What do you consider cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Wait a minute Mash. So even if NEI says it is "cheat" mode you are meh on it? Even going so far to say "if it is there in survival it is there for a reason"? Dude seriously. Which side of the fence are you on?

Why did they put it in survival if it wasn't meant to be used in survival?

If it was meant to be used, how can it be considered cheating?

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
No, any comment that has zero objective meaning can be called an opinion.

To make it a fact, you need to add objective meaning.

Yeah, well....Thats just like your opinion, man.
thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
There's no such thing as cheating in SSP Imo. You do what you want and i'll do what I want.

SSP = SURVIVAL SINGLE PLAYER

basically, if you go against the rules of survival, such as spawning items in, that's cheating. Of course that's entirely subjective and do whatever the hell you want, but yeah. My opinion.

I turn mob griefing off, some will call that cheating but I don't care.
I play without gregtech, some will call that cheating and they're idiots.

OPINIONS ALL THE TIME!

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's not really cheating by a lot of people's definitions.

It's obviously intended to be used. Furthermore, it's not an act of dishonesty to use it.

And I can glue feathers to my ass and call myself a bird. And if your definition of a bird extends only so far as "it has feathers" then that's exactly what I would be. But that doesn't make it right or true. There's a lot of things that fall into the grey areas of cheating or not in this game and the boundries of that area can shift based on who your talking to. EE is a perfect example. However spawning items out of thin air in survival mode using a mod in a mode labelled as a cheat mode is not one of these things

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Because you can change it to a different mode. An opition (*le gasp*) that one can change.

It's still within a survival world.

I can change my jetpack from on to off, but turning it on doesn't equate it to cheating simply because I have the option to play an entire game without flying. Modes don't matter within a set game. They were put there for you to choose between. If they were put there, they were intended to be used. If they were intended to be used... how can you call that cheating?[DOUBLEPOST=1365540560][/DOUBLEPOST]
And I can glue feathers to my ass and call myself a bird. And if your definition of a bird extends only so far as "it has feathers" then that's exactly what I would be. But that doesn't make it right or true. There's a lot of things that fall into the grey areas of cheating or not in this game and the boundries of that area can shift based on who your talking to. EE is a perfect example. However spawning items out of thin air in survival mode using a mod in a mode labelled as a cheat mode is not one of these things

Actually, birds have hollow bones. And lay eggs and shit.

If you can do all that, then yeah. You're a god damn bird.

But, I guess what you're saying then... is that cheating tends to be a matter of perspective?
Like I said with one of my very first posts?

I actually happen to agree with Lambert when he said that cheating is based off of what was intended with the game, but I also understand that it's simply an opinion, and can change from person to person.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Minecraft doesn't have a set of rules. Yes there is a general consensus that creative mode/spawning stuff in etc... is cheating. But, like you said, it's completely subjective. If you makes rules for yourself then yea, it's possible to cheat. But in other people's eye, you may not be cheating. Generally, Minecraft is a completely open game. You can do whatever you want. As for me, I used to cheat stuff in when I was tired of looking for stuff. But I don't really do that anymore. It just makes the game boring.

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
It's still within a survival world.

I can change my jetpack from on to off, but turning it on doesn't equate it to cheating simply because I have the option to play an entire game without flying. Modes don't matter within a set game. They were put there for you to choose between. If they were put there, they were intended to be used. If they were intended to be used... how can you call that cheating?.

Ya, and I can use the infinite life CHEAT and the infinite ammo CHEAT in an FPS and its wont be cheating because hey they were placed there to be used. Just like I can use the CHEAT mode of NEI to get what ever I like and hey same difference right?

If you can see the problem with what I just said then there's really no reason to discuss this topic any more. Which is a shame but thus is life

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Woah, Gregtech really got easy after starting to use NEI in "default mode" in accordance to Mash's philosphy :p

It sure did. I don't see why people spend so much time bitching about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1365540895][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ya, and I can use the infinite life CHEAT and the infinite ammo CHEAT in an FPS and its wont be cheating because hey there were placed there to be used. Just like I can use the CHEAT mode of NEI to get what ever I like and hey same difference right?

If you can see the problem with what I just said then there's really no reason to discuss this topic any more. Which is a shame but thus is live

Actually, quick question.

Is it still considered cheating to use Cheat Mode in a creative world?

I mean, if we're calling it cheating simply because it's called 'cheat mode', then that's cheating, isn't it?

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
@DJ: Very solid point. After a while, spwaning things in will be boring and take a lot of elements out of game play. In survival the point is to move along and try to make it from night to night. So spawning in a bed within a minute of game is cheating. So is say full armor with enchants.

Just because something is there doesn't mean it is ment to be used. If you have a hairdryer in your bathroom do you use it while taking a shower/bath?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
@DJ: Very solid point. After a while, spwaning things in will be boring and take a lot of elements out of game play. In survival the point is to move along and try to make it from night to night. So spawning in a bed within a minute of game is cheating. So is say full armor with enchants.

Just because something is there doesn't mean it is ment to be used. If you have a hairdryer in your bathroom do you use it while taking a shower/bath?

That analogy is so terrible.

Firstly, I don't think you can consider electrocuting yourself in the shower 'cheating'.

Secondly, in a game, where everything is put where it is for a specific purpose, then yeah; it's intended to be used at some point. Otherwise, it's called a bug.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Of course RetroGamer. When else am I supposed to use it? :)

You're wrong though. They aren't all there for a specific reason. I can use Furnaces as a building block.

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
This topic is going a little further then I thought. I enjoy hearing everyones thoughts, but just for the record, what I'm asking is what do YOU consider cheating. How would YOU play on YOUR SP world.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
........must not get banned. Must not get banned.

You missed the point. The point was if something is there do you use it. Bah I quit with this.

No, the point was never that. The point was about whether or not something was intended to be used. Not whether or not it should always be used.

Was the hair dryer put there to be looked at, but never touched? Unlikely.

For the record, elfin, I apologize for taking your thread off course.

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
Again Mash if you cant see how going completely outside the hard boundaries of the game is considered cheating just because the cheat mode is there then lets just agree to disagree on this one because we can't even find a place to start this discussion at this point and throwing up strawman arguments like the creative world (when we were obviously talking in the context of survival) is beneath you and I to argue.

But in case that wasn't meant to be a straw man Ill bite. In creative mode NEI is giving you a better UI over something you could do anyway and is therefore inside the bounds and rules of the game mode. If you really wanted to get technical then cheat mode should probably be renamed in creative but that would be confusing from a usability perspective.