What do you guys look for

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've noticed that, but I'm fine with experimenting and learning from the various posts here. Makes it so I learn stuff better.
100% agree. In retrospect, my wording was silly: obviously I appreciate the pioneering efforts or I wouldn't be going over them so much :)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
100% agree. In retrospect, my wording was silly: obviously I appreciate the pioneering efforts or I wouldn't be going over them so much :)

I understood what you meant, don't worry. ;)

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
I think that'd be a cool setup to see.

I've noticed that, but I'm fine with experimenting and learning from the various posts here. Makes it so I learn stuff better.
I've done it in the end before, but never with Gcraft, makes it more challenging since you need a constant source of oxygen.

Anyway I'm headed to bed for the day, if you have any more suggestions I'm all ears :)

DiamondArrow

Jul 29, 2019
What I enjoy is a sense of humor so I feel entertained.
A cross over between bevo( for info, and somewhat funny) and skyzm(for laughs) would be the best.
But thats just my opinion

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I watch LPs randomly, but I prefer the person to be entertaining. You can tell when someone is actually enjoying themselves and it makes the video entertaining. I don't really care for long tutorials or watching a lot of crafting in an LP. I can check out a specific tutorial or spotlight if I want that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bevo and Wagon153

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I like watching others figure out builds, even if things do go wrong, but only if the person has some basic knowledge of the mod/mechanics. (Not knowing how to run a basic pipe/tube/wiring is annoying)
Don't show recipes/crafting unless it's quick or is a special type of craft that you can't get via NEI.

If unsure about something, don't force the watcher to watch you struggling. Cut the clip, then resume again.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I like youtubers who focus on a variety of mods, and if they are doing a modded series, actually get into the mods instead of just derping around(*cough*Captainsparklez*cough^) But what matters most is you enjoy what you do and read those comments. Some people may have some interesting insight! And lastly, a personal pet peeve of mine(although this won't stop me from watching) is crappy mics.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Generally speaking the only actual LPs I watch are ones with groups of funny chaps cracking bad jokes. That way I can split my attention to something else at the same time without missing anything vital.

If I want to watch someone doing something complicated with a mod, i'll just watch one of the innumerable demonstration vids people have made, not exactly a series with any narrative to keep up with.

Reactions: RedBoss

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I actually stumbled upon PupleMentat's Agrarian Skies LP, and am rather enjoying it. I don't watch all the episodes, and actually, I have "watched" very few of them. The thing I like about PurpleMentat's and DW20's LP series is that you don't *have* to watch them to know what is going on. They active talk and let you know what is happening. This way I can just listen to it while I do other things and tune in and watch if it is something I want to see in detail. I've gotten a few ideas now to incorporate into my own AS world just while listening.

Reactions: Wagon153

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
My main pet peeve? For god's sake, have a clue. It makes me a bit crazy when someone (this happens a lot with 'famous' vanilla players) decides "I'm just going to figure this out as I go." Yeah, good luck with that, I might check back in like 50 episodes.
Dude, I know. I can't stand that!

Reactions: RedBoss

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
One with direction. A Let's Player needs to set a goal and always be working towards it. The video should be edited to take out all the boring in betweens of MC that people dont' need to see. Etho does a VERY good job of this, though he's been doing it for a while. Watching his Let's Play evolve into what it is today, has been quite enjoyable.

Though, I enjoy the technical side of MC and prefer those projects which are well planned/executed.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
One with direction. A Let's Player needs to set a goal and always be working towards it. The video should be edited to take out all the boring in betweens of MC that people dont' need to see. Etho does a VERY good job of this, though he's been doing it for a while. Watching his Let's Play evolve into what it is today, has been quite enjoyable.

Though, I enjoy the technical side of MC and prefer those projects which are well planned/executed.
As for having a plan, I have to say this: @KirinDave you are a wise man for using BiblioCraft and the Checklist you made with it. If anyone knows of any other LPers who do such things, mention them. I'm gonna check them out. And I suggest you all do the same because it's a sign of a well done LP as far as I care. On that note, if Direwolf20 does that as well, then well shit, I'm gonna check him out again too.

Obviously, OP, make a checklist and mark it off when done, and try to get it done, one bit at a time. Add to it now and then too if your priorities shift; a fine example is taint near your base and cleaning it up.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The presenter has to be comfortable in their own skin and speaking ability, a genuine sense of wit and humor also helps.
Essentially you have to be yourself and hope yourself is entertaining enough, people can tell when you are being disingenuous and will react badly.
Also be confident; Nothing's more awkward then watching a nervous overly apologetic ball of anxiety, but on the other hand so is someone trying way too hard to be entertaining usually by being hyper and generally hamming it up.

That's why someone like Direwolf20 is somewhat popular, he's kind of ordinary and plain TBH, but becasue he present himself competently and seem like his own person he garners some followers and subs.

