What Do You Guys Think About Cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DreamBound

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wondering what the community thinks about cheating in general.
I think there are a few types of cheating, personally.

I think there is, let's call it "Hardcore Cheating," and then there's like, "Little cheating."
I know the names suck. Whatever.
Anyway, hardcore cheating is like, spawning in whole machines, spawnin in dozens of diamonds and iridium, all that high end stuff. Now I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, but I do think it takes away some of the enjoyment and pride in completing something without cheating.
Now, little cheating is small things.
For example, you were making a machine, and you were missing 2 iron or like 4 redstone. But you don't wanna to back into the mines, go ALL the way back to your base, cook up the iron, and then finish your crafting, so you just open up NEI and click in 2 iron.

I personally find no problem with small little cheating things.
I love doing things in survival, but sometimes you just can't.
But I don't spawn in TONS of items.
The most cheating I did in my Survival was I had an ugly, gross spawn, in a Savannah, and with my Texture pack I jus could t stand it, so I flew to a RedWood forest in creative.
That, I have no issues with. I could've spent hours at the spawn, making a jet pack, and then flying till I found one, or I could have looked around and tested dozens of seeds to find one that was near spawn, but instead I just flew till I found one.

What do you guys consider cheating, and do you guys cheat?
Note; Cheating or hacking on public, survival multiplayer servers, in my opinion, is unacceptable, wrong, and dumb. I'm talking about Singleplayer, or maaaaaybe a small server with your close friends.

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
its all about what you enjoy thats the only thing the game is about anyway if you enjoy hardcore cheating have fun doing that if you enjoy little cheating hope you have fun

me myself i only cheat to prevent a ragequit like a creeper blowing up my matter fabricator :) (that happened to me on a multiplayer server it took me week to get back to playing never touched ic2 in that server ever again :( )

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I don't consider anything you mentioned cheating, really. Anyone can (and should) play the game how they like. If that means spawning something in, or flying around, so be it. I don't do those things, but that's not because I consider them cheating, but because it makes the game less fun for me.

If it's in the game, and you use it, it's not cheating, IMO.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
It's "enjoy," geisergast.

And whatever floats you boat. Cheating is bad on servers, but for SP, go for whatever.

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
It's "enjoy," geisergast.

And whatever floats you boat. Cheating is bad on servers, but for SP, go for whatever.

fixed it
epic-win.jpg

Reactions: Jess887cp

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
For me, I like to play legitimately without any spawned in stuff. I do occasionally go to a dimension door space, cheat in machines, power sources, etc to test a build I'm planning, then when done I make sure my inventory doesn't contain anything cheated and go back to the real world and do my build. I keep the 'creative' copy until I'm done building it in real conditions - then that stuff gets a load of tnt I made and it's gone.

Also if I'm updating and going to lose my world for the most part. I try to bag everything up in backpacks and such and copy my player files over to the new world. If that works, then I unpack, re-start my home, and get back to whatever it was I had planned to do next. If it doesn't though, then it's time to do the usual stuff and get back what was lost.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use NEI to build a house/make some treehouse branches off a Natura redwood.

Nothing inside the house but a few chests, but still a house. I hate having to cavelive untill i can get a proper home set-up, and that takes me awhile to get the resources i need for my homes.

So SP i typicly just spawn myself in a house and then start playing. I think of it as sorta Wizard of Oz thing.

Theres also the... Occasional... Super bad late night descion that destroys everything. I tend to fix it then go to bed.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
If I cheat too much, I get bored of a world and delete it.

If I cheat too little, I get bored of a world and delete it.

If I cheat as much as anything in between too much and too little, I feel the need to either cheat or to not cheat, which drives me into getting bored of a world and deleting it.

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
The only times I really ever spawn stuff in is if for some reason the world I was playing in got corrupted or something which has a tendancy to happen a fair bit as I generally play with all the beta versions of the mods installed.

For an example yesterday I updated IC2 only to log in and find that every chunk that had things from the advanced solar panels mod got reset. This included chunks where I had done lots of bee and tree breeding most of my ME network was eaten and a lot of my machines. On top of that about 36 Ultimate Hybrid Solar panels.

In that situation I would normally find it quite disparaging so what I did was start a new world and spawn in a few bits and pieces to get going.

Asside from that as someone said above when I start a new world I will quite often drop into creative and fly around to try and find a biome I like.

DreamBound

Jul 29, 2019
Ah yes.
I forgot the whole "WTF CREEPER THERE'S NOWHERE YOU COULD EVEN SPAWN," scenarios.
You know when there's like, a one block place that a creeper could spawn and it does, and then blows up all your things...
That's happened too much.
I do cheat in the machines they destroyed, if I don't get them back.
Oh and I remember one item I spawned in. I made a wrench, to get machines back, but it didn't work so I just spawned in an electric one :p

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Usually, I just do quality of life 'cheating'. Like, I'm making a build on a Mystcraft world, and I'm short a couple conduits. I've got a stack or two at home, but I can't be bothered to go back and get some, so I spawn in what I need. If I think about it, I'll delete what I used when I get back.

Oh, and World Anchors. World Anchors exist to overcome a game mechanic in place to improve your computer's performance. My computer can handle it, and I can't disable the mechanic in the main game, so screw it, I'm spawning them in. SSP, obviously.

Reactions: un worry

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't want to cheat in my most recent map but a volcano appeared in the huge pine forest near my base and started burning trees so I quickly gave myself noclip to go on top and pour buckets of water on that lava. I'll cheat for things like that

Reactions: wow

wow

Jul 29, 2019
For me, I like to play legitimately without any spawned in stuff. I do occasionally go to a dimension door space, cheat in machines, power sources, etc to test a build I'm planning, then when done I make sure my inventory doesn't contain anything cheated and go back to the real world and do my build. I keep the 'creative' copy until I'm done building it in real conditions - then that stuff gets a load of tnt I made and it's gone.

Also if I'm updating and going to lose my world for the most part. I try to bag everything up in backpacks and such and copy my player files over to the new world. If that works, then I unpack, re-start my home, and get back to whatever it was I had planned to do next. If it doesn't though, then it's time to do the usual stuff and get back what was lost.
This is actually a good idea.

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
I cheat too much. Generally, my method for crafting things when I'm away form home is 'cheat in thing, go home later, grab item's ingredients, trash the ingredients'. It's even worming its way into SMP, considering I'm an OP on my server...

Reactions: PeggleFrank