What do you consider cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
They would have to seriously modify the game to incorporate that, but it'd be neat.
It's Mojang, they made the game. They could have done that instead of given us item frames, bats, or pumpkin pie. Maybe someone will say, "but what about the people who want to play regular hard mode Minecraft with 1 life?". This can be done by quitting the game when you die, and setting the game to Hard. Changing the whole hardcore system and everything like that idea earlier would be a bit harder.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
It's Mojang, they made the game. They could have done that instead of given us item frames, bats, or pumpkin pie. Maybe someone will say, "but what about the people who want to play regular hard mode Minecraft with 1 life?". This can be done by quitting the game when you die, and setting the game to Hard. Changing the whole hardcore system and everything like that idea earlier would be a bit harder.

Hey.

Hey.

I like item frames. But yeah; I agree.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to say what I think is cheap or lame is something different then cheating.

Cheating to me is exploits, spawning items, using server commands like gamerule, and hacking.

But there is many things I would call overpowered, unbalanced, or just straight up cheap.

Reactions: slay_mithos

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
#AreWeStillDoingThisOrDidThatPartOfTheThreadDieOut

Completely on topic, Mystcraft if quite buggy and actually imo pretty awful. It's actually impressive for me to see someone actually use it to their advantage.

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, so lemme get this straight... OP thinks NOT playing with Gregtech is cheating?
And that Mystcraft is cheap?
Have you even PLAYED Myst?
#stopusinghashtagsbecauseidontwantthistopictogetclosedforspammingorforgoingofftopic

I was simply putting Gregtech out there for people to discuss. I wanted to know what other people thought about it. I didn't say it was cheating, or not cheating to disable it. As for Mystcraft, the only thing I said about it was "That's actually a very good point, although I usually don't use Mystcraft. I personally think it's fine to use though".

I'll be taking the bit about GregTech out of the OP though. It seems to be causing too much arguing.

Reactions: MrJims

ProGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, so I can find a place in the overworld that is extreme hills, flat, and always sunny? And when I've torn gigantic holes in it instead of cleaning up after myself I can just destroy it?
Well I if I can't use mystcraft to get biome specific resources I'll have to ravage and destroy the land near other peoples places to keep mine nice and clean!

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a list of things that may or may not be considered cheating. Let me know what you think is cheating, and what's not.
  • Keeping Inventory On Death
  • Toggling Downfall
  • Giving Yourself A Bed
  • Making it Night To Sleep
  • Setting Your Home/Spawn With A Mod
  • Disabling Void Fog and Void Darkness with Optifine
  • Playing on Peaceful
  • Disabling Creeper Damage/mobGriefing Game Rule
Let me know your thoughts on casual single player.

Most of those are just convenient ways of doing things a bit faster or more conveniently than normal. Keeping Inventory on Death is probably the only one I'd call outright cheating... though it's also the one I really wished could have happened for me not long ago :(

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
As I've said in another thread, I turn on Creative mode to build large buildings and structures. I never really considered this cheating because creative building is basically a different game for me. When I construct a new building, I'm taking a break from the game where you accumulate resources to build machines and am starting a new game where the goal is to build the most aesthetically pleasing & spatially efficient structure possible. The fact that both games exist within the same world is one of the reasons why I keep coming back to Minecraft.

Reactions: Hoff

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
The main thing I consider cheating - is using bugs/exploits, like that anvil+soulshards, even though I don't like grinding moms to fill up that shard.

But there are some things I don't wanna do, because I think that's just wrong, even though many people wouldn't consider that as cheating.
1) Nether lava. Actually, I never did that, so it might not be as good as it seems, but it seems pretty easy
2) Compact solar power. Well, actually, with vanilla IC/Compact solars. I don't know how it feels with GregTech, since recipes seem insane, but I think it's pretty stupid - one single block that generates over9000 eu out of nothing. I think solars should ALWAYS take a lot of space - that's the main option of increasing their output.
And anyways, I've got tired of solars long ago, so I don't want to use even non-compact ones. Maybe if it will be the only way to generate power for some build.
3) PowerConverters instead of Steam Turbine. - Maybe it's not cheating, but I don't like the look of it. Significantly decreased resource cost and increased efficiency just because PowerCrystals feels that RC is underpowered. Not sure about other converters, but I don't actually plan to use it at all
4) Tweaking energy outputs in configs. Even when it was better before and then nerfed. Yeah, configs are there to do that, but what's the point? Author decided that, for example, generator generates 10 Eu/t. One could say "Nah, that's too small" and changes to 20. But why not 200? Or maybe 5? It's like previous point - making mod working not how it was intended. Yeah, one can point me on GregTech, and at first I was very skeptical about it, but it is different from just changing configs or adding a converter that just ruins existing one.
5) Using other people's programs for CC. It's better to write it by myself. or use other build.

electroscape

Jul 29, 2019
Personally i consider ell that you listed cheating, i added a bunch of mods to make things harder, like harder peaceful, and tweak craft.
But i think its up to you, as long as your playing on ssp that is. :D
A little of topic, but not much, i wish someone would make a TFC/FTB crossover addon or something, cause i love TFC, but its not compatible with (insert mod here). :/

Xikulis

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is terrible and you should all feel ashamed for any contribution you made to it. I'm going to try and find water hot enough to bath the filth of having posted in here off.

Edit: Lambert, you're still cool.

Reactions: Lambert2191

electroscape

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is terrible and you should all feel ashamed for any contribution you made to it. I'm going to try and find water hot enough to bath the filth of having posted in here off.

You just posted on this thread. o_O

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Congratulations! You've actually found a way to break through the invisible floor of vacuousness in forum posts and find a new bottom to lie against.

The only thing worse than a low-content-density thread: a condemnation post in said thread.

Reactions: Katrinya