What exactly is offensive about being told to play in creative mode?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
This thread makes me want to leave this forum. I have never been so... amazed... at the pointed attempt to talk around the actual question as I have in this thread.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
This thread makes me want to leave this forum. I have never been so... amazed... at the pointed attempt to talk around the actual question as I have in this thread.
I find the actual question a bit obtuse, to be perfectly honest. What's offensive about it? The same thing that's offensive about anything else; that someone was offended by it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree. Creating, implementing, and improving strategies is a skill to begin with. What you're arguing of minecraft could be said of MANY MANY games. Given enough time anyone of any skill will get to the same point. The problem with saying that? Some get there faster. How do they do that? Magic? Cheating? Nope. They've gained an understanding of everything and are able to see, use, and abuse mechanics in a way to reach a goal faster. That is skill. Give someone who has never played modded MC all the information known to someone who has been playing it for years; the veteran will almost always be faster. Developing strategies is not something which is inevitable it is something learned.

That's not difficulty, that's knowledge. And while they are linked in the majority of cases, they aren't here. You might argues there's a skill in setting up an efficient set up, and I would be inclined to agree, but you haven't accomplished something difficult, you're showing what you know about the game.

It's like playing zelda. The person with the walkthrough will pick up all the heart containers, because they know where they are. They then proceed to win the game with their nice big health pool. That's knowledge. The skilled player NEVER picks up a heart container, and can beat the game without being hit by a boss ever. That's difficulty.

They both get to the same end point, but one got there with knowledge, the other got there with skills.

Reactions: Zexks and zorn

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
That's not difficulty, that's knowledge. And while they are linked in the majority of cases, they aren't here. You might argues there's a skill in setting up an efficient set up, and I would be inclined to agree, but you haven't accomplished something difficult, you're showing what you know about the game.

It's like playing zelda. The person with the walkthrough will pick up all the heart containers, because they know where they are. They then proceed to win the game with their nice big health pool. That's knowledge. The skilled player NEVER picks up a heart container, and can beat the game without being hit by a boss ever. That's difficulty.

They both get to the same end point, but one got there with knowledge, the other got there with skills.

Difficulty is not universal. Not in general anyway. Gaining knowledge and the ability to apply it is a skill. Not everyone is capable of doing it and others are capable of doing it better.

Your example of zelda is also not skill by your own volition. The "skilled" player has intimate knowledge of how bosses work, how they attack, where to be to dodge, so on and so forth. That's not skill that's knowledge; according to you anyway.

Skill is the implementation of knowledge.

Reactions: Ryan784

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
Your example of zelda is also not skill by your own volition. The "skilled" player has intimate knowledge of how bosses work, how they attack, where to be to dodge, so on and so forth. That's not skill that's knowledge; according to you anyway.

Skill is the implementation of knowledge.

My point is it takes both knowledge AND skill to beat the game with only 3 hearts. It requires a lot less skill to defeat the game with 20. Both players would arguably have nearly equal knowledge at the end of the game, but one is definitely better at the game than the other.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
My point is it takes both knowledge AND skill to beat the game with only 3 hearts. It requires a lot less skill to defeat the game with 20. Both players would arguably have nearly equal knowledge at the end of the game, but one is definitely better at the game than the other.

A lot less is arguable. If the player with 20 hearts never gets hit by anything either? They're the same. Even so one player could simply be implementing different knowledge to achieve a similar goal. Both are skills and how you value you them is up to you.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I find the actual question a bit obtuse, to be perfectly honest. What's offensive about it? The same thing that's offensive about anything else; that someone was offended by it.

Thank you for summing up exactly what I find vexing about this conversation in one clean and utterly un-empathetic sentence.

Reactions: YX33A

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
You want my completely honest thought on why 'go play creative' has taken on the status of insult in this community?

Because this place is toxic. Every time I visit the main areas of mod & modpack discussion, I see these threads, really big ones that stretch for pages with arguing and insults designed to get past the mod radar. It feels like this forum is full of jerks who have nothing better to do than try to out-argue each other with a stifling air of superiority when I read one. Hell, those kinds of arguments crop up in other threads too.

