What's the "easiest" auto farm device in unleashed?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I need seeds for doing bee stuff, And manually farming wheat takes all day,

I figure there (Might) be some convenient MFR thing

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well technically none are easiest, with MFR & Forestry you need power and infrastructure and with golems you need to have done all the research.

Golems - straw to break the wheat and wooden to pick it up
MFR - needs power + planter + harvester
Forestry - needs multiblock farm + power + water + fertilizer

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
The easiest way to farm wheat for seed oil is not to farm wheat, but almost everything else. Trees are quite good, you can put them in orchards, or just plop a couple of them outside and wait for fruits to mature. For starting out pumpkins or melons are best, you get 4 seeds per pumpkin. You can speed it up with IC2 crops. Planter/harvester combo will work for wheat, but from MFR fertilizer + grass block + harvester work really well for gathering seeds, specially with GT (it adds all seeds to squeezer, not only wheat ones). That way you also get quite good substrate for biofuel production from all those flowers and seeds, useful straight away even in development version.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Pumpkins + Pistons. The easiest farm that everyone overlooks. You can even us AE transition planes if you've got some infrastructure, but pistons need no power.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Well technically none are easiest, with MFR & Forestry you need power and infrastructure and with golems you need to have done all the research.

Golems - straw to break the wheat and wooden to pick it up
MFR - needs power + planter + harvester
Forestry - needs multiblock farm + power + water + fertilizer

I have infastruccha' I just gotta know the name of MFR's machine

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
planter to plant
harvester to harvest
fertiliser to fertilise

type @minefactory into nei and it will come focus your search if you know what mod you want but aren't quite sure what the name of the block is

Reactions: AlanEsh

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
Planter - Stick yo seeds n'saplings into this thing and give it some energiez! (EU/MJ/[W/J]) (base 3x3 radius, can be increased via range upgrades)
Harvester - Connect a chest or some buildcraft pipes to this, and give it some energy to harvest things infront of it in a 3x3 area (range upgrades will increase the radius of harvesting)
(Optional) (Wheat) Fertilizer - Accepts industrial fertilizer (aka refined poop from animals, just a fancy name for it [unless you use the manual recipie]) to instantly grow anything infront of it via a 3x3 radius. Also accepts range upgrades.

It would be best to use pumpkins or melons for seed oil, as they give far more for the time needed for them to grow. However, if you wanted to use forestry trees, a multiblock forestry farm would be required to automate them.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
A few notes, as it seems you have no experience with MFR:
  • A Fertilizer is fairly excessive unless you only want to grow food very quickly in short bursts (i.e. with a Red Net set up to flip all the devices on and off) and they allow you to collect massive amounts of wood in very short periods of time when used in conjunction with a MFR jungle tree farm (8 stacks in a minute off the top of my head)
  • Harvesters create Sludge with each operation, which you don't need to do anything with (it does not matter if the internal tank fills, it will continue to work fine) but the sludge can be made into different kinds of soil like clay balls, Soul Sand, and others by piping it into a Sludge Boiler which will also need power. If you do go this route, keep the sludge boiler away from anywhere you will go near it as it poisons you if you go within 3 blocks of it while it is working
    • Harvesters can harvest all vanilla crops and trees, but Dartcraft trees do not work properly. There is an option in the machine that allows you to shear leaves if you want. By default, the Harvester will not harvest Jungle trees unless you tell it to (right click the machine and click the option). You can also harvest cactus and sugar cane but you do not need to use a planter for these two
  • Planters need to be put below the area where you want to use them. By default they will plant on a 3x3 square centered on the block directly above them.
  • You can use 1 Harvester in coordination with multiple planters to farm multiple things with 1 harvester. I suggest you use the MFR upgrades to increase the radius of the Harvester to do this more efficiently.
  • If you do want to use the Fertilizer, you will want to use Sewers and Composters in order to make the Industrial fertilizer.
    • Sewers by default collect sewage (a MFR fluid) only from the animals in the block directly above them. Sewers are one of the only MFR machines that do no need power. The most efficient animal for collecting sewage is the cow. The MFR upgrades can be used to increase the radius of sewage collection, but make sure that the Sewers' radii of collection do not overlap with each other as they will work significantly less efficiently if they do.
    • Composters are fairly simple, just pipe Sewage in, supply whatever type of power you want (I like EU as it is the easiest to generate and move, but you can do whatever) and provide an inventory or pipe for it to output the Industrial Fertilizer.
I think that is pretty much everything you need to know about MFR farms.

