What do you guys look for

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
in a FTB let's Play series?
I'm currently doing one solo, and I was curious at what a number of people would find entertaining to watch in the series.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
if you are gonna do automation with rotarycraft and if you build some reactorcraft reactors im gonna watch you .. ;)
I have yet to experiment with either mod, I do plan on getting into reactorcraft at some point, probably rotary craft as well. They'll be experimental in nature since I'm unfamiliar with them. I'm a little ways from it though.

Reactions: Vasa

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I don't watch many lets plays...

... But if I did, I would DEFINITELY want the letplay'er explain everything they do to the audience so the audience can understand what they are doing ;)

Reactions: AlCapella and YX33A

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019

... But if I did, I would DEFINITELY want the letplay'er explain everything they do to the audience so the audience can understand what they are doing ;)
Of course, I have some real life friends watching that are uncomfortable jumping into mods, I'm partly using this to teach them, even if I derp my way through some of it.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I agree regarding Rotary/Reactor/ElectriCraft stuff. But I'll watch basically any decently-narrated LPs that properly SKIP RECIPES.

Good lord, does anyone still play without NEI? Or access to a wiki? Do I care about these crazy people? Stop tying up 75% of your videos with close-ups on how iron bars should be arranged on the crafting grid, I just wanna know how to best use the damn block...

Ok apparently this is a touchy subject for me.

Last edited:

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019

I watch quite a few let's plays. My computer cries in agony when I play minecraft. That said, I've seen many styles of let's plays. Though, i prefer things similar to Direwolf20's tutorial like SSP series with more of a fun "i know what i'm doing" SMP series. While it's possible to do a let's play with a bunch of mods that you're unfamiliar with, make sure to know what you're doing that specific episode. There is one thing that annoys me to no end: "oh wow, that's expensive. Maybe next episode." I'll also say that every youtuber is going to have that kind of episode at least once, but it quickly makes the show not worth watching if nothing goes as planned.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I watch quite a few let's plays. My computer cries in agony when I play minecraft. That said, I've seen many styles of let's plays. Though, i prefer things similar to Direwolf20's tutorial like SSP series with more of a fun "i know what i'm doing" SMP series. While it's possible to do a let's play with a bunch of mods that you're unfamiliar with, make sure to know what you're doing that specific episode. There is one thing that annoys me to no end: "oh wow, that's expensive. Maybe next episode." I'll also say that every youtuber is going to have that kind of episode at least once, but it quickly makes the show not worth watching if nothing goes as planned.

Then you have people like me who prefer to watch the ones that aren't really planned (a streaming let's play would be something I'd watch a lot as long as the person is understandable). There are going to be so many differing opinions to the question.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
in a FTB let's Play series?
I'm currently doing one solo, and I was curious at what a number of people would find entertaining to watch in the series.

What is your youtube account so I can watch? (heh, I know, you're not putting that out yet - but I figure no harm asking)
AND, entertaining is usually someone who enjoys playing the game.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
What is your youtube account so I can watch? (heh, I know, you're not putting that out yet - but I figure no harm asking)
AND, entertaining is usually someone who enjoys playing the game.
My youtube account is the same as my user name here and i have 2 episodes uploaded already nothing major though.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/nefroz-does-ftb-monster.44668/[DOUBLEPOST=1398184679][/DOUBLEPOST]
I agree regarding Rotary/Reactor/ElectriCraft stuff. But I'll watch basically any decently-narrated LPs that properly SKIP RECIPES.
Good lord, does anyone still play without NEI? Or access to a wiki? Do I care about these crazy people? Stop tying up 75% of your videos with close-ups on how iron bars should be arranged on the crafting grid, I just wanna know how to best use the damn block...

Ok apparently this is a touchy subject for me.
I'm not skipping many recipes, I'm trying to set stuff up before I record however, and quickly go over things using NEI and the Shift ? feature.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Then you have people like me who prefer to watch the ones that aren't really planned (a streaming let's play would be something I'd watch a lot as long as the person is understandable). There are going to be so many differing opinions to the question.
I like the ones that look off-the-cuff but I suspect were planned that way :)

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019

I know quite a few of the mods pretty well, TE3,Tcraft4,AE, TiCo to name a few. I have been derping through some stuff though forgetting things, bit nervous when im recording since this is my first time doing anything like this, it will pass.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not skipping many recipes, I'm trying to set stuff up before I record however, and quickly go over things using NEI and the Shift ? feature.
My gripe is really more directed at "Spotlights" than "Let's Plays". I don't expect someone to edit out recipes during a build unless its getting way too repetitive (Direwolf20 is good for this). But it drives me nuts when I'm trying to learn about a specific mod/block, and they take up half the show demonstrating the recipes. SO MUCH ANGER. Etc.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
My gripe is really more directed at "Spotlights" than "Let's Plays". I don't expect someone to edit out recipes during a build unless its getting way too repetitive (Direwolf20 is good for this). But it drives me nuts when I'm trying to learn about a specific mod/block, and they take up half the show demonstrating the recipes. SO MUCH ANGER. Etc.
Like all the Mariculture spotlights ive tried to watch? :p

Reactions: Pyure

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
If you get into ReactorCraft, you have to get fairly far into RotaryCraft. :p

That said, if you dive into these two to any extent more than the basic engines, I'm watching.

thats the plan, but it might come after TE, Thaumcraft 3, and probably Galacticraft(added) considering I want my base to be either a spacestation or on the moon if i can make it happen on a large scale.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you get into ReactorCraft, you have to get fairly far into RotaryCraft. :p

That said, if you dive into these two to any extent more than the basic engines, I'm watching.
Indeed. There really is basically crap info out there about ReactorCraft in particular. I've watched the Danilus and Ausyarr videos something like a thousand times, but its painful: you can tell at a glance they're fudging through it, and making tons of mistakes. (Not in the slightest their fault: there's essentially no documentation to work with either.)

PS: ElectriCraft is even worse. I keep my own documentation (things like wire throughput, battery capacity, so forth).

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. There really is basically crap info out there about ReactorCraft in particular. I've watched the Danilus and Ausyarr videos something like a thousand times, but its painful: you can tell at a glance they're fudging through it, and making tons of mistakes. (Not in the slightest their fault: there's essentially no documentation to work with either.)

PS: ElectriCraft is even worse. I keep my own documentation (things like wire throughput, battery capacity, so forth).

Yeah it will be a journey, I tend to pick things up pretty easy though. I know the borderline basics of both, and I'll prolly experiment quite extensively and a test world before i do a video on them.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
probably Galacticraft(added) considering I want my base to be either a spacestation or on the moon if i can make it happen on a large scale.

I think that'd be a cool setup to see.

There really is basically crap info out there about ReactorCraft in particular.

I've noticed that, but I'm fine with experimenting and learning from the various posts here. Makes it so I learn stuff better.