Why isn't Factorization compared to TE or IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure it's the same for AE, Pipes and transfer nodes, even wooden pipes might work, worth testing.

Def need to test that the others need to be vaild connection for pipes and the such. Routers don't care they just see a slot and can drop stuff in it.

I'm at work at the moment but I will test later tonight

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Why bother with Routers when I have Applied Energistics? Why bother with Barrels when I have DSU's? Honestly, there is zero use for Factorization.
Barrels are much easier to make.
Routers do not require access to every machine it inputs into and can input into any side without touching that side. This is very useful for making for example IC2 generator towers. With routers you can build 3x3 with 4 generators per level very easily. That is much harder with applied energistics, since input has to go from the bottom.

Of course, if the only goal is to get maximum effect others may perform better, but I love my four generator towers with 120 generators each. 4800 EU/t fills all my requirements, and they take up one 3x3x30 space each. With AE instead of routers, that would probably be doubled, not to mention the quite huge quartz cost.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure it's the same for AE, Pipes and transfer nodes, even wooden pipes might work, worth testing.

Conveyors can get things into the world that you could not believe. They also have special case code for vanilla hoppers. They can accept input like any forge-friendly machine. They can also switch directions when given a Redstone signal. They're actually quite versatile and powerful. I think Emys was the one who modernized them, and it shows.

They are nearly as clever as DSUs in terms of compatibility.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Def need to test that the others need to be vaild connection for pipes and the such. Routers don't care they just see a slot and can drop stuff in it.

I'm at work at the moment but I will test later tonight

I have tested all of these looking for crashes for RR releases. It all works. The code for conveyors uses an inventory like most machines have, it just removed things from it. It all works.

You may recall my farm processing station from an earlier LP had a variety of things linking to conveyors.

Reactions: Saice

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like factorization is also too much of a hybrid between magic and tech. Though, I have so much lead and silver that I wish I had something more to do with factorization.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I feel like factorization is also too much of a hybrid between magic and tech. Though, I have so much lead and silver that I wish I had something more to do with factorization.
Try setting your MPS recipes to TE compatible and try to build with wiring that costs 6 copper and 3 silver. Then start making all the hardened glass necessary to build enough conduit and liquiduct to cover an installation large enough that it needs chunkloaders to keep it all going even when you are home.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Shneekey, shut up. You're killing a person's interest in a mod, especially one that could have become one of the most original mods if it wasn't so slow. FZ is a good mod, and while you can say "I have AE and DSUs instead of routers and barrels", you're essentialy saying that it's the best solution avaliable. That kills entire mods and leave us with no competition, and people do the same thing every damn time.
Options to use any mod you want to do a certain function allows innovative designs, and I think that's something we all like.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Shneekey, shut up. You're killing a person's interest in a mod, especially one that could have become one of the most original mods if it wasn't so slow. FZ is a good mod, and while you can say "I have AE and DSUs instead of routers and barrels", you're essentialy saying that it's the best solution avaliable. That kills entire mods and leave us with no competition, and people do the same thing every damn time.
Options to use any mod you want to do a certain function allows innovative designs, and I think that's something we all like.
Quite bluntly, it is my opinion that Factorization is a well-written mod that has absolutely no use in combination with most of the other mods I play with.

Factorization, much like GregTech, functions best in its own environment. It has a lot of interesting concepts, and a lot of interesting mechanics. However, it does exceedingly poorly when other options are available. Gregorious decided the best solution is to start tinkering around with other people's mods. Factorization took a much more mature perspective. However, it has no business being in a mod pack which contains MFR, AE, and TE.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
The big thing with factorization is the amount of time and resources required.

Yes, it triples ores. So what? By the time I've juggled items I could have mined the extra ores and more.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Why bother with Routers when I have Applied Energistics?

Probably the dumbest question I've heard all year. Of all the varied item movement options, routers do something AE cannot. It provides a single point of entry or exit for huge banks of machines, and in doing so saves resources that would go to interfaces for all those machines and space to wire them up.

