What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
the awesomeness of logistics pipes and magical crops. takes almost nothing to set up a proper system to do autocrafting, crop management, on demand crafting instead of prestored/mass storage/auto level management...

i now do what i call 'multicrops' where, with only 1 planter and harvester, i can have my lp system autocraft the items i need by growing them, and with many different crop types (magical crops provides almost 40 different crops, and you can generate a lot more than 40 items off that list) off the same dirt patch. its a pretty efficient use of space and resources.

and pink generators...what a fantastic way to get power from such a simple resource ;)

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that my entire base, including all the contents of my barrels (I was going to dolly them and then stick them in the strongboxes, but I didn't need to), can fit in 16 reinforced strongboxes. Granted, it was always intended to be a temporary base (the place where I want to build my base would be a terrible starting spot, as there's not much arable land, and I don't want to turn it all into farms and what not anyway), but it's still kind of sad that it will all fit into such a little bit of space.

Also, I found out that massive lava lakes (like 3000-4000 blocks worth) on top of flat bedrock, when pumped dry, make really trippy places to explore. There's all these weird random alcoves, the void fog makes it hard to see far, there's all kinds of particle effects, and tons of resources just sitting there waiting for me to take them. I stumbled across the lake when mining for diamonds, figured I might as well use the lava (I don't use nether lava, but I'm not adverse to using lava from the overworld) and it just happened to finish pumping out while I was waiting for my gas engine to run out of fuel. I figured I might as well take a look, and it was such an interesting place I was half tempted to ditch my initial plans and just build my base on bedrock.

Oh, I also found out that Lycanites mobs has these nasty things that spawn in lava pools that literally throw lava at you...not a nice way to die, I imagine, since the lava will presumably eat all your stuff. Luckily, they don't seem to quite understand corners, allowing them to be killed relatively easily (they also lose health when out of lava) and they drop some pretty nice stuff.

Reactions: jokermatt999

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that my entire base, including all the contents of my barrels (I was going to dolly them and then stick them in the strongboxes, but I didn't need to), can fit in 16 reinforced strongboxes. Granted, it was always intended to be a temporary base (the place where I want to build my base would be a terrible starting spot, as there's not much arable land, and I don't want to turn it all into farms and what not anyway), but it's still kind of sad that it will all fit into such a little bit of space.

I moved my new starter base recently. I did it with style. Like you I used strongboxes to store a bunch of stuff (I used the invar ones because I hadn't teched up very far). I compressed everything I could from cobblestone to redstone as well. I lived close to the coast and my new location was also coastal but it was about really far away. I couldn't compress everything down to fit into my my strongboxes, backpacks and personal inventory, but I had the small boats mod installed. They add huge boats that have there own chests on board, so I loaded up the rest of my stuff and I managed to fit it all in. I dug into my music library to find something cool and powerful and I went on an awesome voyage.

0r6n.png

The big boat on the right is the one I used. It is a fun way of getting around.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I love the small boats mod. I'd have used one myself if I had it installed, but since I'm playing Monster at the moment, I don't. So I'm using a Mariculture speed boat instead, since, like you, I'm moving from somewhere on the water to another location on the water that's quite far away (though admittedly, it wouldn't be that far if I could fly, there's just a couple of mountains between me and my new location that I don't want to deal with.)

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Today I have learned that just because I have the stuff to make an AE setup doesn't mean that I should, and diamond chests work just fine until then. (AG Skies world.)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Just realized that you can use hoppers and ducts to feed and take items from the thaumcraft infusion pedestals, almost cried when I found out it works.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@rhn that's pretty cool. If I'm remembering the config correctly, that will also happen with fences, which leads to some interesting effects.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Sunken village anyone? :p
Drowning...another way to kill Testificates :D

I found out that you can easily brew potions if you put a hopper on top of the brewing stand. Just insert water bottles below and the ingredients in the desired order into the hoper. No babysitting required. Why didn't I think of that before?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I found out that you can easily brew potions if you put a hopper on top of the brewing stand. Just insert water bottles below and the ingredients in the desired order into the hoper. No babysitting required. Why didn't I think of that before?
Probably because that doesn't quite fully automate it. But, checking back in every minute is certainly better than every twenty seconds. Brewing three potions at once is certainly better resource-wise than the MFR Auto-brewer, and your setup with a hopper and maybe an ME Precision Import Bus or something for the finished potions and a couple ME Interfaces for raw ingredients is much prettier than Direwolf20's auto-brewing system with two or three brewing stands and a mess of chests and pipes. I like it.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Probably because that doesn't quite fully automate it. But, checking back in every minute is certainly better than every twenty seconds. Brewing three potions at once is certainly better resource-wise than the MFR Auto-brewer, and your setup with a hopper and maybe an ME Precision Import Bus or something for the finished potions and a couple ME Interfaces for raw ingredients is much prettier than Direwolf20's auto-brewing system with two or three brewing stands and a mess of chests and pipes. I like it.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...and-guide-collection.42664/page-2#post-590299

Reactions: ljfa and Padfoote

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that warded glass - that does not require a nether star - can safely contain a hungry node. As can decorative items made from obsidian.

