Why Do People Always Build Boxes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Turtle programs, man. If you want a huge complicated house then learning how to turtle will make that much easier.

There's also a vanilla trick where you can use lava and water to make huge vertical walls out of any material you like so long as they're cobble.

BuzzSa

Jul 29, 2019
Turtle programs, man. If you want a huge complicated house then learning how to turtle will make that much easier.

There's also a vanilla trick where you can use lava and water to make huge vertical walls out of any material you like so long as they're cobble.

LOL

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I lack creativity & aesthetics, anything that isnt a box looks ugly.
Generally other types are REALLY hard to use pipes at all, unless you use AE, which i dont like.

Reactions: Dante12129

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
It's my signature...

Ask me about a 1.6.2 modded server.
1st off, there is no dotted line between your post & your signature.
2nd, That is your post quoted, no modification.

I lack creativity & aesthetics, anything that isnt a box looks ugly.
Generally other types are REALLY hard to use pipes at all, unless you use AE, which i dont like.

There is a random quote from Pokefenn (not picking on you just saw you watching slowpokes stream =D) with an actual signature, notice the lack of a sig here?

I'm not trying to mean and attack you but seeing "Ask me about a 1.6.2 modded server" in the regular text field across several threads is kinda "Spammy". If it actually is in you sig and the forum is derping on my side, I apologize profusely.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
1st off, there is no dotted line between your post & your signature.
2nd, That is your post quoted, no modification.

There is a random quote from Pokefenn (not picking on you just saw you watching slowpokes stream =D) with an actual signature, notice the lack of a sig here?

I'm not trying to mean and attack you but seeing "Ask me about a 1.6.2 modded server" in the regular text field across several threads is kinda "Spammy". If it actually is in you sig and the forum is derping on my side, I apologize profusely.
I am using the tapatalk mobile app signature, it's probably just app deepiness

Ask me about a 1.6.2 modded server.

Reactions: Anubis

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to build more creative than i do..but i can't :/
I can think hours and hours about what i like to build. Then i have a good picture in my head how it should look like. And then when i try to build it....it looks like "§%"§%"§$.

Maybe i will get the right creativity someday when struck by lightning or i will life forever in a ugly building.

Reactions: Kazeodori and Mero

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019

Wand of Equal Trade man ;)

Reactions: Pokefenn

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
because sometimes you can make that box look amazing. My base is (other than the entrance, which is a circle) a series of lots of boxes linked by a big long rectangular box... and I'm happier with this base than I have been with anything else I've ever built in minecraft

I'd like to see pics.

Reactions: Darth Sith

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
Because nobody has to look at it but me and I don't care, it's just a place to put machines. I do a 32x32 tower so everything is within those 4 chunks.

Reactions: Mero

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Wand of Equal Trade man ;)

That's good, but it often takes a long time to get to it especially with thaumic bees and TT cluttering the Thaumonomicon.

While you're at it you might get lucky and find a division sigil. The builder's wand from extra utilities is completely worth the trouble. What it does is allow you to lay an outline and continue the pattern using blocks from your inventory, converting a circle into a cylinder for example. Technically it only costs three diamonds.

zedkar

Jul 29, 2019
My box building :))
HddpDML.jpg

RedWeegee

Jul 29, 2019
I never got into developing my building skills. Everything I build is executed poorly so I tend to stick w/ the box since it's simple and efficient.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
The rings on the outside make it non-boxy. Good job!

Oh, if that's your standard, then I've never built a box in FTB. I always put a lip on the first floor (and usually subsequent floors as well) just to stop spiders from climbing up to the roof and dropping down on me at night like ninjas. I assume most other people do the same.

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, if that's your standard, then I've never built a box in FTB. I always put a lip on the first floor (and usually subsequent floors as well) just to stop spiders from climbing up to the roof and dropping down on me at night like ninjas. I assume most other people do the same.

Sometimes I just use a roof :) lmao

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
That's good, but it often takes a long time to get to it especially with thaumic bees and TT cluttering the Thaumonomicon.

While you're at it you might get lucky and find a division sigil. The builder's wand from extra utilities is completely worth the trouble. What it does is allow you to lay an outline and continue the pattern using blocks from your inventory, converting a circle into a cylinder for example. Technically it only costs three diamonds.

aye, on the server I play on I was gifted one pretty early and it made the entire project bearable XD Now I have my own division sigil... but tbh, nothing other than that wand really tickles my fancy.. so it's staying in an item frame by my server room (AE room)[DOUBLEPOST=1377722646][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd like to see pics.

Enjoy

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Whether its a 9x9 or a 32x16, you are still building an ugly box. (Before I get into this, by box I mean 4 sided). Even if you slap a nice beautiful roof on that sucker, the interior is still a big bland box. Why do people never add angles into their creation to give their boring house some pizazz? Angles are too hard to work with, and you could also do curves! I tried to live in a big cylinder on its side once, and it worked great, the natural shape of the building gave places to hide wiring and have the feeling of depth. So this thread is, a motivational thread, question thread, and of you would like to share a none boxy house, please do. If you do have a big box house, give it a curvy add-on or a done roof, just because this is minecraft doesn't mean you can't be creative. Enjoy your day.

So, when do we get to see what you build :).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Do a google image search for "saltbox house". You will find lots and lots of pictures of the same exact house. intermixed with those will be a few houses that are actually saltboxes, but with the awning, carports, side additions, and what not, it doesn't actually look like a saltbox. Same with minecraft. Everyone makes boxes, but it is how you tweak the boxes that make the builds exceptional and aesthetically pleasing.

Also, take a look at http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/this-old-9x9-challange-and-share.25358/. They are all 9x9 boxes, but are all completely different.