So that's why I think it has become an insult, because this community is so vile that it made it an insult.

Keep in mind, I first joined thinking it wasn't a bad place, but every progressive visit has worsened that view.

Reactions: zorn

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That never bothered me. Running your nails across the chalkboard never bothered me.

The sound of writing on a whiteboard does irk me. Someone touching a balloon drives me insane. Especially someone making balloon animals. A clown making balloon animals is motivation for shotgun use.

Or at least a pea shooter?[DOUBLEPOST=1389851101][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, the joke there specifically is that the Centurion doesn't care about the content (he's writing Romans Go Home), just that he's using the wrong tense.

Yes, French is a Latin derivative, after all... I wrote a program in machine code during my college French class (for the credit) to conjugate all the verbs out of boredom.

Reactions: RedBoss

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Because this place is toxic.

So that's why I think it has become an insult, because this community is so vile that it made it an insult.

Keep in mind, I first joined thinking it wasn't a bad place, but every progressive visit has worsened that view.
I'd have to pretty strongly disagree with you there, although I suppose that is likely to feed your opinion.

I've been involved in an awful lot of online communities, having been around to witness the birth of the internet, and this is one of my favourites; I think that you may be confusing passion with toxicity.

Many people here are passionate about their point if view, but at the end of the day most of us support each other in a more general sense; we might disagree on the details, but we're here because we all share a passion for the game.

Yes, disagreements and arguments run strong and hot around here, but most members of this community make incredibly good, reasoned points. I might, for example, not agree with everything KirinDave says, but I know that his thoughts will be worth reading regardless.

This is a great community, and I must question the motives of anyone who comes in and tosses an opinion like yours on the fire. It's almost as if you would like for us to rage at you and confirm your opinion of us.

Well, I hope that you can get past your feelings and enjoy your time here, and if you cannot, I'm sure there's another forum out there that will accommodate you :)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019

Actually i think this thread has been pretty enlightening. People have been more up front about the whole thing in this thread than in any other thread ive seen. Also, Im going to start playing creative, and when someone tells me they like playing survival, im going to say 'tedium is not difficulty!' like people do with me and gregtech.

And when they ask what i mean im going to say that the time to craft a TE3 system, get invar, go through all the hoops... its just tedium. Time spent, nothing more. If I am told that survival is harder than creative, ill just say 'tedium is not hard!'

My point is that your way and my way are just different flavors of the same food. If you feel that TE3 or ExtraUtils in survival is more fun than playing Creative, then you are just like me... you feel that some tedium makes the game more fun and rewarding. Why would anyone go through all the hassle of crafting an MPS flight suit, just to get the same effects that I would get playing creative? Its just tedium, all that time spent in front of a crafting grid or Tinker Table Gui. I can skip all that and just get 'to the fun stuff' of building complex systems.

Really, ask yourself: why do you go through all the boring steps of crafting an MPS suit at all? Its JUST tedium right? Boring, not difficult. its just wasting time. So why do it at all? You would say im silly for using gregtech MPS recipes, but I could say youre silly for using ANY RECIPE AT ALL. It's ALL tedium.

Reactions: Zexks

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
You're joking right? Come on, everyone knows that Jungle Wood is best! It's the wood of champions!(because you can grow the food of champions on it, Cookies! Well, cocoa beans, anyway, but still, no cookies without cocoa!)
Jungle's ok, but the connoisseurs choice is clearly spruce
Your distillation of posts to key phrases reminds me of the sound track of an x-rated film I saw in the '70s. :D
Which film is that?
I'm sorry you feel that way. I never usually start conversations like this, especially on the internet, but I felt comfortable doing it because I like this forum and its members. Some of the responses I anticipated, but I feel satisfied with quite a few of the responses, so even though part of the thread has been a bit heated, I regret nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SatanicSanta
Status
Not open for further replies.