What do you consider cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Absolutely, without a doubt, infinitely, nothing. I don't consider anything cheating at all.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Again Mash if you cant see how going completely outside the hard boundaries of the game is considered cheating just because the cheat mode is there then lets just agree to disagree on this one because we can't even find a place to start this discussion at this point and throwing up strawman arguments like the creative world (when we were obviously talking in the context of survival) is beneath you and I to argue.

But in case that wasn't meant to be a straw man Ill bite. In creative mode NEI is giving you a better UI over something you could do anyway and is therefore inside the bounds and rules of the game mode. If you really wanted to get technical then cheat mode should probably be renamed in creative but that would be confusing from a usability perspective.

Well, to argue something, we need to understand what we're arguing. Before we can decide what we consider 'cheating', we have to define what cheating actually is. Otherwise, we're just labeling things without understanding what we're labeling them as.

Sure, we can just agree to disagree. I'm okay with that. But I'd also like to delve into the topic more, because it really is interesting. What do we consider cheating? Is it something that we can universally label, or is cheating ALWAYS determined on a case-by-case basis?

Also, I appreciate the civilized tone. You're one of the only people here that seems to be capable.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Omg he is going to define cheating. This has to be Bill Clinton. No one else would be so dodgy in answering questions.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
This topic is going a little further then I thought. I enjoy hearing everyones thoughts, but just for the record, what I'm asking is what do YOU consider cheating. How would YOU play on YOUR SP world.
To be honest, I do sometimes cheat in SSP.

But I'm not painting it pink and calling it pretty names :).

On the topic of g-tech, One could theoretically argue that the pack was put together with it for balance in mind. So by removing it you could hypothetically say that you're going against the packmakers idea of how difficult said pack should be, in essence you could suppositionally say that the packmaker - if he at all cared - might think that you're kinda, sort of, cheating.

But really, it's your game and your choice of mods. And calling that cheating is an ugly stretch and only a hardcore fanatic would call it that to your face. Then again, calling anyone who thinks it could at least theoretically BE cheating stupid... is stupid :p.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
And Lo. From the deep space of Marvel the wise Deadpool speaks. The masses are humbled by his wisdom.

^_^ Good point Poppy

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
My 2 cents on the argument; there are no rules in minecraft as far as I'm concerned unless you or a server op choose to set specific rules. Then your rules don't mean jack to anyone but you or people on your server.

mitchel190

Jul 29, 2019
I consider cheating altering any aspect of a mod pack's config and any action that requires you to be an op. The only cheating thing my friends and I do when starting a new server is to take a vote on whether or not we like the random seed we were given after looking at the lay of the land for a minute or two. If we all hate the seed we will delete it and try again.

personally i disagree that changing configs is cheating. when i start a server(or play ssp) for my bros and a few friends i almost always tweak a config or two. for ex i PERSONALLY find geothermal power a bit op with the nether so I usually tweak it so its more on par with other sources of power. or change bees or forestry to HARD mode. But at the end of the day thats how Id prefer to play and if thats fun for me/us then thats what really matters

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like the new EE. It feels like there's been more time spent on making it "balanced" rather than fun. A good mod does not have to be balanced, though I'm sure somebody's going to tell me I'm not having fun correctly.

I only consider cheating on servers as cheating. Not single player. This means flying-hacking, invedit, etc. (I don't even know if that's still around). I don't consider stealing or trickery or sabotaging to be cheating (though i wish more servers were okay with this)

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Ummm the new EE is far from finished. Right now all they have in their is the basics. Literally the bare minimum.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Things I will do:

I turn off mobGriefing because I'm more of a builder than anything else. It would suck to have a matterfab destroyed by a creeper, but to me it's much worse if an enderman sticks a random dirt block in my base. I've never actually had a creeper blow up in a base I've made, but even if one did fixing the damage would likely be more annoyance than actual gameplay.

Similarly, I do most of my building on peaceful. It takes a long time to build some of my structures, so I don't want to waste time running back to my bed to switch to day.

I turn off fire spread. Again, I'm a builder at heart. I'm not gonna let a stray lightning bolt burn down one of my creations. However, I might consider turning this back on in my current world if I make a lightning rod or start doing a lot of reckless thaumcrafting since the lightning danger is a balancing point.

