What's the "easiest" auto farm device in unleashed?

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
MFR planter/harvester. Just plug it into your AE network to import stuff and export the seeds to replant, then forget about it.

basically this. if you want the farm to be bigger, you'll need mfr upgrades. oh, and if you cant be asked to set it up, the watering can makes manual farming 1000% faster.
(i'm not kidding, make the one with the bonemeal in it and just hold right mouse on a 3x3 of crops. it's insanely fast.)

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
MFR is deciding to be a pain so i'm going for something else...
Planter: Finicky about planting as all hell
Harvester: Keeps harvesting wood from nearby houses, It winds up bugging out and not harvesting fully grown crops unless i break and replace it

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I've not had too many problems. The only trick is getting the seeds from the harvester back into the planter, and making sure it doesn't accidentally run out of one kind of seed and fill up with the other. Not a problem if you have one planter per crop.
Harvester: Keeps harvesting wood from nearby houses, It winds up bugging out and not harvesting fully grown crops unless i break and replace it
Oh, yeah, it will eat your house. I had to space out my tree harvesters because they kept eating each others' trees, and I have them set to turn on with a Level Emitter when the number of logs or saplings goes below a limit. I've not had a problem with harvesters not harvesting though, are you sure there aren't any rogue redstone signals turning it off?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I've not had too many problems. The only trick is getting the seeds from the harvester back into the planter, and making sure it doesn't accidentally run out of one kind of seed and fill up with the other. Not a problem if you have one planter per crop.

Oh, yeah, it will eat your house. I had to space out my tree harvesters because they kept eating each others' trees, and I have them set to turn on with a Level Emitter when the number of logs or saplings goes below a limit. I've not had a problem with harvesters not harvesting though, are you sure there aren't any rogue redstone signals turning it off?

There's no redstone within 50 blocks of the damn thing

i'm gonna go with forestry's thing, I just need a tutorial

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
MFR is deciding to be a pain so i'm going for something else...

Don't know what's up with the planter. You either don't have enough light on the plants, or not enough water. Unlike the forestry farms, the planter won't supply it's own water, you have to put it in manually.

With the harvester, you understand how it works. it doesn't just harvest wood blocks in front of it. It will When it finds a wood block, it also searches in a range around that block, to find branches. So if you have a wood log house behind the harvester, when it finds wood in the tree and searches out for branches, it will end up finding the house and eating those logs. Just put the harvester farther away from your house or don't build out of wood logs. Also, it looks like you aren't pumping out the sludge. That's what's making the harvester stop working until you break it (and thus clear out the internal liquid storage). All you need to do is slap a void waterproof pipe on the harvester and that'll take care of it. The harvester automatically pumps out, so you don't need a wooden waterproof pipe.

BTW, if you think the MFR farms are complicated, don't even bother with the forestry multifarm. It's an order of magnitude more complex.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
I had similar issues with harvesters harvesting stuff they were not supposed do. but once I removed any upgrades (or used smaller ones). the problems went away. Emerald upgrade seems bugged.

But if you want "plug and play" AND you have plenty of resources. setup a forestry multiblock farm for wheat. The first time setup can be a bit of a pain, but once running you will login to stacks and stacks of seeds.
You will need:
farm blocks (5x5x4 -3 = 97 blocks)
farm valve + aqueous accumulator + 2 waterproof pipes/liquiducts
farm hatch and farm gearbox.
A few stacks of stone bricks
something to supply dirt and fertilizer (pipes, AE, golems.. whatever)
Circuit board to swap the farm to 'crops' mode

Setup the farm blocks. put the valve in the bottom center, hook up the aqueous to that.
The farm will eject dirt blocks as it runs. Setup something to take those blocks and send them back in. (Diamond pipe?)
Lay a 1 block wide ring of water blocks around the outside farm
Add the initial dirt, and fill in 4 of the 6 seed slots with 1 dirt each, leaving only 2 slots for seeds.
Add a stack of seeds
Setup something to supply fertilizer.
Supply power.

Go do something else for a while

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
>Over an hour of fucking around later
I have a n aqueous accumulator and a tesseract up, And an exporter bus putting fertilizer in,

So it works, It was a pain in the ass, Might try to build another one now that i know how

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The second one is always easier. Forestry seems to have a running gag with that. A real pain to learn, but a piece of cake once you've done it.

That said, the MFR problem is because it harvests, then checks an enormous radius for anything else it can harvest. Best to set it up away from any buildings. Yes, it tends to eat trees.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
The second one is always easier. Forestry seems to have a running gag with that. A real pain to learn, but a piece of cake once you've done it.

That said, the MFR problem is because it harvests, then checks an enormous radius for anything else it can harvest. Best to set it up away from any buildings. Yes, it tends to eat trees.

The forestry multifarm seems superior
Once it got set up i wired it up and it looks all fancy,
Dunno

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The downside most people don't like is the requirement to have fertilizer. Doesn't bother me because Apatite is found in such tremendous quantities, even without luck, then there's the Thaumcraft method of doubling the output. Plus MFR fertilizer can be converted. So it's a non-issue.

That said, it's quicker to just plonk down a harvester/planter pair and go do something else.

What I do use multi-farms for is Rubber. I tend to use a lot of MFR rednet cable, and since that's made from raw plastic, made from cooking rubber, I use the Rubber Tree trick. (Gravity/Portal gun to move the spot blocks to a Foresry Multi-farm, and let it auto-harvest huge quantities of rubber for me. Don't even have to worry about facing on the blocks.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
The downside most people don't like is the requirement to have fertilizer. Doesn't bother me because Apatite is found in such tremendous quantities, even without luck, then there's the Thaumcraft method of doubling the output. Plus MFR fertilizer can be converted. So it's a non-issue.
Yeah ONE batch of apatite will last you a really really long time. Especially with only 1 farm. Somebody said that a medium sized deposit of apatite will last you for months (RL months, not minecraft months).
My AE network still has 20k fertilizer and thats with 2 farms, and 3 fermenters all chunkloaded. its been running for more than a month now.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
fertilizer for forestry farm:

make a small area for cows. say 5x5. put a mfr sewer in the middle block of ground, put a +1 rad upgrade in it. get 4-5 cows in there. run a liquiduct from sewer to a composter, which will turn that mess into industrial fertilizer. autocraft it to the blue stuff. done =)

something i did on a test map to run a massive alveary farm with an automated seed oil/impregnated frame factory: set up a forestry multifarm orchard with chestnut tree. put a couple of turtles right underneath or facing the leaves on the tree. pipe in bonemeal and have them turtle.place() or placeUp() depending where the leaf block is. that will auto mature the leaves, producing a steady stream of chestnuts for seed oil (enough to keep a lot of squeezers running constantly). use a sleep(5), the multifarm will take a bit to catch the fruit from those blocks you just matured. keep a good supply of bonemeal to keep those things fed, use a TE pulverizer to get 6 meal per bone.

the turtle code would look like this:

Code:
turtle.select(1)
while true do
  turtle.place() -- assuming turtle is facing the leaf block
  sleep(5)
end
this setup works better if you use a factorization router, and have it fill slot 0 with bonemeal...that way you dont have to fill all 16 slots. save that to startup, done.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Is it crazy that I think that crafty turtles might be cheaper and more efficient than other methods of autocrafting?