What do I do next?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten fully upgraded power armor to my likings, a quarry thats gotten me so many materials I dont even know what to do with it all, I've been to the end and killed the dragon, I've got ore processing down, its not automated but I dont want it automated anyways, what do I do next, I just cannot figure out what I should do or be doing, I am going insane over here trying to think of things to do. Can someone from here please help me out?

I'm on FTB monster 1.1.1

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Plenty to do on monster. Some suggestions:

• Get some magic going: Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, BloodMagic, ...
  • Go to the moon, go to mars (GalactiCraft)
  • Explore Mystcraft worlds and try to create one where you want to make a nice new base

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten fully upgraded power armor to my likings, a quarry thats gotten me so many materials I dont even know what to do with it all, I've been to the end and killed the dragon, I've got ore processing down, its not automated but I dont want it automated anyways, what do I do next, I just cannot figure out what I should do or be doing, I am going insane over here trying to think of things to do. Can someone from here please help me out?

I'm on FTB monster 1.1.1

Stop. Don't go insane yet. Breed bees first, then go insane while doing that.

Then automate them after that.

edit: and @joshie blame that popularity contest thread for all of the summons.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
There is no should, there is only want. As Ive said a million times, you have to invent your own goals. Do some research on what is possible with the mods, and combine them into some kind of overly complex automatic process. For example in my current world Im planning on declaring war on the insects that live in the Erebus dimension. I will build a "Remain in Motion" powered airship equipped with ICBM gun turrets and watch it rain death on the little bastards. if I wanted to get really complicated I could make it into an automatic mining machine, it could drop regeneration bombs and repair the landscape it digs up and go back and forth for eternity. Perhaps find a way to collect all of the mob drops and use them for something.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Build a Tomahak
amidoinitrite?

ac3_tomahawk2_done3.jpg

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@OP:
There is only one rule: do what you want. If you don't know what you want, look at others' worlds for inspiration. Look at fictional worlds, from books, games and movies and take inspiration from them. Is there something that captures you fancy? If you built it, how would it be different to have your personal touch?

Or you can take inspiration from mods. For instance, Thaumcraft has its own style and if your base has many Thaumcraft elements that will make it feel a whole lot different from a, say, RotaryCraft infrastructure.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I appreciate all the suggestions but I want to say something, I am absolutely terrible at making anything look good. I've never been good at building and I just can't seem to get the hang of it, what do I do?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I appreciate all the suggestions but I want to say something, I am absolutely terrible at making anything look good. I've never been good at building and I just can't seem to get the hang of it, what do I do?

As rhn said, practice more. Also perhaps try to copy existing designs or buildings. Google for nice architecture on the web and see if you can perhaps replicate something like that. Not easy but challanges are nice aren't they? :)

Reactions: AlCapella

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is a "building" game, but I just don't find my satisfaction in building stuff, and being creative. Some people take it to an art form, they have that kind of imagination and dedication/motivation to make beautiful things. For me, I've always played this game because I love exploration games, I love survival games, and I love discovery games. This has all of those... and then when those are all "used up" and conquered, when there's nothing more to explore, survive or discover... the only thing left is to build, artistically and creatively. That's usually where I lose my focus and motivation to play, and move on to another modpack.

P.S. Someone said GalactiCraft, but that isn't in Monster. I wish it was, because I've never explored the places in that mod.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
In my worlds at this point, I would start a new world with either a new (more difficult) modpack or else the same modpack, but with self-imposed rules, such as no quarries.

Every world, I try to do things differently, whether it's a new set of mods, new rules, etc.,.

For example, I just finished a MagicFarm2 world where I fully explored Thaumcraft 4, Blood Magic, Bees and Trees (bred lots of species of bees and made some super-trees), and then installed BigReactors and made huge reactor then a Steam Turbine. I got bored after I had already built some big structures, nice-looking bee and tree farms, and had an MFR laser fully-powered for a week or so.

Then, for something *completely* different, I've been on a relatively new world for a week with the Learning GregTech mod-pack. At this point, I'm mostly learning PFAA, but learning GT itself is also a learning curve. No TE3, no BC, no Forestry, no magic mods, just pretty much GT, RC, HQM, PFAA, and a handful of supporting mods.

In a previous world, I limited myself to food power only (ExUt Culinary Generator for power exclusively), no infinite water : just Forestry rain barrels, and no quarry, laser, etc.,. Just bees for resource production.

I've also played a few Ag Skies worlds and I have Crash Landing on my eventual to-do list.

But, that's just me. Everyone has different tastes. My point is to push yourself to do something different.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
@Not_Steve @Not_Steve @Not_Steve I'm summoning you because you like to some people constantly willy nilly when 90% of the time it's unnecessary.

I summon people for blood magic (paddy and Gideon) nectar l because they're way more familiar with it.
I summon people for Reika's mods (paddy pyure and Reika) because the only Reika mod I've used is expanded redstone.
I summon when people talk about RR (kirindave) because he's the creator and I've never played it.
And I summon when people talk about specific FTB packs. Depends on the pack for who I'll summon. That's because I've never used an FTB pack. I'm just here for the community.
If I can't help out and I know someone who can I'll summon them. My area of expertise is mekanism, everything RF related, and this forum. If I don't have the right tools for the job bit I know who does I'll just send them in instead.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

With enough time, anyone can build something that looks cool. Doesnt have to be a work of art but with a investment of time it will get larger and more complex. An underground bunker full of long tunnels and huge rooms is comparatively easy compared to building on the surface because you only have to worry about what the interior looks like.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
With enough time, anyone can build something that looks cool. Doesnt have to be a work of art but with a investment of time it will get larger and more complex. An underground bunker full of long tunnels and huge rooms is comparatively easy compared to building on the surface because you only have to worry about what the interior looks like.

Indeed. I'm not a great builder myself, but I follow a few rules of thumb:

1. Either design it to be big enough so you don't have to expand later
-- or --
Design it to be expandable. The former is usually easier than the latter, design-wise.

If I'm building a tower, for example, the minimum diameter would be 15. That's enough to put a Thaumcraft Essentia jar setup on a single floor, and an Altar on another floor. I then simply add floors to make more space.

2. Use only 2, 3, or 4 colors/textures. Use 1 kind of glass, 1 kind of wall texture, and 1 kind of floor texture. Optional is 1 kind of accent texture.

3. Use glass ! If your base is in a nice-looking area, make sure you can look out.

4. Build floors around 4 high (airspace). 2 high is waaaay too cramped. 3 is slightly too cramped. 4 is plenty "airy" enough. 5 is probably overkill, but OK.

5. If at all possible, use textures and shapes which convey the purpose of the building. For example:

• Magic might use mossy textures, magic wood, and non-industrial glass.
  • Bees / trees / farming should natural wood textures and the main or accent colors should match the bees, trees, or crops
  • Industrial should made of industrial material

These are just *guidelines* to keep it simple. You're probably not going to build award-winning MC structures following these guidelines, but they should serve well as a baseline.