What do you consider cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
I've always wondered what is considered cheating in FTB. Is it considering cheating to disable Gregtech? What about keeping your inventory on death?

Here's a list of things that may or may not be considered cheating. Let me know what you think is cheating, and what's not.
  • Keeping Inventory On Death
  • Toggling Downfall
  • Giving Yourself A Bed
  • Making it Night To Sleep
  • Setting Your Home/Spawn With A Mod
  • Disabling Void Fog and Void Darkness with Optifine
  • Playing on Peaceful
  • Disabling Creeper Damage/mobGriefing Game Rule
Let me know your thoughts on casual single player.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Depends what kind of a mood I'm in.

Generally speaking, all of the above. However, I certainly wouldn't consider disabling void fog to be cheating because void fog is a pain in the ass. Of course, give the nature of FTB, I no longer mine my own shit, so that's irrelevant for me now.

If the game cheats me out of something, I have no problem cheating it back in, though. Like a chunk reset, for example.

seannyyx

Jul 29, 2019
All the above... Though if it rains for a long time... Even after sleeping I might consider toggling.

I have.. Must admit.. Spawned items >.<
However it was because they were expensive and I'd only made them 5 minutes before hitting them with a pick and tuning them in to machine blocks.
So it was technically only to replace a "noob" error.wasn't spawning in any random thing. I'd lost materials to make them..

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
If the game cheats me out of something, I have no problem cheating it back in, though. Like a chunk reset, for example.
That's sorta what I usually do, although then I get carried away.

So it was technically only to replace a "noob" error.wasn't spawning in any random thing. I'd lost materials to make them..
I do this all the time.

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I sometimes get carried away, too.

This one time I got killed by a Lich. I didn't give myself my lost items back, though. I got them back legitimately, and then nuked the Lich castle.
Haha, nice!

I just started up a new single player world a couple days ago. I'm not doing too well with not cheating. I've really gotta stop. I usually fly back to my base in creative cause I'm too lazy to make a bed, and I have Greg Tech disabled (I wouldn't really consider that cheating).

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
<snip>
Let me know your thoughts on casual single player.
The most important point here is that you base your point on single player.

In single player, you can spawn yourself everything you want, and that still would not be considered cheating by most.
As long as you don't intend to brag about what you have gotten, of course.

But the major point of SSP is to have fun. And as you are the only one playing, nothing you will do will impact anyone else.
So choose your own rules, and even adapt them as your views and wishes evolve.

I personally like to play without using glitches and other methods that you mentioned, but that's entirely my choice, and I won't force anyone to do the same in their SSP worlds.

For example, what player of Age of Empire (yeah, it starts to be an old game now) didn't have fun with the rocket cars and the catapults with cows? They were cheat codes, but they made it so much fun, when you were bored with your game after a while.

And in minecraft, try to find people that never spawned any item in their ssp, never turned peaceful on, and stuff like that. Good luck, because even if we exclude the "test worlds" where we basically spawn in everything, there might be at least one time, when you lost everything to lava, or when a creeper blew up your base, bed included, 10k blocks from spawn.

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
What about your thoughts on spawing in blocks you can't get legitly? Bottoms of doors for an example, or Block 36?

Jul 29, 2019
I also sometimes use creative or spawn items that could be considered "cheating" but i try to compensate by deleting something of equal value.
For example, say i wanted to make a portal gun, but killing the wither would be a huge pain in the ass, so what i would is give myself the nether star that i need, then compensate by destroying a couple of my diamonds, as if i were trading with someone on a server. This way i keep my game in a bit of a balance and it helps to avoid getting carried away with spawning items.

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
Not using gregtech is cheating? Sorry but that is the single most moronic statement I have ever seen on these forums. Be ashamed of your stupidity if you seriously believe that!

and I have Greg Tech disabled (I WOULDN'T really consider that cheating).

I was simply asking everyone else their thoughts on it.[DOUBLEPOST=1365537157][/DOUBLEPOST]
I also sometimes use creative or spawn items that could be considered "cheating" but i try to compensate by deleting something of equal value.
For example, say i wanted to make a portal gun, but killing the wither would be a huge pain in the ass, so what i would is give myself the nether star that i need, then compensate by destroying a couple of my diamonds, as if i were trading with someone on a server. This way i keep my game in a bit of a balance and it helps to avoid getting carried away with spawning items.
Ah, so pretty much bringing back the old EE.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot Mystcraft. Infinite worlds to mine and the ability to teleport/recall anywhere/anytime.

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot Mystcraft. Infinite worlds to mine and the ability to teleport/recall anywhere/anytime.
That's actually a very good point, although I usually don't use Mystcraft. I personally think it's fine to use though.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I use it, I just feel guilty. :) Without Mystcraft I couldn't have my 1 chunk stacked Void base that frees me from much of the overworld lag on the server I play on.

Jul 29, 2019

umm... the infinite world thing is nothing new... the world is infinite as it is...

I was simply asking everyone else their thoughts on it.[DOUBLEPOST=1365537157][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ah, so pretty much bringing back the old EE.

Basically yeah, I am a bit disappointed that EE is getting completely renovated (though the EE3 hasnt been completed so I cant really say whether its better or worse) and although i understand that the solar relay collector things were a bit too good, i thought that the condenser chest was amazing, as i could change items for others, without actually having to spawn anything in

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Not using gregtech is cheating? Sorry but that is the single most moronic statement I have ever seen on these forums. Be ashamed of your stupidity if you seriously believe that!

Not playing with GregTech means that nearly anything and everything you do is radically easier than with.

Some would equate that with cheating, and they would have merit in that regard. Some people consider using Soul Shards cheating. Some people consider spawning Mystcraft creative notebooks in cheating. Some people consider Mystcraft in general cheating. How about EE exploits?

It's based on opinions and perspective. It's not necessarily right or wrong. It just is.

Reactions: Zexks

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
Basically yeah, I am a bit disappointed that EE is getting completely renovated (though the EE3 hasnt been completed so I cant really say whether its better or worse) and although i understand that the solar relay collector things were a bit too good, i thought that the condenser chest was amazing, as i could change items for others, without actually having to spawn anything in

I guess this brings us to another point. Did the old EE seem a bit overpowered to anyone else? I sorta like their new route with Minium stones. I just hope sometime you can just put a Minium stone in a chest, and it would condense it all to the highest value.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
umm... the infinite world thing is nothing new... the world is infinite as it is...

Oh, so I can find a place in the overworld that is extreme hills, flat, and always sunny? And when I've torn gigantic holes in it instead of cleaning up after myself I can just destroy it?