Mekanism curbstomps Factorization as far as ore-tripling. For that matter, either IC2 or TE both are massively better at ore processing in general, due to ease of automation and rate of processing.

Its quicker to get factorization up to 3x long before mekanism, I just did so on the RR reset. You can get a slag furnace and start doubling your ores with only stone and coal to power it.

You're doing nothing but announce your ignorance by making such grandiose claims about a mod you clearly know nothing about.[DOUBLEPOST=1375671998][/DOUBLEPOST]
The big thing with factorization is the amount of time and resources required.

Yes, it triples ores. So what? By the time I've juggled items I could have mined the extra ores and more.

You do understand there's no reason to stand there and watch it right? Go mine your ores and triple them too.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Try setting your MPS recipes to TE compatible and try to build with wiring that costs 6 copper and 3 silver. Then start making all the hardened glass necessary to build enough conduit and liquiduct to cover an installation large enough that it needs chunkloaders to keep it all going even when you are home.

Well hey there, if you're so low on lead, clearly you didn't know that factorization not only triples silver, but gives you the same amount in lead too!

Not to mention, factorization triples iron and gold gravel ore from TiC. Mekanism does not.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization routers are extremely useful and provide unparalleled functionality in some situations.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019

Seems to me there's a decent amount of competition already, arising from the existence of mods that are able to compete. That's the key. The mods themselves bring enough to the table that a not insignificant number of people choose to use them. Factorization is not one of those mods. It got our attention with pocket crafting tables and barrels and lost us with fields of solar panels and rows of slow-ass machines. If you're serious about wanting to produce a good mod, understanding what attracts people to use what you offer is fairly important, and that also means understanding what drives people away. A mod that allows you to triple ore and people STILL don't want to use it? There must be a reason...

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If you're serious about wanting to produce a good mod, understanding what attracts people to use what you offer is fairly important, and that also means understanding what drives people away.

While good advice some devs have taken the "for the people" mod design to some odd extremes. Fast, Cheap, and Easy seems to becoming the order of the day with no regards to impact on play. And while I am a huge supporter of Play the game the way YOU want to play I fear this trend will start pushing mods it a direction that over all is just not going to be fun. At least to people like me.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
While good advice some devs have taken the "for the people" mod design to some odd extremes. Fast, Cheap, and Easy seems to becoming the order of the day with no regards to impact on play. And while I am a huge supporter of Play the game the way YOU want to play I fear this trend will start pushing mods it a direction that over all is just not going to be fun. At least to people like me.

A lot of things regarding public opinion operate on a pendulum. For a while, things in modded Minecraft were getting harder and harder, and there was a lot of support for that. Now we're seeing movement in the opposite direction. One day, it'll swing back to a preference for greater difficulty, and the cycle will begin again.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of things regarding public opinion operate on a pendulum. For a while, things in modded Minecraft were getting harder and harder, and there was a lot of support for that. Now we're seeing movement in the opposite direction. One day, it'll swing back to a preference for greater difficulty, and the cycle will begin again.

It has gone back and forth a bit. I really feel like Thermal Expansion hit the chord perfectly. Factorization has always been "hard mode, big payout" but it hasn't always been clear to me that "big payout" was really big enough.

These days, Factorization isn't really about the ore process though. It's more like the Routers & Wrath Lamps mod.. but there is so much more to it.
  1. Routers are amazing, indeed, but servos are up-and-coming.
  2. It has 3 early game features that are very attractive.
  3. Everyone underestimates bags of holding but once they realize what they are, they shut up and enjoy quietly.
  4. Few people realize the potential of Factorization Solar for the MJ ecosystem.
  5. Few people realize how much charge comes from even tiny Railcraft boilers.
  6. Few people realize that Factorization is basically the cheapest way to overclock and feed smelting jobs on a shoestring power budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.