Also to those talking about organization, they are right but it's not so much the actual organization that helps.
If you can make your disorganization or lack of knowledge entertaining you can probably connect better with certain audiences.
That being said organization can help you avoid those omg what next freak out moments which aren't fun to watch. You know the ones, those that have an awkward pause every time they get mixed up.
Also organization outside of the game helps too, not many people can make good LP's without good editing.

Essentially I watch LP'ers that don't seem awkward and pathetic in their demeanor. People that are their own person and have a likeable personality and it helps to offer information but this isn't necessary sometimes watching someone who is just as clueless as you is rewarding.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
My main pet peeve? For god's sake, have a clue. It makes me a bit crazy when someone (this happens a lot with 'famous' vanilla players) decides "I'm just going to figure this out as I go." Yeah, good luck with that, I might check back in like 50 episodes.
Absolutely. I never watch vanilla guys play mods. Mainly because, like most people here, their "discoveries" are things I've seen and used 6 months ago.

I'd also advise anyone looking to do an LP, that playing the game and making it a video production are 2 different things. I tried doing an LP and it sucked the fun out of game play. You have to go much slower since you normally don't want to make huge progress leaps between episodes. Instead of derping around to relax from a hard day, you have to prep things for your episodes. You generally have a greater commitment to the game than normal.

You'll also have to factor in video editing time and uploading. This takes away even more fun game play time. Outside of the initial graphics for your youtube page, you now have to setup episode thumbnails, possible channel watermarks for vids, and making sure your files are organized and backed up regularly. You'll need to ensure you can have quite time IRL to record. Basically it's a lot of work.

After all hose things are considered, you'll have to decide how committed you are to doing this. You may produce 20 episodes and never break 100 views for your entire channel. Can you handle that? I got lots of good feedback both on YouTube and other sources, yet recording just wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. Other people find it fun even of they only have a handful of viewers.

I'm NOT attempting to discourage you or anyone from recording. I just saw that no one threw any of these caveats out there. I felt compelled to do so since you're asking basically how to make content for people. Do what's fun for you is the bottom line. Redstone is the most boring thing to watch someone build to me. Yet there are channels with +500k subs that are built around it.

Do what you find fun for you. Take the time to produce and edit. Make a plan for your playtime and stick to it. Hopefully you'll have fun, make friends, and learn a lot. Enjoy!

KKeys

Jul 29, 2019
I value a good voice and sense of humor a lot.

I also tend not to invest my time in Lets Plays with less then 10 episodes already. I hate getting into the start of a Lets Play only to have to wait a week after Episode 2 to see any progress, I skip right past these.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
don't ramble about your real life, I don't care about a random youtuber's life. If I did I'd type vlog in that search box instead of minecraft let's play.

Also use a test world for builds, make sure what you are trying actually works before spending 3 episodes on a doomed project

Reactions: trajing and YX33A

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Absolutely. I never watch vanilla guys play mods. Mainly because, like most people here, their "discoveries" are things I've seen and used 6 months ago.

I'd also advise anyone looking to do an LP, that playing the game and making it a video production are 2 different things. I tried doing an LP and it sucked the fun out of game play. You have to go much slower since you normally don't want to make huge progress leaps between episodes. Instead of derping around to relax from a hard day, you have to prep things for your episodes. You generally have a greater commitment to the game than normal.

You'll also have to factor in video editing time and uploading. This takes away even more fun game play time. Outside of the initial graphics for your youtube page, you now have to setup episode thumbnails, possible channel watermarks for vids, and making sure your files are organized and backed up regularly. You'll need to ensure you can have quite time IRL to record. Basically it's a lot of work.

After all hose things are considered, you'll have to decide how committed you are to doing this. You may produce 20 episodes and never break 100 views for your entire channel. Can you handle that? I got lots of good feedback both on YouTube and other sources, yet recording just wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. Other people find it fun even of they only have a handful of viewers.

I'm NOT attempting to discourage you or anyone from recording. I just saw that no one threw any of these caveats out there. I felt compelled to do so since you're asking basically how to make content for people. Do what's fun for you is the bottom line. Redstone is the most boring thing to watch someone build to me. Yet there are channels with +500k subs that are built around it.

Do what you find fun for you. Take the time to produce and edit. Make a plan for your playtime and stick to it. Hopefully you'll have fun, make friends, and learn a lot. Enjoy!

You make a lot of good points here. I have been doing my channel for about a year or so, and I have just hit around 1000 views for my channel all together, it is not easy to do it... but that is not why I do it. I love making videos and that on its own is enough to keep me going.

Make a channel if you love doing it, not as a way of trying to get views/money.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
don't ramble about your real life, I don't care about a random youtuber's life. If I did I'd type vlog in that search box instead of minecraft let's play.

Also use a test world for builds, make sure what you are trying actually works before spending 3 episodes on a doomed project
First half: THIS.
Second Half: Maybe this...

I mean, a good test world can help if the build is needed and must be tested. A good failure can be better then a great success because humans are weird and enjoy seeing mistakes, and we have movies based on this concept; that is, people fucking up and doing so very heavily.