What do you guys look for

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
(wow this blew up) Yeah I've been playing around in my test world to work on stuff for future eps, I'm not doing much editing, but im not doing a lot of stuff like mining and the boring part of exploring on camera. As far as mods go 7 eps in (7th one in editing atm) and Ive jumped between TiCo, TE, Thaumcraft, and AE, with a current goal of setting up Quarry plus with Tessis which I hope to chain into AE autocrafting into auto ore processing and Galacticraft or more Thaumcraft <3 and possibly bees. I like to think I have a good sense of humor at least, I kinda have been derping through my episodes I know the ins and outs of what I've been doing, but doing it on camera I brain fart lol.

I've been considering doing a side project of AS I've played a little of it and its been fun.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
One with direction. A Let's Player needs to set a goal and always be working towards it. The video should be edited to take out all the boring in betweens of MC that people dont' need to see. Etho does a VERY good job of this, though he's been doing it for a while. Watching his Let's Play evolve into what it is today, has been quite enjoyable.

Though, I enjoy the technical side of MC and prefer those projects which are well planned/executed.

It sorta depends. I think the direction thing is best for solo play. For group play, especially >2 people, I think the serendipity of getting distracted is what a lot of people watch for. There are lots of people out there who are really, really good at minecraft. Way better than me or Engimius or even Etho and Mumbo Jumbo. Being entertaining without being annoying is ultimately what's important.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
It sorta depends. I think the direction thing is best for solo play. For group play, especially >2 people, I think the serendipity of getting distracted is what a lot of people watch for. There are lots of people out there who are really, really good at minecraft. Way better than me or Engimius or even Etho and Mumbo Jumbo. Being entertaining without being annoying is ultimately what's important.
This is what I'm most worried about, either being just annoying, or unskilled. I know quite a bit about the mods, but i'm often disjointed or derp a good bit.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This is what I'm most worried about, either being just annoying, or unskilled. I know quite a bit about the mods, but i'm often disjointed or derp a good bit.
Just give it a shot. Try a few episodes and see. Some things can only be improved through doing them.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Just don't pretend to be someone you aren't, have fun playing the game, and above all else, play it your way. If you do, you're liable to get followers and watchers. Lots of them.

If you have to act natural, you're doing it wrong. We(royal we until otherwise stated) enjoy Direwolf20 as a personality, not his LP for his mod choices. We enjoy KirinDave because for once We saw a man with a plan and he sticks with it. We enjoy the Mind Crack guys because they are creative and while not perfect, are often funny. We Enjoy SethBling because he's the guy who makes Redstone into an art form. We enjoy Minecraft because it is MINE craft. Mine in both the sense that you dig holes in the ground and Mine as in it's how I want to do things; sandbox games thrive again due to one small game that made a company that showed indie devs that nothing really stops you from being better then a AAA game company, even the lack of massive funding.

So do it your way, have fun, and for gods sake, don't make a new mask for your channel. Be you there, or at least the mask you say is you.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

As far as I can tell, everyone is terrible when they start out. Be honest with yourself and figure out what's terrible, then work on fixing it.

My primary reason for youtube-ing, orignally, was to get better at my communication skills. Being able to explain complex stuff as I do it is very challenging for a shy guy like me.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Editing is key. You can derp, but make sure none of the time wasting derp is on the videos. PnP is a good example of good derp. His earlier videos had some of the more annoying derp, but his videos eventually evolved into a form where you can watch him for the good-hearted humour, to which his LP is aimed towards.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
A bit from me.
1. I enjoy Direwolf20 for few reasons I like the fact that he knows what he is doing both modwise and serieswise. There is nothing worst for me than youtuber who just goes with it and what I end up watching is hime walking through bloody forest for like half his video. You should aim at something similar so when you sit down to recording you know that in this episode you are going to focus on building thermal expansion or doubling mechanics in next episode you will build some sorting network etc. I am not saying that you must plan every minute of your video but have a good general idea what you want to achive.