Oh, and Fibrous taint will not grow up, or over, vanilla glass.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Four blocks per reagent, you say? Hmm... That's twelve separate brewing stands if you want to automate all possible potions and splash potions, or fourteen if you count the new reagents in 1.8. And GeoStrata adds another sixteen...

I suppose you could use a single brewing stand that's always kept stocked with Awkward Potions (from a brewing stand fed directly by export buses, so it doesn't wait for a crafting call to run) and an ME Interface with recipes like "1 ghast tear -> 3 regen potions" to produce all eight secondary potions without worrying about reagents getting mixed up. Redstone, glowstone, fermented spider eyes, and gunpowder would still have to be automated in your fashion.

So that's all the vanilla potions craftable on-demand in no more than a minute and a half (and even than only for things like Splash Potions of Harming II), using only five brewing stands and ME Precision Import Buses, six Precision Export Buses, four ME Interfaces, and a Level Emitter. I think. I'm going to (try to) build this right now...
Now I've finally got an excuse to buut up MC 1.7.10 and mess with AE2!
I found out that warded glass - that does not require a nether star - can safely contain a hungry node. As can decorative items made from obsidian.

Oh, and Fibrous taint will not grow up, or over, vanilla glass.
Are you on TC 4.0? Because in 4.1, at least, warded glass requires a Focus of Warding on your wand or staff, which requires a nether star.

Also, did you try obsidian microblocks? Containing a hungry node while still being able to feed it and draw aspects from it could be extremely useful.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
What?! Warded glass now requires a focus of warding? When did that happen. I was sure there was a non focus recipe for it in my thaumanomicon. That teaches me for doing my experimental build in creative mode (I prototype things like this in creative before building them in my actual world).

I also don't use FMP, so havn't tried microblocks. But a wand recharging pedestal does not need LOS to draw viz so my current containment chamber has a water channel that carries items to a hole in the top to be dropped in.

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that trying to run shaders and the Soartex Fanver with support for mods in a 180+ modpack will max out a GTX 660 2GB SuperClocked:
3ea36a9aed2be08755e7144f72bec747.png
o_O

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
What?! Warded glass now requires a focus of warding? When did that happen. I was sure there was a non focus recipe for it in my thaumanomicon. That teaches me for doing my experimental build in creative mode (I prototype things like this in creative before building them in my actual world).

I also don't use FMP, so havn't tried microblocks. But a wand recharging pedestal does not need LOS to draw viz so my current containment chamber has a water channel that carries items to a hole in the top to be dropped in.
I'm about 90% sure that it was TC 4.1 in MC 1.7.2 that removed the old warded glass and stone blocks in favor of a want focus that can turn nearly any block that's not a tile entity into an indestructible block that looks exactly the same. So instead of fancy almost-transparent warded glass with connected textures, you can have vanilla glass or TiCo clear glass or ExtraUtils ethereal glass (which you don't need to un-ward and break to walk through- very handy for witherproof doorways) that, with a little vis and a few smacks from a wand, becomes as indestructible as its counterpart in TC3 and TC 4.0. The downside, of course, is that the warding focus is crafted by infusing a nether star with some other stuff.

So, if you're on MC 1.6.4 now (which I assume you are), you'll need to fix your containment chamber after you update.

Also, what sort of "decorative items made from obsidian" are you using?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The warded stone blocks definitely went. But the connected texture warded glass remains in creative mode and I am so sure also exists in the thaumanomicon as a craftable thing, separate to the warding done via the warding focus.

The decorative items I am using are the obsidian tiles and totem pieces Thaumcraft uses to create decorate sininster nodes in the world.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
You can repair Rotarycraft gearboxes (didnt know u could)

You can put a full stack (16) of tier 2 upgrades in a magnetizing unit (thought only 1 at a time would work ...)

Breaking a spawner with a bedrock pickaxe spawns 20+ mobs. ie. a zombie spawner will spawn 20+ zombies when broken with bedrock pickaxe (must have silk touch).

Bedrock axe has 96 Instrumentum aspect !!

Reactions: Pyure