What type of player are you? - Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
Hey all! - So, I was thinking, it's very easy to classify mods, as some explore the complicaded world of gears andalloys, letting us built extremely useful and fun machines for ourselves, or for our friends - being those the 'Tech' based mods - and others, which explore the secrets and riddles of the Arcane, leaving us with a hand full of dangerous but also extremely useful spells and machines - thkse being the 'Magic' based mods. But the real question here is - which type of player are you? Which type of mods you like the most, and why?

I would love to read you guys's feedback! - Have fun! ~

Reactions: RealSketch

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Techy grinder.

I generally remove most magic mods from my packs. I like progression tiers that start annoyingly complicated but provide more and more automated relief from that grind. As a result I generally drift towards GT-like mods.

I love the idea of requiring an entire factory-building which produces nothing but those horrible-to-assemble complicated GT circuits!

Fun thread, gl.

fishille

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a bit of everything player. I try to do everything over time, but never have the time in the end. Magic, Tech, others are all interesting. I like building, and exploring but distaste actual mining so my first goal is automated mining.

Reactions: ThomazM

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Environmentalist's worst nightmare.

Only when the last mineral has been harvested,
Only when the last river has been tainted,
Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last animal has been fed into a grinder,
Only when all this is automated and the landscape is a post-apocalyptic horror of quarry pits will Colin be satisfied.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery

Only when all this is automated and the landscape is a post-apocalyptic horror of quarry pits will Colin be satisfied.

I like the way you think. *creeply smiles*

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Seems to me you're thinking small. There are the Nether and the End to consider strip mining as well, not to mention the Deep Dark and all those Mystcraft ages you can create a few at a time and deplete... :D

Hito_

Jul 29, 2019
I like to make well organized super space efficient bases. Extreme Fung Shui. I like to make all of my processing, storage and machines into the most compact yet still accessible and organized space as possible. -side note- if you have a sweet looking block of bricks in your mod. . . I will be using it!

Last edited:

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
When i play minecraft (rarely happens, but i actually have a little bit the last few days) I usually do lots of Magic, usually focusing on stuff like Blood Magic, Botania and Witchery :p
And i try to progress through things, and see how things can be used in different ways, and combining the mods. I also try to not do things the easy way :3

Reactions: ThomazM

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I do a bit of everything. I like to explore from time to time. I like to mine from time to time but most of the time I like expanding on my heavy tech based base. I occasionally also do a bit of magic stuff but tech interests me more atm.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
When i play minecraft (rarely happens, but i actually have a little bit the last few days) I usually do lots of Magic, usually focusing on stuff like Blood Magic, Botania and Witchery :p
And i try to progress through things, and see how things can be used in different ways, and combining the mods. I also try to not do things the easy way :3

Basicly, @Pokefenn - Technomanc'ing all the way every day? - Also, I completely agree! The fun about modpacks is really all about combining mods and see what interactions can or proftable or simply fun. :p

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Basicly, @Pokefenn - Technomanc'ing all the way every day? - Also, I completely agree! The fun about modpacks is really all about combining mods and see what interactions can or proftable or simply fun. :p
Well, I haven't used a tech mod in a few months... :p
Mostly just combining magic mods, since they usually have the most modular and unique mechanics :3

Reactions: Padfoote

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I am an Engineer.
I like a design and building challenge- having rules and limitations enhances creativity.
I prefer content that adds to gameplay, not adding stuff to circumvent it.​

Machines need power, items and fluids.
A set of 3 distinct 'pipes' is a brilliant design challenge to engage the player.
A "magic pipe" that does all 3 provides no real creativity and kills all the user engagement.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
First thing I always do is go tech. Get my AE running, automate as much as possible, and get thousands of every resource. Then get as many toys as possible, both magical and technical.