Whats with all the red crosses?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

alexben99

Jul 29, 2019
So... just started seeing these red crosses in certain places in and around my base. Any ideas what they are or how i can fix them? I m using FTB Ultimate 1.0.1 without gregtech
Thanks!
2013-03-17_20.06.54.png

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using Optifine?
Sometimes Optifine can try to put snow on a modded piece of grass/sapling/whatever and it'll use the wrong ID for the snow, and it'll look akward. I remember on Tekkit that same thing happening, only with sapphire pickaxes, so everywhere around my base was just filled with sapphire picks.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
It's part of NEI. I don't remember the keybind to turn it on and off because I changed mine. It shows where mobs can spawn do to low light levels.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It's part of NEI. I don't remember the keybind to turn it on and off because I changed mine. It shows where mobs can spawn do to low light levels.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

really? Never knew about that feture in NEI. I'll have to look into that.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Oh hell yes, thank you all. I was looking for a mod that did that "where can mobs spawn" grid.. never crossed my mind that it's already implemented in one of the Packs mods. :D

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Something to note though is it ignores daylight. Useful in the overworld since mobs could just spawn at night...but eternal day ages it shows as mobs being able to spawn most everywhere, even though it will never be night and actually allow it.

Also, it's not just light levels. It correctly shows that mobs can not spawn on xycraft blocks.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
lol wtf I said SPAWN chunks, not SLIME chunks, the ones that are always loaded, at the spawn of the world and stuff, they are sorta like vanilla chunk loaders, but they can't be moved... here:

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
By default minecraft will always load x number of chunks around the worlds spawn point as a permanent chunk loader. Which last I checked can be configured in the server config file but for SSP has no config.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
By default minecraft will always load x number of chunks around the worlds spawn point as a permanent chunk loader. Which last I checked can be configured in the server config file but for SSP has no config.

OHHH!!! so that is what that number is for... I thought it was spawn PROTECTION, not chunks...

I guess that kinda makes sense.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
There is a spawn protection config for servers, though it's not part of the server.properties file by default, you have to add it yourself. It should be "spawn-protection" iirc. It could be added by a mod, but I think they put it into vanilla probably around 1.3/1.4 release.

MamiyaOtaru

Jul 29, 2019
Something to note though is it ignores daylight. Useful in the overworld since mobs could just spawn at night...but eternal day ages it shows as mobs being able to spawn most everywhere, even though it will never be night and actually allow it.
Zombe's modpack does a similar thing, except it shows yellow Xs where daylight means no spawn but nighttime means spawn. So you'd only have to watch out for red in a permanent daylight dimension

M

MLGSnail500

Hey, thanks for posting this! I thought it meant mobs COULDN'T spawn!