Why do people like Thermal Expansion so much?

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
unfortunately, this kind of block protection system has too many flaws and is too costly (in performance) to ever implement nicely. If it's a seperate mod that has to do this, then it has to scan and keep data on every single block you ever place or break.. if it's every mod doing this, then you've shot yourself in the foot as not every mod wants to put needless features in their mod that would only slow down the performance.

I don't believe this would cause any performance issues. Last I heard, Thermal Expansion strongboxes are no more or less performance intensive than a vanilla chest. Nor are the forestry apiaries/bee houses performance killers. All I'm envisioning is having both the strongboxes and the apiaries use a common library so that thermal expansion itemducts can insert into and pull out of apiaries set to private mode and some hypothetical future item transportation mod can connect to both.

If a mod author doesn't want to deal with it, he won't have to. All that would happen is that his classes wouldn't extend or implement classes from the protection library. Which would in turn make it real easy for another mod to tell that his mod items are not implementing protection. And vice versa, which means that if a mod author creates an item that can be used to grief, it's much easier to figure out what items from other mods it shouldn't affect. Much of the same thing currently happens, which is why the portal gun doesn't work on warded blocks; but it seems to be reliant on ad-hoc communication between developers, rather than a standardized library.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe this would cause any performance issues. Last I heard, Thermal Expansion strongboxes are no more or less performance intensive than a vanilla chest. Nor are the forestry apiaries/bee houses performance killers. All I'm envisioning is having both the strongboxes and the apiaries use a common library so that thermal expansion itemducts can insert into and pull out of apiaries set to private mode and some hypothetical future item transportation mod can connect to both.

If a mod author doesn't want to deal with it, he won't have to. All that would happen is that his classes wouldn't extend or implement classes from the protection library. Which would in turn make it real easy for another mod to tell that his mod items are not implementing protection. And vice versa, which means that if a mod author creates an item that can be used to grief, it's much easier to figure out what items from other mods it shouldn't affect. Much of the same thing currently happens, which is why the portal gun doesn't work on warded blocks; but it seems to be reliant on ad-hoc communication between developers, rather than a standardized library.

They're less performance intensive than vanilla chests actually. In a totally secure framework, however, they would be slight less performant if there were some sort of constant item movement, as everything has to be checked vs owner before allowing a transaction (but still better than vanilla chests, as they are just bad). It's not terrible computationally, although storing the owner in every tile entity does start to add up in terms of raw bytes.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
They're less performance intensive than vanilla chests actually. In a totally secure framework, however, they would be slight less performant if there were some sort of constant item movement, as everything has to be checked vs owner before allowing a transaction (but still better than vanilla chests, as they are just bad). It's not terrible computationally, although storing the owner in every tile entity does start to add up in terms of raw bytes.

Interesting, I'm curious how the vanilla chest manages to suffer bad performance.

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
One of the reasons I really like it is because of the Configuration tab. Also it adds a way to make obsidian and smooth stone automatically easily with one single machine which doesn't even require power.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
One of the reasons I really like it is because of the Configuration tab. Also it adds a way to make obsidian and smooth stone automatically easily with one single machine which doesn't even require power.
Thankfully it requires some sort of input though, otherwise it'd be unbalanced

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
essentially, my reason for liking TE3 is because:
A: It works, reliably. almost no bugs to speak of. Few mods can boast that.
b: The code is clean, the packets are clean, the interface is clean, EVERYTHING about the mod shows cleanliness, professionalism, and attention to detail that most modders simply cannot be bothered with. If KL were an employee of mine, I would whip him into upper management so fast his head would spin... I haven't seen code this clean since Privateer.
C: if you are a world-aholic like I am, TE is the easiest and best way to get the 'basics' finished and out of the way, without having to do the same crap you have done a million times before. a bit of mining... no hunting out clay,sand, and gravel, no desperate searching for rare ingredients and diamonds, I can quickly get my industrial base automated with a single multiblock 'machine' and just dump my processing needs and fuel into it, and get to the important part... BUILDING WORLDS! (BTW forge multipart and carpenters blocks can make that magitechy structure look like an awesome insustrialsteampunk engine in no time... try building your 'little' machine into a hulking engine of destruction... it's worth it to have a line of pistons activate in sequence as your 'engine' runs)
D: KL isn't an asshat.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
essentially, my reason for liking TE3 is because:
A: It works, reliably. almost no bugs to speak of. Few mods can boast that.

What are the bugs you are aware of? The goal is definitely 0.

EDIT: Bugs that we can actually replicate. We're aware of some very strange cross-mod stuff that happens when mods force-load chunks and Dimensional Doors / Ars Magica is present, or MCPC+ is used. That's really out of our control and I'd argue not actually in our code.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
KL, since you're here, there is some issue with the redstone energy conduits and RotaryCraft's Magnetostatic Engines. Everytime I load back into the world, the conduits will all be disconnected, not even right clicking with a wrench/crescent hammer works. I need to shift-right click to remove it and replace them for them to reconnect. The tesseract too, in direct contact, everytime I load back into the world, it will stop feeding power into the engine until I remove and place it down again.

Not sure if it is issue on your side or Reika's side.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
KL, since you're here, there is some issue with the redstone energy conduits and RotaryCraft's Magnetostatic Engines. Everytime I load back into the world, the conduits will all be disconnected, not even right clicking with a wrench/crescent hammer works. I need to shift-right click to remove it and replace them for them to reconnect. The tesseract too, in direct contact, everytime I load back into the world, it will stop feeding power into the engine until I remove and place it down again.

Reika's, but you probably guessed that already.

Reactions: PierceSG

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013

You could try to put leadstone energy cells outputting into the magnestatic engines and having the conduits inputting into then. It's a workaround but it should work until reika fixes the issue

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
What are the bugs you are aware of? The goal is definitely 0.

EDIT: Bugs that we can actually replicate. We're aware of some very strange cross-mod stuff that happens when mods force-load chunks and Dimensional Doors / Ars Magica is present, or MCPC+ is used. That's really out of our control and I'd argue not actually in our code.

I learned a long time ago never to say any software is utterly bug-free. No bugs that I have ever been able to spot that don't involve mod interaction... That's why I say almost none.
actually, I take that back....cofh core ore regeneration doesn't appear to work in whatever chunk the player is in, but that's not TE, that's COFH core.

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
a} It's relatively simple to use, for low level stuff. It isn't necessarily the cheapest mod around to get started in. TE will typically be my second tier. At the moment, my first is a combination of Mekanism, IC2, and Ender IO. During 1.4 it was Cogs of the Machine.

b} I/O is extremely easy to implement. As someone who is still reasonably accustomed to using BuildCraft pipes, I find this very useful. You can put chests or other machines directly on the sides of any machines. The opaque fluiducts are also very simple to use. Wrench the output direction, flip a lever, and you're golden. Fluid transmission is much faster than with BC pipes, as well.

c} There are certain machines (such as the Aqueous Accumulator, and the new Autonomous Activator) which synergise very well with other mods.

d} While the liquid Redstone and Ender tiers are marginally tedious, in general King Lemming isn't anywhere near as balance obsessed as the majority of other FC mod authors these days. I can also completely decide whether I want said RS tier myself or not as well. It doesn't get in the way of anything.

e} When it comes to lag, according to my own testing, TE is one of the most efficient mods in existence, at least that I know of. KL's optimisation work is excellent; and the ability to apply redstone signals to everything there also really helps. If I know exactly what my item count is going to be, I can run a reasonably slow pulse clock, which will turn everything off after the last item to be processed, so I don't have a whole heap of idle, yet silently active machines, all pinging each other and bringing down my framerate.