Why do people like Thermal Expansion so much?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
  • Frame-like machines, and turtles, are a problem since they don't actually break or place blocks when they move. You could build a machine that sucks items from chests, move it into someone else's base, run it, and move it back out. Not sure if Forge can help this - maybe it could have a BlockMoveEvent?

For these specifically if blocks get a new tag through forge that identifies the player could there be a check for the blocks before moving forward? So if they belong to a player that didn't place the frame machine then it'll just refuse to work.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I venture this: If a server owner wants block protection, he or she should install a block protection mod. It should not be there by default. Mods should not be deliberately incompatible with PVP raiding.

I'm just thinking that we ought to have some sort of standardization of block protection mods so that they can 'talk' to each other and allow communication of security permissions from mod to mod.

What stops the griefer spamming your base with cheap machines you can't remove? This is why people use area protection, not protection of individual blocks (which prevents stealing, but not griefing in general).

Nothing. Griefer's gonna grief, true. It's not intended as a complete solution to the problem of people being jerks but just as a way for theft prevention and "safe storage" mods to interact with each other and with item transport mods. It's always rather annoying having to choose between security and automation, since a lot of the mods that protect inventory don't have item transport built in, and the mods with item transport don't have inventory protection.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just thinking that we ought to have some sort of standardization of block protection mods so that they can 'talk' to each other and allow communication of security permissions from mod to mod.
What's needed, apart from content mods saying "something's happening" and protection mods saying "no, don't allow that"? Which is basically the current system, but it's not implemented for everything yet.

• The problem with turtles is how to allow only your turtles to break and interact and not those of other players. Right now, to enable turtles to work for you also invites anyone's turtles free reign. Common griefer tactic there. >.<
The Bukkit port of ComputerCraft (back when Bukkit ports were a thing) used to have an option for each turtle to have its own fake username. That was very useful. Doesn't stop someone else tricking your turtle into giving them your items, though. The strictest protection bans all right clicks on protected blocks, so you can't even enter commands on that turtle.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
What's needed, apart from content mods saying "something's happening" and protection mods saying "no, don't allow that"?

I haven't looked at the code yet, but I imagine what we need is more data in the "something's happening" end that deals with security so that protection mods can make better decisions about whether to allow it or not. Or rather, to make a standard way for content mods to say "something's happening, and this player is responsible for it" even when the player has long since left the picture. You are describing the current system as being reliant on checking events generated by the player at the time they are generated. And that's good for an overall griefprotection system. I'm thinking we also need a standard way to check if events generated by items are linked to certain players. Right now each mod sorta deals with that in it's way, and not all of them interact or communicate well with each other.

Again, just as a initial idea, maybe something like including the name of the player who placed each block with the block so 2 weeks from now when a pipe attempts to request items from a chest, there will be data saying who "owns" the pipe and who "owns" the chest. Ownership could be based on placing it, crafting it, setting some config in the item or what have you, but that would be internal to each individual mod. The common library would simply define a method of setting "ownership" so that another mod can look at the item and figure out who "owns" it and therefore make it's own decisions about whether to allow it.

l3lackCalamity

Jul 29, 2019
Remember some us like PVP. For those of us that do stealing becomes part of the competition. If you want to know a mod that does an amazing job with protection look at Better Chests. BetterChests allows the creation of reinforced chests which can be locked. However, it also provides a new tiered enchantment for "lockpicking".

Reactions: Mevansuto

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Remember some us like PVP. For those of us that do stealing becomes part of the competition. If you want to know a mod that does an amazing job with protection look at Better Chests. BetterChests allows the creation of reinforced chests which can be locked. However, it also provides a new tiered enchantment for "lockpicking".

Which is fine, in an environment meant for it. It is, however, unacceptable to derive joy from ruining the joy of someone else. Which is where the option for it or not comes in.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
Which is fine, in an environment meant for it. It is, however, unacceptable to derive joy from ruining the joy of someone else. Which is where the option for it or not comes in.

I agree options are nice. I just reminding everyone that some of us play with competition.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why there are these things called 'config options'. However, for every OTHER server in existence, anti-griefing measures are a good thing.

No need to be so moody, I'm just agreeing with, and highlighting that for some us PVP looting is actually fun.
It is only fine if the server promotes PvP, IMO.
If PVP is left enabled then I wouldn't feel too sorry.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
If PVP is left enabled then I wouldn't feel too sorry.

PvP can be disabled but that doesn't mean it automatically protects against griefing.

So, in my opinion, unless PvP is actually enabled and encouraged, I do believe griefing shouldn't be allowed.

Edit: Mistakes. should = shouldn't*

Last edited:

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
PvP can be disabled but that doesn't mean it automatically protects against griefing.

So, in my opinion, unless PvP is actually enabled and encouraged, I do believe griefing should be allowed.

Well no disabling pvp doesn't prevent grieving, but it makes it clear that the server is not for conflict.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
unfortunately, this kind of block protection system has too many flaws and is too costly (in performance) to ever implement nicely. If it's a seperate mod that has to do this, then it has to scan and keep data on every single block you ever place or break.. if it's every mod doing this, then you've shot yourself in the foot as not every mod wants to put needless features in their mod that would only slow down the performance.
If you don't like griefing, don't like PvP, then don't play on a server where thats allowed. Play on a server with a good community of friends, not just random jackasses. There are tons of whitelist servers that don't require you to be a literary genious in your application to get on. And being active and friendly on forums is a great way to be invited.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The question isn't whether griefing should be allowed. The question is whether every mod should implement their own separate anti-griefing system just for blocks from that mod, or whether there should be separate anti-griefing mods.

Of course, neither question is actually on-topic, but the actual topic is hard to discuss calmly.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
unfortunately, this kind of block protection system has too many flaws and is too costly (in performance) to ever implement nicely. If it's a seperate mod that has to do this, then it has to scan and keep data on every single block you ever place or break.. if it's every mod doing this, then you've shot yourself in the foot as not every mod wants to put needless features in their mod that would only slow down the performance.
If you don't like griefing, don't like PvP, then don't play on a server where thats allowed. Play on a server with a good community of friends, not just random jackasses. There are tons of whitelist servers that don't require you to be a literary genious in your application to get on. And being active and friendly on forums is a great way to be invited.

The unfortunate truth, atm. It's why I now run my own server and private modpack. Because griefers always hit the non-whitelist servers. And that takes out all the fun for me and my friends.

Reactions: PierceSG

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I once heard a thread managed to get to the second page before it went off topic, thats might just be an urban legend though
That is something I do like about these forums, the mods are sensible. They don't shut down a thread because it has a few off-topic posts or even when an off-topic discussion lasts for several posts (they do when the main discussion is finished and it's all off-topic though :D), they don't jump on people if they get a lil heated in a discussion but they do jump on people with both boots if they get nasty, fosters a good discussiony feel to the forums.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
That is something I do like about these forums, the mods are sensible. They don't shut down a thread because it has a few off-topic posts or even when an off-topic discussion lasts for several posts (they do when the main discussion is finished and it's all off-topic though :D), they don't jump on people if they get a lil heated in a discussion but they do jump on people with both boots if they get nasty, fosters a good discussiony feel to the forums.
They encourage debates, but not arguments which is nice