Why is Applied Energistics crafting stopping?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Isn't that a known bug with the latest version of AE? I usually use the workaround of picking up and then putting back a pattern in the MAC.
I am getting occationally "hangups" for for certain crafts in current version of Monster(for example the crafting of ME basic processors). But this is only occasionally and can usually be fixed by just re-queuing the craft. (have a suspicion that this problem is caused when several steps of the craft requires the same item and one step then "steals" the item just crafted by another step).

The problem that the OP explains sounds a lot more like it stalls due to the bugged MV-transformer recipe.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
On my world I found out that moving the MAC so it is not crossing chunk boundaries (press F9 to see) is a HUGE help. I still get occasional hangups but before (when my MAC was accross a chunk boundary) I got hangs pretty much all the time. Now it is only about 3-5% of the time.

And BTW, this is a known bug which AlgorithmX2 will not fix given that he is no longer working on the 1.6.4 version of AE.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I have this aswell in my world, at times the AE system will just freeze up and refuses to craft any new items.
I believe @Bevo had a fix for this in his world, where he connected a dark cable onto a rednet controller, where after a certain time interval the rednet controller would send out a pulse, thus disconnecting/connecting a part onto the AE system, which would reset the system which would fix the problem

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I have this aswell in my world, at times the AE system will just freeze up and refuses to craft any new items.
I believe @Bevo had a fix for this in his world, where he connected a dark cable onto a rednet controller, where after a certain time interval the rednet controller would send out a pulse, thus disconnecting/connecting a part onto the AE system, which would reset the system which would fix the problem
Doesn't that stop all crafting recipes entirely?
or does that now just resume crafting after the pulse?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

No it stops them. I don't do this automatically for that reason but only when there is an actual problem. Also I recommend checking the chunk boundaries. It really helped a lot in my case.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

the automated crafting will just reboot, but the current manually requested crafting request I don't know for sure
sometimes when I reset the system manually myself by attaching and breaking a cable it'll one time finish the request, and other time it'll delete the request...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
the automated crafting will just reboot, but the current manually requested crafting request I don't know for sure
sometimes when I reset the system manually myself by attaching and breaking a cable it'll one time finish the request, and other time it'll delete the request...
Any change to the network(breaking or adding items etc. Loading or unloading parts of the network) WILL completely reset any queued crafts. You really don't want to have something doing this periodically IMO unless you only do very short crafts and don't mind having to re-queue them sometimes because they got cancelled.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
This really only works on subnets where you won't be manually crafting stuff. When Algo watched that video he yelled at me in horror for what I had done! :D It works fantastic for the subnet I had set up, and is truly the only solution I've ever seen for that bug. His fear, and mine, is that people might try doing it on their main network. I really should comment on that in my next AgSkies video. Glad you reminded me! :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
On my world I found out that moving the MAC so it is not crossing chunk boundaries (press F9 to see) is a HUGE help. I still get occasional hangups but before (when my MAC was accross a chunk boundary) I got hangs pretty much all the time. Now it is only about 3-5% of the time.

And BTW, this is a known bug which AlgorithmX2 will not fix given that he is no longer working on the 1.6.4 version of AE.
Actually a bit sad to hear this. Thought about it when just recently setting up a new big ME network and designing the base around it. But thought it surely had been fixed/not an issue so now my main MAC is right smack in the corner of 4 chunks >.<

Ricewind19901

Jul 29, 2019
The problem that the OP explains sounds a lot more like it stalls due to the bugged MV-transformer recipe.

The recipe in NEI was different than the one I'm using to craft a MV-Transformer. I can request transformer upgrades, mv and hv transformers without any problems. It's mainly items with a lot of sub recipes that it gets stuck on (haven't had this in previous modpacks suck as direwolf20).
I AM using thermal expansion copper and tin however (to craft IC2 thingies). If that's the problem, how can I convert all ores to IC2? (preferably with a config option)[DOUBLEPOST=1401278297][/DOUBLEPOST]

So if I set my MAC within 1 chunk it's fixed you reckon?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I AM using thermal expansion copper and tin however (to craft IC2 thingies). If that's the problem, how can I convert all ores to IC2?
No as long as you have access to those ingots it should be fine. Honestly think the MAC is able to pick other forge dictionary compatible ingots if it runs out even. It has been able to do so in the past.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
The recipe in NEI was different than the one I'm using to craft a MV-Transformer. I can request transformer upgrades, mv and hv transformers without any problems. It's mainly items with a lot of sub recipes that it gets stuck on (haven't had this in previous modpacks suck as direwolf20).
I AM using thermal expansion copper and tin however (to craft IC2 thingies). If that's the problem, how can I convert all ores to IC2? (preferably with a config option)[DOUBLEPOST=1401278297][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not 100% fixed. I still get occasional hangs. But in my case it was a HUGE lot better.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Maybe you need to point the interfaces towards the machines.
That is actually a good point. If you have several ME interfaces on machines adjacent to each other, I have earlier had the problem of them exporting into each other instead of the machine. If that happens the ME network just waits as it have exported the materials but never received the finished item(thinking it is still working on the craft). After that time I always direct the export direction with a wrench.