I toggle rain off all the time because it can just be annoying. No gameplay reason, just a matter of whether I want to avoid hearing it.

I have occasionally changed the time to night if I would have afked waiting for it to come around anyway. For example, I've changed time to night so I could hunt endermen when I was waiting on ender pearls to continue my project. I would probably act similarly switching things to day, but that's what beds are for.

I revert the Matterfab EU requirement to the standard IC2 amount while playing SSP. IMO, the energy requirement for the Matterfab is balanced around a server running 24/7. For SSP I just don't see how it makes sense. However, I don't re-enable the Massfab. All that iridium-based stuff should still take a while to get, so I don't mind having to wait a while to start on the production of UU.

I once spawned in a stack of feathers to expedite Thaumcraft research. I already had an automatic chicken farm up and running, but I didn't want to wait for more feathers so I spawned them in and deleted a stack from the farm later.

I've switched to creative mode a few times to fly back to my batbox when my jetpack ran out of juice rather than nerd poling my way up.

Things I won't do:

Nether lava. It's just too easy for my tastes. I'll do netherrack in a magma crucible, but only for limited lava production. For things like lava centrifuging I either use overworld lava or cobble in a magma crucible. I'm also looking into supplying lava via bees.

Soul Shard + Anvil exploit/bug. I've been tempted to use it a few times to get some of the more ridiculous shards, but I found it much more interesting to devise systems that works around those limitations.

Power systems reliant on solar. I don't mind mixing in a panel or 2 - they're great for low-power operations with 100% uptime like my AE network, but they're just not very interesting. I don't really consider them cheating, I just don't use them beyond supplemental power.

Revert GT recipe changes. I totally get why people hate a lot of these, but I've played with mods for so long that I really appreciate how building things the GT way can incorporate so many mods. Even if you have to use different power systems for some of the parts, it makes for a more unified experience imo. The one quibble I have is the macerator. Sometimes I revert that to easy mode, other times I change the pulverizer to hard mode. It doesn't make any sense to have one easy and one hard, though.

Mindlessly copy ComputerCraft programs. This one is a bit fuzzy because I've definitely changed my views on the issue over time. A first I had no clue how to code, so I just used programs I found online. As I learned a bit of LUA I made tweaks to some of those programs and wrote some simple ones for myself. In my current world I only use programs that I either coded myself or tweaked to suit my personal style. Giving up AustinKK's OreQuarry hurt, but turtles are already such cheap auto-miners that I didn't feel too bad.

Reactions: mitchel190

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, I do sometimes cheat in SSP.

But I'm not painting it pink and calling it pretty names :).

On the topic of g-tech, One could theoretically argue that the pack was put together with it for balance in mind. So by removing it you could hypothetically say that you're going against the packmakers idea of how difficult said pack should be, in essence you could suppositionally say that the packmaker - if he at all cared - might think that you're kinda, sort of, cheating.

But really, it's your game and your choice of mods. And calling that cheating is an ugly stretch and only a hardcore fanatic would call it that to your face. Then again, calling anyone who thinks it could at least theoretically BE cheating stupid... is stupid :p.

I must just be really terrible at explaining my position, because it was essentially this, and I don't see anyone jumping on your back about it.

Either way, I apologize to anyone I might have offended. Sometimes I get a little wrapped up in the argument.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
you didn't offend me. And I have a similar problem of explaining myself well. Or as has been mentioned before: eloquently.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
you didn't offend me. And I have a similar problem of explaining myself well. Or as has been mentioned before: eloquently.

Well, that's good. I try to never take anything personally on the internet because, well, it's the internet.

Sometimes I just bounce back and forth between ideas in an argument, so naturally people are going to have trouble following my line of thinking if I don't explain where I currently am well enough. #FirstWorldProblems

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I think it should be impossible to break any block by hand. Need to use a tool. From leaves to tools. If you try your fist it should not break at all or even try to. In addition have half hunger bar at beginning of game that has triple loss speed untill you first eat something more then bread. No golden apples or melons. Any fall above three blocks slows you for thirty seconds. Double loss of breath underwater. Make the farmable food grow equivalent to real world times.

Anything else is "cheating".
I think this should be vanilla hardcore, rather than that simple 1-life stuff they put in.

Reactions: Raedo