Why Does Everyone Care So Much About Expense

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you care how expensive things are?

• No

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Depends (please leave comment explaining)

Votes: 23 24.2%

• Total voters

darkslayr425

Jul 29, 2019
I think the reason expense can be so annoying, is that for things like the gregtech player detecter, they can be so hard to get(needi riduim/platinum, which im not upto in progression) the use of something functional becomes nul.
Not being able to craft items for FUN builds, that dont produce anything, because of prohibitavily expensive recipies ruin the fun in a sanbox game

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
i think you completely missed the point. i think i even repeated myself too many times. I said that the better option would be to nerf it, not raise the cost. now nobody wants to play with it. raising the cost is the lazy man's choice, and too many modders use it waay too liberally.
If it was nerfed, then still nobody would play with it. Its supposed to be the best automining tool in the game. Nerf it and the quarry & turtles would have no competition. If anything, it should be the quarry and turtles that are nerfed (and not by raising the cost even further). Then, we'd also have a reason to use the intermediate SC mining tools.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
If it was nerfed, then still nobody would play with it. Its supposed to be the best automining tool in the game. Nerf it and the quarry & turtles would have no competition. If anything, it should be the quarry and turtles that are nerfed (and not by raising the cost even further). Then, we'd also have a reason to use the intermediate SC mining tools.

Or they could just realize we could have equal tools and not everyone has to be the best? You're still not getting the point and I'm getting tired.

martyyp

Jul 29, 2019
I love expense, and A LOT of it because it makes sense that you have to use tons of resources to get something good like a fusion reactor or even simple things like a macerator. With quarries and mining ships, expense should be even higher for somethings

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It should make sense in terms of a logical progression, not necessarily reality. Cost should also not be artificially inflated. If the base game says you can travel to hell with a flint and an iron ingot, that rule shouldn't be changed because you want people to use your machine in your mod over a cheaper machine that does the same thing. We know who I'm talking about.

Reactions: Poppycocks

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, perhaps, but saying that it shouldn't strive towards making sense is a fallacy.

It should be, like any good piece of entertainment, internally consistent. When internal consistency is broken, it should be in a plausible way.

I guess that's why we're cool with pulverization/maceration magically turning dead mass into useful mass. Or Steve not needing to dig a latrine.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
The time investment is what's really the issue here.

To find and actually get up to the point where your finally able to really start building machines with GT installed is far to long for most people. And instead of fun the game turns into a grind.

I personally hate how expensive Greg makes things because my thing is i like to throw machines together and start making some complicated multiblock machinery. Working up to that point is'nt fun for me, it's figuring out how to smash these things together in a cohesive way to do something awesome.

That's also the same reason alot of people are having issues with Greg now.
There is more creative type players then worker type.

Reactions: Mero and RedBoss

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Or they could just realize we could have equal tools and not everyone has to be the best? You're still not getting the point and I'm getting tired.
Then could you please try and explain your point? The way I see things, SC tunnel bores perform a slightly different role to quarries & turtles. Quarries are easy to set up, but require moving once in a while and just dig everything below them. Tunnel bores on the other hand are trickier to set up, but can be made to dig at a certain level, can be fully automated and (more recently) can be enchanted. I don't think anything needs nerfing any further; a galgadorian drill is a lot more expensive than a quarry, but has other advantages.

To be honest, i'm starting to get bored with just using quarries, i'll use SC for all my automining needs. With GT installed, a quarry has a similar cost to a hardened drill (the one below galgadorian); the drill costs more diamonds, but doesn't need titanium. Admittedly, the hardened drill does break, but it can still mine 1 million blocks before it does. I just wish the bloody cart chunk loaders would work :mad:

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
No one has mentioned ars magica.

The <everything> must be found in world gen chests.
Luckily spell recipes can be shared.

However things like Affinity Tomes both ate extrordinary rare, in play I have found many structures, both testing and legit, and found only 1 affinity tomb. A bloody magma one.

What's More, even when found, if one dies, one loses it.
This is hellish behaviour for a server, in my opinion.

Same with Utils division sigils, luckily they can be shared, however still are a rare dungeon loot.

And emeralds, must either find a village (so many chicken nugget and/or fish villagers...) or find an extreme hills biome.
Luckily they are a possible dungeon loot (noticing a trend here).

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
i dont get these responses. has it ever occurred to you all that some people enjoy racking their brains for fun? the enjoyable part of the complex and unifying mods is the difficulty for me. it isnt grindy in the least, with possible exception to large nuclear setups and chrome, both of which can be mitigated with bees. i had a steam boiler and a quarry running on day one in about 4 hours of ultimate. if the challenge beyond that wasn't there, I'd be hard pressed enjoying a comprehensive modpack other than for building materials. If I wanted something I could mentally veg out on, I'd watch TV.

Here's the crux of the issue guys: expense is a function of complexity. Stratification reduces complexity and removes the cost/benefit factor of complex systems. Some people like complexity, like me, and we should be allowed a modpack that doesn't make it all easy. I have rail craft parts powering build craft machines interfaced with forestry which provides resources for ic2 and gregtech which is managed by AE and factorization with a sprinkle of MFR. I had to use those mods in different succession to get it all up cleanly. You can't get that unless someone acts the dick and aligns expense to make tradeoffs from different mods work. If you want to play one mod install it and play it. A mod pack should greater than the sum of its parts,and ultimate, in my opinion, fits the mold.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand though why secret rooms was added.

It's nice and all, but it glitches hobbit next to non-whole, or even general modded blocks, immibis' blocks if placed next to secret rooms, all result in random textures, nikolite block is obsidian, for examples.
It even gets deeply if placed on spawners, vanilla ones.

The one way glass is something I really liked though.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to say I don't care how much things cost. Then I tried to make something today that requires emeralds. Emeralds! Hell, chrome and iridium are easier get than emeralds. Yes, I can trade with villagers, but that means leaving my base, and you can't have me doing that, right?

(It was a vacuum freezer, which requires the highest tier of casing, which needs 8 emeralds for 4 casings).

And I really don't get why people complain about chrome. It's made from ruby dust, which is very plentiful.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Ruby is plentiful when red power is installed. Step into current modded minecraft (1.5.x) and theyre far more rare than diamonds.

And I hate being stuck in my base crafting just to get another damn machine so that I can craft to get another damn machine. At least with a gravichest plate there's fun to be had at the end if the tedious crafting

Reactions: Chocorate