Reactions: PhantomRage

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You can cut out the planter if pumpkin and melon seeds gives you seed oil too.

Plant pumpkin/melon seeds on a IC2 Crop sticks in on tilled soil. Harvester will harvest ripe melon/pumpkin from them. Use force pipes with item cards infused with crafting table so they will auto process the fruits to seeds.

Why IC2 crop sticks? More harvestables in same area since the fruit grown inside the crop rather than adjacent blocks.

Edit: Full melons can't be processed. My bad.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Seed oil is a pain early-to-mid game. I always go the creosote route. The coke oven requires just brick and sand - nothing too fancy. You can make enough creosote to get going with 10+ apiaries from a manual cactus or sugarcane farm. But, if you're doing a fair amount of digging, coal is a much better option. It has a much higher creosote production value than cactus or sugar.

I usually use Bee Houses to make more drones and get enough honeycombs to centrifuge into hopefully enough propolis to make Apiarist' Pipe. By the time I have Apiaries, I should have at least a handful of Apiarist' Pipes, which helps a ton production-wise and with stabilizing/purifying a species.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with golems is you need a ton of seeds to research them in the first place. Go with MFR. MFR is you friend. MFR is love. MFR is life.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
I don't quite understand why people think it's so hard to get seed oil. A single bucket is enough to produce 4 Apiaries which is a very good start if you want to do bee breeding and tree breeding (without Bee Houses).

Reactions: MigukNamja

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
GFDI, The MFR harvester took the logs from my HOUSE, But failed to harvest the what directly in front of it
One, make sure it's facing the correct way. There's usually an animated side when powered up, that's the operational side. The opposite side usually has a black spot on it.

Two, the Upgrades increase the RADIUS of the machines. Planters, Harvesters, and Fertilizers are 3x3, which means a radius of 1.5 from the center of the square. Each upgrade increases the diameter by two. Which means a +1 upgade turns them from 3x3 to 5x5.

Also those three machines (no idea on the others) check one square per whatever time unit they're set to. If, purely for example, it's once per two ticks it would take eighteen ticks (almost one second) to completly check a 3x3. While it would take fifty ticks (2.5 seconds) to check a 5x5. The bigger the area the longer it takes the machines to check everything. So if a square grew one tick after it was checked, the machine would have to complete the entire cycle to get back to it.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't quite understand why people think it's so hard to get seed oil. A single bucket is enough to produce 4 Apiaries which is a very good start if you want to do bee breeding and tree breeding (without Bee Houses).

I guess it depends upon your start. Coke oven is clay and sand and no external power. No metals required. Just put in a stack of sugar or cactus and let it do its thing. Seed oil needs a squeezer with a little MJ power. The problem super-early-game (~3 hours) is getting enough copper for bronze for a Forestry casing. 8 bronze is not trivial super-early-game.

My last 2 playthroughs, I've had easy access to clay and sand, so coke oven it was. I supposed if I started in an area where clay and/or sand were scarce, seed oil would be easier.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it depends upon your start. Coke oven is clay and sand and no external power. No metals required. Just put in a stack of sugar or cactus and let it do its thing. Seed oil needs a squeezer with a little MJ power. The problem super-early-game (~3 hours) is getting enough copper for bronze for a Forestry casing. 8 bronze is not trivial super-early-game.

My last 2 playthroughs, I've had easy access to clay and sand, so coke oven it was. I supposed if I started in an area where clay and/or sand were scarce, seed oil would be easier.

Yeah, it depends on how you start. And how you start should be based on what you want to achieve first. Using Creosote oil to make bee housing elements is a shortcut across mod boundaries. An feature not added by Forestry or RailCraft, but a third mod called Plugins for Forestry.

I'll admit that I don't play FTB, but a small pack where Forestry is the only mod in need of copper and tin. Although even when I had IC2 I still considered finding 6 copper and 2 tin to be trivial. I might even consider it harder now that I don't have resource duplication.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a buttload of resources but i'm lazy, So i mean easy as in terms of plug and play