short on an ore I would dig for some and toss it in the system. I really like how many steps their are. The speed also makes you make banks of the machines.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization is a nice mod, but with all the other systems which are easier, cheaper, faster, and just about as effective; it falls short. Has anyone else tried to make an item filter for a router? Take a look at the recipe and you'll see why people prefer pipes and AE.
I usually make several stacks.

It's not exactly early game automation, but once you get to the point where you can, then it becomes trivial.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
maybe this has changed in more recent versions, but the biggest detractor against factorization, to me, is its not a one-stop ore processing shop. in 1.47 it could only handle like 9 ore types, meaning you have to set up another system for different ores anyway.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I
I usually make several stacks.

I'm curious as to what use you've put to so many item filters? I normally use routers to significantly diminish continuous energy costs associated with an ME network and never have to worry about which item is going into a router because I'm exporting only the specific item(s) into the router and filtering by machine.

maybe this has changed in more recent versions, but the biggest detractor against factorization, to me, is its not a one-stop ore processing shop. in 1.47 it could only handle like 9 ore types, meaning you have to set up another system for different ores anyway.

I'd also look at its ore processing more if I knew it could do something with most everything in the ore dictionary.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious as to what use you've put to so many item filters? I normally use routers to significantly diminish continuous energy costs associated with an ME network and never have to worry about which item is going into a router because I'm exporting only the specific item(s) into the router and filtering by machine.
To be honest, It's mostly because "I can". I used to use large amount of routers before AE and sorta got used to that, that's when I learned it's better to have 'em on hand. It sorta just stuck with me. My current base only has one router at the moment.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
It has gone back and forth a bit. I really feel like Thermal Expansion hit the chord perfectly. Factorization has always been "hard mode, big payout" but it hasn't always been clear to me that "big payout" was really big enough.

These days, Factorization isn't really about the ore process though. It's more like the Routers & Wrath Lamps mod.. but there is so much more to it.
  1. Routers are amazing, indeed, but servos are up-and-coming.
  2. It has 3 early game features that are very attractive.
  3. Everyone underestimates bags of holding but once they realize what they are, they shut up and enjoy quietly.
  4. Few people realize the potential of Factorization Solar for the MJ ecosystem.
  5. Few people realize how much charge comes from even tiny Railcraft boilers.
  6. Few people realize that Factorization is basically the cheapest way to overclock and feed smelting jobs on a shoestring power budget.

Can you elaborate some here, especially on points 3-6? Like a lot of people, I used the barrel/router system a lot before AE was out. Since then, I'm afraid my use of Factorization has been limited to wrath lamps and the pocket crafting table. It would be cool to hear more about how it can be useful even in an instance that contains TE etc.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, It's mostly because "I can". I used to use large amount of routers before AE and sorta got used to that, that's when I learned it's better to have 'em on hand. It sorta just stuck with me. My current base only has one router at the moment.

Heh, "because I can" is always a good reason in minecraft. I did try once to use an item filter'd router with a nuclear reactor to see if it could pull out just the depleted cells, but I couldn't get it to work right and testing was usually disastrous.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
These days, Factorization isn't really about the ore process though.

Speak for yourself. There hasn't been a world I haven't made a factorization ore processor at some point. It generally got replaced by a GT Indus. Grinder, but even then I used factorization for silver and tin.

Now, without GT, even with mekanism, my use of factorization is limited primarily by my access to steam. Which is the actual weakness of the mod: Not only its third (fourth?) type energy network, but one in which there's a ridiculous lack of production choices.

People need to realize automated processing time doesn't matter. If you're staring at a GUI, you are the problem. Spend that time building another crystalizer. It's a frigging vanilla cauldron with a stick and string.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Can you elaborate some here, especially on points 3-6? Like a lot of people, I used the barrel/router system a lot before AE was out. Since then, I'm afraid my use of Factorization has been limited to wrath lamps and the pocket crafting table. It would be cool to hear more about how it can be useful even in an instance that contains TE etc.

3. Dunno, personally haven't used them.
4. A maximum array of mirrors can produce a not insignificant amount of mj/t because these mirrors are pointed at solar boilers which produce steam which anything steam powered can use, such as steam engines. If you're not using silver for other things, why NOT make one? Sure it rains or is night about 60% of the time, but when the sun is up it is otherwise free power and a productive way to keep excess silver from clogging your inventories.
5. The solar turbine can be powered by steam from any source without requiring powerconverters. My experience is they don't connect with liquiducts but do connect with waterproof pipe and liquid transport nodes. So if you don't want to invest in mirrors or deal with the power going out at night, powering a turbine with another steam source is a possibility.
6. Furnace heaters cause vanilla furnaces to smelt faster and without requiring fuel (beyond the charge powering the heater). Routers can easily/quickly feed and extract from a vast array of furnaces sitting on top of heaters allowing for massive increases in parallel processing of materials. If you don't want to muck around with charge power, routers can also handle the fuel distribution. Most importantly, if building a processing array like this it becomes as easy as just plopping another machine next to one already there to expand it. Basically it can grow along with your progress.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
4. A maximum array of mirrors can produce a not insignificant amount of mj/t because these mirrors are pointed at solar boilers which produce steam which anything steam powered can use, such as steam engines. If you're not using silver for other things, why NOT make one? Sure it rains or is night about 60% of the time, but when the sun is up it is otherwise free power and a productive way to keep excess silver from clogging your inventories.
5. The solar turbine can be powered by steam from any source without requiring powerconverters. My experience is they don't connect with liquiducts but do connect with waterproof pipe and liquid transport nodes. So if you don't want to invest in mirrors or deal with the power going out at night, powering a turbine with another steam source is a possibility.
6. Furnace heaters cause vanilla furnaces to smelt faster and without requiring fuel (beyond the charge powering the heater). Routers can easily/quickly feed and extract from a vast array of furnaces sitting on top of heaters allowing for massive increases in parallel processing of materials. If you don't want to muck around with charge power, routers can also handle the fuel distribution. Most importantly, if building a processing array like this it becomes as easy as just plopping another machine next to one already there to expand it. Basically it can grow along with your progress.

Wow, really? I'll have to try the furnace heater trick next time I start a new world. Didn't know I could power the turbine with a boiler, either.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, really? I'll have to try the furnace heater trick next time I start a new world. Didn't know I could power the turbine with a boiler, either.
One heater can power 5 furnaces (the 6th side is power) so if you can keep the power coming you've got a mean smelting system.

Status
Not open for further replies.