Ricewind19901

Jul 29, 2019
That is actually a good point. If you have several ME interfaces on machines adjacent to each other, I have earlier had the problem of them exporting into each other instead of the machine. If that happens the ME network just waits as it have exported the materials but never received the finished item(thinking it is still working on the craft). After that time I always direct the export direction with a wrench.
Of course! Why didn't this come to mind first. I'll try this right away see if it helps.

Edit: That didn't fix the issue. Looking in the terminal I find 9 solar panels and 9 low voltage solar arrays (yet the crafting terminal indicates it's still crafting iron plates for a regular panel) FYI I'm crafting a single MV-Solar Array
Edit2: It's still crafting regular solar panels even though the crafting terminal is completely empty.
What the hell is going on???

Last edited:

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013

I use the dictionary converter from mariculture to do some items, and I use better barrels from JABBA to do the others. In mariculture you can put in an item (say TE copper) and get a IC2 copper out of it. In JABBA you can put all like items such as copper ingots (regardless of mod) and they are all the same. The thing with JABBA is you would need to put the item you want them to be (in this case TE copper) in the barrel first.

On another note, you can use TE copper in IC2 recipes, but if the autocrafting recipe you used when attuning it to the pattern shows one (say IC2), than that is the one you have to use.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
On another note, you can use TE copper in IC2 recipes, but if the autocrafting recipe you used when attuning it to the pattern shows one (say IC2), than that is the one you have to use.
This it NOT true. I have experienced it before but just tested it to make absolutely sure. The ME autocrafting WILL use the ore dictionary to find other valid items if there are none of the listed available.

If you want to test it out your self, put a recipe for something like TE3 "Tin ingot"->TE3 "Tin nugget" in a MAC. Then remove all TE3 Tin and add IC2 Tin and you will see that it crafts the nuggets just fine.

But the MAC will favour the item listed in the pattern and if you have a recipe in the system for that item, then that will be the chosen one(be there resources to craft that item or not). So for example if you have a recipe for Forestry bronze in the MAC and used that in the pattern, then it will never use other kinds of bronze in the system no matter if it can craft the Forestry bronze or not. It will always attempt to use the recipe.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
so many swings and so many misses in this thread.

This is a common problem when you put too many patterns on a slow machine, or put subsequent patterns on the same machine, its an export collision on an ME interface. My guess is you have both plates and casings being crafted on the same metal former. the crafting tries to look ahead, criss-crosses the plates and casings in exporting, then sits and waits for ages instead of continually exporting items into the machine. Split to recipes across more metal formers to prevent this issue. I prefer to have one for iron plates, one for 'other' plates, one for all casings, and one for all wires.

I commonly ran into this issue with AE processors in TE machines. The quartz dust-silicon and processor-cooked processor recipes would criss-cross and muck up the system. When you cancel the request and pick and replace the pattern, you see it export the queued items and produce them. I'd fight with it and do this then get 6 processors more than I ordered because of cancelling specific items in a craft queue re-sending more items to the stuck queue. The solution for me was splitting it over several capacitor-upgraded EnderIO machines.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
so many swings and so many misses in this thread.
Hmm very sure of your self aren't you...

This is a common problem when you put too many patterns on a slow machine, or put subsequent patterns on the same machine, its an export collision on an ME interface. My guess is you have both plates and casings being crafted on the same metal former. the crafting tries to look ahead, criss-crosses the plates and casings in exporting, then sits and waits for ages instead of continually exporting items into the machine. Split to recipes across more metal formers to prevent this issue. I prefer to have one for iron plates, one for 'other' plates, one for all casings, and one for all wires.

I commonly ran into this issue with AE processors in TE machines. The quartz dust-silicon and processor-cooked processor recipes would criss-cross and muck up the system. When you cancel the request and pick and replace the pattern, you see it export the queued items and produce them. I'd fight with it and do this then get 6 processors more than I ordered because of cancelling specific items in a craft queue re-sending more items to the stuck queue. The solution for me was splitting it over several capacitor-upgraded EnderIO machines.
Doubt this is an issue present in the newest Monster version(or any AE version that I have ever played since AE was put into the first FTB pack) since I have basically been doing everything you just mentioned in every single build. I have for example until recently in my Monster world been doing all my Metal forming Rolling on the same machine and it have worked just perfect.

Also don't really understand your hypothesis of the system somehow getting "confused" lock itself in on recipes that it doesn't have ingredients for yet. That it to me almost an insult to the authors intelligence. There is some rather complex stuff going on behind the scenes of AE I am sure. Proposing that they haven't thought about putting in a simple check for ingredients before any eventual "locking in" of crafts are done, would just be...

I don't disagree with spreading recipes in for example the metalformers out over several machines. Actually just recently done it myself, but not due to this. Was purely to speed up crafting. But still got plates and casings of the same metal on the same machine and it works just fine.

Reactions: Padfoote

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I have this problem in a system running the Direwolf20 pack. nothing fixes except breaking and replacing the controller. Whether it's my system or not, breaking any other piece has no effect at all on the system. Once they system sticks, it's good and stuck, until the controller is broke and replaced. And in my case, it's only for internally crafted items. I can request a crafting table, and it'll jam, but I can still request a stack of smooth stone.