What exactly is offensive about being told to play in creative mode?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Because the MPS suit has a decent gain for the materials it requires. There is more to crafting than the crafting itself, there is also the output which is what makes it worth it.

I don't understand your point. What I am saying is, if tedium is not dificulty and tedium is not fun, and we should be just having fun making 'systems' then crafting a redstone furnace is no different than crafting an Industrial blast furnace. They are both boring, neither requires any skill, and we are both admitting that this boring simple work makes the end result more enjoyable. If not, why dont we both spawn one in? A Creative player could laugh at someone like Dave in the same way he might laugh at me for enjoying Gregtech. "Why do you spend all that time crafting and getting resources to make things? its just tedium, its more fun to BUILD things. People forget minecraft is a building game!"

This is exactly what people here tell me. Why couldnt a creative mode player say the exact same thing to you or Dave or whoever? "You forget minecraft is a building game, using minium stones to craft ender pearls so you can make a tesseract is just tedium. its not difficult. I like building things, not spending my time in front of a crafting grid."

But would you say your world deserves a little more respect than someone who did the same thing in creative? If so, then it means that doing tedious work should garner more respect right?

Reactions: Zexks

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes with building high-tier machines.

Not everything is about difficulty. This game and the mods for it should be focused on enhancing the experience in a fun way

No, no one world with the exact same builds deserve more respect, but it should be acknowledged that mine was built in survival, and the other was built in creative, because like I said, there is a feeling of accomplishment that comes along with building high tech machines and nice-looking builds, because it took time to gather those resources.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes with building high-tier machines.

Not everything is about difficulty. This game and the mods for it should be focused on enhancing the experience in a fun way

No, no one world with the exact same builds deserve more respect, but it should be acknowledged that mine was built in survival, and the other was built in creative, because like I said, there is a feeling of accomplishment that comes along with building high tech machines and nice-looking builds, because it took time to gather those resources.

Ok so then if you changed the game so it took more time to gather those resources, would you feel you should get a little acknowledgement from that?

Or really the important thing is that you enjoy the game more when gathering the resources. So if someone else wnated to spend more time gathering resources to make different machines, its a completely valid decision. Not that you yourself make this argument, im really talking about the myriad of people here who say 'tedium is not difficult'.

Can we both admit that the tedium of gathering resources is fun, because it is more rewarding?

And if someone wants to install a mod that makes you gather more resources to make machines, its ok. Or if they say 'how would i extend out game progression' that perrson might actually get a thread with just ideas, instead of half of it being ideas, and the other half people like Dave and crew trying to prove to the OP that their ideas were wrong and they shouldn't try to adjust the game progression to be longer?

This is really all im getting at. If this is all true, then we can stop bereating people here for enjoying *more* tedium because the reality is that we all enjoy the tedium. And feel that it means we should be acknowledged for the work we did. Your words, right?

Reactions: Zexks

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Can we both admit that the tedium of gathering resources is fun, because it is more rewarding?
I apologize for butting in, but..no, I don't think we can.

What can be admitted by honest individuals is that there is a point where there the sense of accomplishment involved in gathering materials is overridden or overwhelmed by other factors (such as a sense of frustration, boredom, been-there-done-that, or just plain 'WTF am I DOING this for?'). The threshold of accomplishment to BS is a sliding scale that changes from person to person and day to day, and trying to draw a line in the sand for any random group of people is a difficult task.

So no, I don't think you can say that. It's more rewarding, to a point, for some people. For others, it's tedium right out of the gate.

(EDIT: aside, and reference OP and question, it's insulting to tell someone just go play creative because it's an explicit attempt to force your line in the sand on someone else. It's equally insulting to insist (deliberate word choice) that someone take your work more seriously or with greater impact because you 'worked for it' by refusing to play in creative, for exactly the same reason in the other direction. )

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019

Tedium cannot be fun. Tedium as a word is synonymous with boredom. If it's fun, it's not tedium. If you enjoy resource gathering, then it's not tedious for you.

For the record, I'm a creative player. I don't enjoy the whole resource gathering aspect, I enjoy building stuff. It doesn't make my accomplishments mean any less in the eyes of the one person that matters (ie, me). Y'all are free to think whatever you like, I'll be over here happily putting my blocks down.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
This is exactly what people here tell me. Why couldnt a creative mode player say the exact same thing to you or Dave or whoever? "You forget minecraft is a building game, using minium stones to craft ender pearls so you can make a tesseract is just tedium. its not difficult. I like building things, not spending my time in front of a crafting grid."

No one tells you that. They give you their opinion on the matter which indicates where on the sliding scale that @zilvarwolf so beautifully described, they stand. If you can't handle that people enjoy this game in a different way but do nothing but preach that the way you enjoy the game is just different... I can't even begin to imagine how you justify to yourself your own line of thought.

But would you say your world deserves a little more respect than someone who did the same thing in creative? If so, then it means that doing tedious work should garner more respect right?
Ok so then if you changed the game so it took more time to gather those resources, would you feel you should get a little acknowledgement from that?

Nothing anyone does deserves any respect from anyone. People may respect it but is NEVER out of obligation. If you feel that people should respect you or what you've done; you're wrong, 100% of the time. Using accomplishments to derive praise is wrong and a toxic attitude.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
What can be admitted by honest individuals is that there is a point where there the sense of accomplishment involved in gathering materials is overridden or overwhelmed by other factors (such as a sense of frustration, boredom, been-there-done-that, or just plain 'WTF am I DOING this for?'). The threshold of accomplishment to BS is a sliding scale that changes from person to person and day to day, and trying to draw a line in the sand for any random group of people is a difficult task.

So no, I don't think you can say that. It's more rewarding, to a point, for some people. For others, it's tedium right out of the gate.

I feel like this was the best single statement in the thread (among a field of both good and bad posts).

It's a GAME, by nature it's an inherently subjective experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.