2. As mentioned before edit boring stuff seeing you build some machine for a first time is okay and educational but if I have to see you craft 20 dynamos I will quite the video.

3. Have a theme like DW20 is good at teaching step by step Etho makes complex fun things, BdaubleO builds great building don't aim to be amazing at everything accept your weaknesses and make them your trademark. DW20 couldn't build a basic house even if his life depended on it so rather than trying he simply doesn't do it and made 9x9 his feature. If you suck at computer craft and hate it don't do it find intresting way to go around it people will enjoy it more than watching you doing something you hate.

4. DO NOT and I can't stress this enough DO NOT swear and shout if I watch video and I hear youtuber shouting on top of his voice out of nowhere it makes me want to throw laptop on the wall and punch him in the face. There is really no need to behave like 13 years old boy. Also I watch a lot of videos with my daughter being in a room I don't really need to here F word every 5 min. I unsubsribed to few youtubers for this reason even though I enjoyed what they were doing.

As to the whole "I'm not sure I'm good enough" thing do yourself a favour and go right now to following channels Etho, Direwold20, Doc77 go to video section and click on their first ever video and watch it. This guys were so shit that it's unbelievable when I did that and Watched my first video of DW20 I felt sorry for him he was petrified and camera shy every other sentence had "I am going now eeeeeeed build eeeeee furnence because eeeeee I eeee need furnence eee" Itlooked rridiculous and look at him now he is so confident and entertaining to watch. Practice makes perfect noone was born a youtube star and the only way to get better is to keep trying. If your first video is rubish don't worry most people who join your channel in few months probably won't watch it anyway but you have to start somewhere.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Just give it a shot. Try a few episodes and see. Some things can only be improved through doing them.
Way ahead of you i'm 6 eps in on a monster play through and just started a AS play through today. I dove right in, but everyone has apprehensions

A bit from me.
1. I enjoy Direwolf20 for few reasons I like the fact that he knows what he is doing both modwise and serieswise. There is nothing worst for me than youtuber who just goes with it and what I end up watching is hime walking through bloody forest for like half his video. You should aim at something similar so when you sit down to recording you know that in this episode you are going to focus on building thermal expansion or doubling mechanics in next episode you will build some sorting network etc. I am not saying that you must plan every minute of your video but have a good general idea what you want to achive.

2. As mentioned before edit boring stuff seeing you build some machine for a first time is okay and educational but if I have to see you craft 20 dynamos I will quite the video.

3. Have a theme like DW20 is good at teaching step by step Etho makes complex fun things, BdaubleO builds great building don't aim to be amazing at everything accept your weaknesses and make them your trademark. DW20 couldn't build a basic house even if his life depended on it so rather than trying he simply doesn't do it and made 9x9 his feature. If you suck at computer craft and hate it don't do it find intresting way to go around it people will enjoy it more than watching you doing something you hate.

4. DO NOT and I can't stress this enough DO NOT swear and shout if I watch video and I hear youtuber shouting on top of his voice out of nowhere it makes me want to throw laptop on the wall and punch him in the face. There is really no need to behave like 13 years old boy. Also I watch a lot of videos with my daughter being in a room I don't really need to here F word every 5 min. I unsubsribed to few youtubers for this reason even though I enjoyed what they were doing.

As to the whole "I'm not sure I'm good enough" thing do yourself a favour and go right now to following channels Etho, Direwold20, Doc77 go to video section and click on their first ever video and watch it. This guys were so shit that it's unbelievable when I did that and Watched my first video of DW20 I felt sorry for him he was petrified and camera shy every other sentence had "I am going now eeeeeeed build eeeeee furnence because eeeeee I eeee need furnence eee" Itlooked rridiculous and look at him now he is so confident and entertaining to watch. Practice makes perfect noone was born a youtube star and the only way to get better is to keep trying. If your first video is rubish don't worry most people who join your channel in few months probably won't watch it anyway but you have to start somewhere.

1. Been doing a good job of this one I think, little derps but i go into a vid with a plan and see where it takes me.

2. Half n Half on this one id say, Im trying to keep the grindy crafting minimal by either precrafting everything, and just saving 1 to craft on camera, or doing a bunch on camera and anymore I have to do later I do off cam.

3. This is probably one of the odd ones for me, I have a pretty big potty mouth. I don't shout much, but i've had a few S bombs out of surprises. It's a WIP, I'm getting better at it.

and lastly yeah that's why I just jumped in I've watched some of their early stuff, but you still get the apprehension XD.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
@Nefroz re point 3 I am no sait either and swear a lot irl I blame stressful butter job :p But I know a lot of kids are watching videos so If I slip during a video I can fix it during edition There is no excuse for any swearing in youtube video as it is not live and anything can be cut out of it. :)

Apart of luck good luck to you I know making videos is har work but very rewarding imo.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
@Feniks yeah, I know the feels I have a 7 month old daughter myself , and I agree with that, I however am an editing noob I know 0 anout it and am learning through trial and error, haven't been able to get the audio to do what I want yet.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
1. I am adding my thoughts without going back & reading anyone else's.

2. No silly voices or skits, just play the game. Also, don't be a hyperactive 9 year old on a sugar rush.

3. Show me something I don't know. I watch minecraft videos so I don't have to spend countless hours derping around trying to figure out how to use an item before looking for poorly documented or outdated info on the wikis. Every mod has certain things that everyone who touches the mod uses, show me the blocks no one uses.

4. Whatever bandwagon the MindCrackers & the Hermitcrafters are on, pick something else. I'm already seeing enough Agrarian Skies, Attack of the B-Team, & Resonant Rise Let's Plays.

5. Develop a unique & interesting architectural style. Inspire me to try harder in my own builds.

6. Have fun. You should be escaping from your real life. Save the venting for the vlogs.

7. Post often. DW20 & xBCrafted are my go-to's because they usually manage to have videos up daily. If you can't post often, at least try to post on a regular schedule.

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
1. I am adding my thoughts without going back & reading anyone else's.

2. No silly voices or skits, just play the game. Also, don't be a hyperactive 9 year old on a sugar rush.

3. Show me something I don't know. I watch minecraft videos so I don't have to spend countless hours derping around trying to figure out how to use an item before looking for poorly documented or outdated info on the wikis. Every mod has certain things that everyone who touches the mod uses, show me the blocks no one uses.

4. Whatever bandwagon the MindCrackers & the Hermitcrafters are on, pick something else. I'm already seeing enough Agrarian Skies, Attack of the B-Team, & Resonant Rise Let's Plays.

5. Develop a unique & interesting architectural style. Inspire me to try harder in my own builds.

6. Have fun. You should be escaping from your real life. Save the venting for the vlogs.

7. Post often. DW20 & xBCrafted are my go-to's because they usually manage to have videos up daily. If you can't post often, at least try to post on a regular schedule.

As a watcher of nefroz's videos, I think that most of these points are nailed on the head, but as a youtuber myself, I think that most of these points are personal preference, it's like the skits, I could make a video that's interesting, and if I think or find something that gave me a giggle, I will try to replicate it, what's the point of making videos if you don't make anyone smile, but what I think is key for success is variation of videos, again personal preference, I like CoD zombies and multiplayer rants, so any channel with that in is a instant sub, saying that, I need to sift through my 100+ sub box...

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Just go have fun.

If you annoy someone they can go find someone else to watch. There is no shortage of MC YTers. If you are recording for the sake of getting viewers, not because you are enjoying yourself, you are ultimately letting both you and the viewers down. Don't try to be someone you aren't. Go find what it is you enjoy, and have fun doing that. The rest is a long, often very harsh, but potentially greatly rewarding experience.

If you are half as shy as I, the idea of putting yourself out there w/ millions of people watching you can be daunting. You will be cussed out and told many horrible things (I am 50-100 times a day). It is scary putting yourself out there. Best way I've managed to handle the noise has been to focus on what I enjoy and making sure I am having fun. At the end of everyday it is SOOOO worth it. The modded community is remarkable. I have so many wonderful people join me in my MC adventures. It is truly a enjoyable experience I can't imagine playing Minecraft without everyone joining me anymore. :)

Edit: Read some of the suggestions in the thread and will respectfully disagree with many. They are good advice, but aimed at professional Youtubers. The biggest mistake any new Youtuber can make IMO when first starting out is to try to be a professional Youtuber before finding his/herself on YT. It is a lot harder than most would imagine, and ruining the amazing experience of starting out and growing by trying to be some professional YTer would be a massive shame. When starting out, the goals IMO should be to have fun, find what it is you excel at and enjoy recording. Try MANY different things. Don't get stuck doing one thing. Gain experience. Don't worry about numbers of viewers or subscribers. Have fun, find yourself and go from there.

Last edited:

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Just go have fun.

If you annoy someone they can go find someone else to watch. There is no shortage of MC YTers. If you are recording for the sake of getting viewers, not because you are enjoying yourself, you are ultimately letting both you and the viewers down. Don't try to be someone you aren't. Go find what it is you enjoy, and have fun doing that. The rest is a long, often very harsh, but potentially greatly rewarding experience.

If you are half as shy as I, the idea of putting yourself out there w/ millions of people watching you can be daunting. You will be cussed out and told many horrible things (I am 50-100 times a day). It is scary putting yourself out there. Best way I've managed to handle the noise has been to focus on what I enjoy and making sure I am having fun. At the end of everyday it is SOOOO worth it. The modded community is remarkable. I have so many wonderful people join me in my MC adventures. It is truly a enjoyable experience I can't imagine playing Minecraft without everyone joining me anymore. :)

Edit: Read some of the suggestions in the thread and will respectfully disagree with many. They are good advice, but aimed at professional Youtubers. The biggest mistake any new Youtuber can make IMO when first starting out is to try to be a professional Youtuber before finding his/herself on YT. It is a lot harder than most would imagine, and ruining the amazing experience of starting out and growing by trying to be some professional YTer would be a massive shame. When starting out, the goals IMO should be to have fun, find what it is you excel at and enjoy recording. Try MANY different things. Don't get stuck doing one thing. Gain experience. Don't worry about numbers of viewers or subscribers. Have fun, find yourself and go from there.

Hah, yeah I have no misconceptions about it, I'm no pro. I do however wanna provide entertaining content for folks.

@MacAisling I agree for the most part, but the bandwagon thing I'm not so convinced on. Sure I'm all for originality, but take Ag Skies for example. I'm currently doing vids on it in addition to my normal monster LP, am I doing it because a lot of people are? Yeah sure its popular right now. However I'm also doing it because its friggen fun, I'm having a really good time with it, and the vids are coming more natural to me than my normal monster LP.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
However I'm also doing it because its friggen fun, I'm having a really good time with it, and the vids are coming more natural to me than my normal monster LP.
This is certainly a valid argument in favor of doing it. I'm just saying that there are only so many early game ag skies vids I can stand to watch, & I've already hit my limit. Things do get a little more interesting once the players get familiar with the Ex Nihilo mechanics & get past the beginning automation phase. I did check out your monster vids today & you certainly meet my criteria for watchable.

TE ducts are great for automating the TiCo smeltery, you just have to keep a separate filtered line for each material coming out of it. I'm currently set up to run 17 materials into casting basins out of a single smeltery.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
This is certainly a valid argument in favor of doing it. I'm just saying that there are only so many early game ag skies vids I can stand to watch, & I've already hit my limit. Things do get a little more interesting once the players get familiar with the Ex Nihilo mechanics & get past the beginning automation phase. I did check out your monster vids today & you certainly meet my criteria for watchable.

TE ducts are great for automating the TiCo smeltery, you just have to keep a separate filtered line for each material coming out of it. I'm currently set up to run 17 materials into casting basins out of a single smeltery.
I recorded half of my third ep of AS earlier (wasn't able to finish cause the baby woke up) And my current setup is to have a liquiduct pumping metals into basin/ingot cast and an itemduct to pump it to an iron chest. Only downside to the basin is sometimes it doesn't have enoug and you gotta reverse, once I get deeper in I wanna do multiple smelteries and use pnumatic servos to single out specific liquids into basins.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
1506854_10202890219969864_5845642426889524674_n.jpg

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I watch quite a few of them LPs, so it is unlikely I can make time for one more. But, FWIW, what appeals to me in LP videos personally?
  • Does the person come across as a likeable person? Here's the deal. Why must I spend 30-50 minutes of my life with a total stranger, listening to them with full concentration, if I did not empathise with them or like them in the first place?
  • THE VOICE: I love authentic accents (for e.g., commonwealth, non-native-english-speaker, etc.). I love rich, deep voices. I love calm and composed commentary. I like some cheerfulness in the tone and in the commentary. I love it when they can break the monotony and speak something totally different to whatever the episode was, for a short time, and come back into topic (got to love psj for that one ;) ). Basically they should be a natural conversationalist. I hate "Ummmms" and "Awwwws". On that note, aurey sends my nerves jangling (I am going to get hounded for this for sure)! Sacre bleu!
  • Side Note: I really really hate it when they jump around for no reason, It disorients, and does nothing to the quality of your video. On that note: DIRE! For freakin freak's sake! Stop jumping everywhere all the bloodytime!
  • They're willing to learn along in the video themselves (this is what makes the direwolf videos very endearing to me)
  • I also like it when the videos mix and match - focused builds for a few episodes, followed by random role-play and adventuring for a few others.
  • Have other players around at times, with whom they can banter and throw ideas at.
If I think of more, I'll make another post.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
I watch quite a few of them LPs, so it is unlikely I can make time for one more. But, FWIW, what appeals to me in LP videos personally?
  • Does the person come across as a likeable person? Here's the deal. Why must I spend 30-50 minutes of my life with a total stranger, listening to them with full concentration, if I did not empathise with them or like them in the first place?
  • THE VOICE: I love authentic accents (for e.g., commonwealth, non-native-english-speaker, etc.). I love rich, deep voices. I love calm and composed commentary. I like some cheerfulness in the tone and in the commentary. I love it when they can break the monotony and speak something totally different to whatever the episode was, for a short time, and come back into topic (got to love psj for that one ;) ). Basically they should be a natural conversationalist. I hate "Ummmms" and "Awwwws". On that note, aurey sends my nerves jangling (I am going to get hounded for this for sure)! Sacre bleu!
  • Side Note: I really really hate it when they jump around for no reason, It disorients, and does nothing to the quality of your video. On that note: DIRE! For freakin freak's sake! Stop jumping everywhere all the bloodytime!
  • They're willing to learn along in the video themselves (this is what makes the direwolf videos very endearing to me)
  • I also like it when the videos mix and match - focused builds for a few episodes, followed by random role-play and adventuring for a few others.
  • Have other players around at times, with whom they can banter and throw ideas at.
Some of these like voice I'm not sure on that's up to the viewer really hah, I prolly. Have a slight southern accent being from Louisiana.

I really want to get in with other players, but its hard to find reliable people to make vids with never mind trusting people. I don't Plan on going around asking well known lpers to duo with me either, id rather wait for someone to come to me this early in. I don't wanna come across as trying to be a sub leech.

I'm a firm beliver in if you build it they will come, so for now solo is how I wanna play it :)

As for umms well that's something I'm trying to practice, and I have learned so far its something that's hard not to do.

As far as jumping if you mean like jumping in game, if you sprint and jump you actually move fasterthan straight sprinting.

If you mean jump subjects, I'm kinda scatterbrained at times, and my monster lp is definatly a bit scattered as I dip my toes into about 4 or 5 mods so far just to get rudementary setups.