What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Don't let your piles run empty ... the auto-crafting (at least, used to) fails at that point.
Actually, it seems to run well dry, now. It doesn't round robin the inputs, so multiple of the same input (ie: graphite for TRISO pellets) will require multiple stacks to get going. It seems the worktable can be automated in the same manner, too.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
The Ender-Thermic Pump from Extra Utilities includes it's own chunk loader! Pretty neat all-in-one solution for pumping lava, we're busy turning massive lakes of lava into parking lots - the pump replaces each lava block extracted with a stone block.

I also discovered that Railcraft Steel Tanks will _not_ accept any liquid input in the center bottom valve. [Yeah, I know; the wiki page does say input in the sides or top...] Took me almost an hour and much cussing, trying different combinations of Liquiducts and servos before I re-routed the ducts up to a top valve. Not quite as sanitary a layout as I was hoping for (the tank is in our Nether base directly above the lava pumping station) but it's now holding 4800 buckets of lovely flowing red stuff to feed a bank of magmatic dynamos.

And finally, the flintlock musket from Flaxbeard's Steampowered mod pack is a one-shot ghast killer. Cheap, effective, and makes construction projects in the Nether so much easier. It's a bit slow to load and fire, but I'm not even halfway through the first stack of ammo I made for it. (Also, Flaxbeard's exo-suit with brass plates, for fire resistance!)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I have rediscovered my love for the HTGR from ReactorCraft. Such a simple little thing: get a big enough supply of CO2, some water, and a few other odds and ends, and you can get a...rather large amount of RF out of the deal. It took some building, but I got this bugger raking in around 200k RF/t. I'll be set on power for quite some time, methinks. Now, on to the next project: thorium!

Oh, for those wondering, my setup is thus:

Code:
  SSS
 SGGGS
SGCCCGS
SGCGCGS
SGCCCGS
 SGGGS
  SSS
S = Steel block
G = CO2 heater
C = Pebble bed reactor core

Run that 3 deep, hook it up to 8 heat exchangers, and you'll be running your turbine at a small, but appreciable surplus of steam. I dunno if such a thing is safe for ammonia, never really touched the stuff, but my turbine's sitting pretty, givin me plenty of juice to keep going for days.

Reactions: Pyure

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm not sure if this counts as its technically there in the Wiki, but I didn't discover it until now :p so:

Progressive Automation machines can have their output set to input/output ("Normal" mode) using a PA Wrench, which allows great interaction between Project:Red pipes for inserting and extracting from the same point!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not sure if this counts as its technically there in the Wiki, but I didn't discover it until now :p so:

Progressive Automation machines can have their output set to input/output ("Normal" mode) using a PA Wrench, which allows great interaction between Project:Red pipes for inserting and extracting from the same point!
What's the default mode? I was tinkering with a PA "Killer" last night and couldn't get an extra utilities2 transfer node to pull from one. I couldn't decide if it was PA, or just XU2 being derpy in its early-ish stages.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
What's the default mode? I was tinkering with a PA "Killer" last night and couldn't get an extra utilities2 transfer node to pull from one. I couldn't decide if it was PA, or just XU2 being derpy in its early-ish stages.
The default mode I believe is "Output", which outputs only. That said, this was in 1.7.10, so I don't know whether there are any issues or whether it works a bit differently with 1.8-1.10 versions? In theory it SHOULD be able to pull though... does the killer have a side that looks like a circle? That's usually the default output side. One thing that might be worth trying is putting a chest next to that face and seeing if it autooutputs into there.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The default mode I believe is "Output", which outputs only. That said, this was in 1.7.10, so I don't know whether there are any issues or whether it works a bit differently with 1.8-1.10 versions? In theory it SHOULD be able to pull though... does the killer have a side that looks like a circle? That's usually the default output side. One thing that might be worth trying is putting a chest next to that face and seeing if it autooutputs into there.
Thx, will tinker tonight :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Found out that ocean monuments don't need oceans for the 5 minute debuff to trigger. Had just started a new game on unstable. Was exploring below the monument when a skeleton started attack. Was trying to dig up a dirt block when the debuff hit. Noticed how little effect my punching the dirt block was having. Went looking for a different way out.
http://imgur.com/VNgANCv
(customized" World Type)
{"coordinateScale":684.412,"heightScale":684.412,"lowerLimitScale":512.0,"upperLimitScale":512.0,"depthNoiseScaleX":200.0,"depthNoiseScaleZ":200.0,"depthNoiseScaleExponent":0.5,"mainNoiseScaleX":80.0,"mainNoiseScaleY":160.0,"mainNoiseScaleZ":80.0,"baseSize":8.5,"stretchY":12.0,"biomeDepthWeight":1.0,"biomeDepthOffset":0.0,"biomeScaleWeight":1.0,"biomeScaleOffset":0.0,"seaLevel":1,"useCaves":true,"useDungeons":true,"dungeonChance":8,"useStrongholds":true,"useVillages":true,"useMineShafts":true,"useTemples":true,"useMonuments":true,"useRavines":true,"useWaterLakes":true,"waterLakeChance":4,"useLavaLakes":false,"lavaLakeChance":80,"useLavaOceans":false,"fixedBiome":-1,"biomeSize":5,"riverSize":1,"dirtSize":33,"dirtCount":10,"dirtMinHeight":0,"dirtMaxHeight":256,"gravelSize":33,"gravelCount":8,"gravelMinHeight":0,"gravelMaxHeight":256,"graniteSize":33,"graniteCount":10,"graniteMinHeight":0,"graniteMaxHeight":255,"dioriteSize":33,"dioriteCount":10,"dioriteMinHeight":0,"dioriteMaxHeight":255,"andesiteSize":33,"andesiteCount":10,"andesiteMinHeight":0,"andesiteMaxHeight":255,"coalSize":17,"coalCount":20,"coalMinHeight":0,"coalMaxHeight":255,"ironSize":9,"ironCount":24,"ironMinHeight":0,"ironMaxHeight":255,"goldSize":9,"goldCount":8,"goldMinHeight":0,"goldMaxHeight":255,"redstoneSize":8,"redstoneCount":32,"redstoneMinHeight":0,"redstoneMaxHeight":255,"diamondSize":8,"diamondCount":8,"diamondMinHeight":0,"diamondMaxHeight":255,"lapisSize":7,"lapisCount":8,"lapisCenterHeight":16,"lapisSpread":255}

E

eneKusho

Found out that using the ender quarry in the Nether is... seriously... insane...
It took me like 2-3 hours to get ~10 stacks of copper from an ender quarry in the overworld, but in the Nether I currently have 8 stacks and it's only been ~30-45 minutes.. plus the amount of sulfur, coal and redstone... dude, I love this.

Reactions: Mindfeak926

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Laughed so hard I had to remember to breathe.

from Minecraft official wiki...
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft

Plugin API
Main article: Plugin API
Notch has always planned to add a plugin API, and announced official plans to support one in the game on April 26, 2011. As of yet it has not been implemented. In a post before the release of Minecraft 1.0, Notch said that the plugin API would be coming along with a new launcher.[52]

When Jeb became head of Minecraft's development in December 2011, he stated that the plugin API would be his top priority, as "there is no way in hell I will be able to add as much content as the whole internet can do". He said that they were talking to existing mod developers such as Bukkit, Minecraft Forge, and Minecraft Coder Pack.[53]

Top Priority... 5 years later...
This is going in the sig...

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Polar bears drop fish?

I understand that bears eat fish, but where are they carrying the raw, uneaten fish?

... Given the number of times you have to hit them, I can understand that their skin is ruined and unusable :)

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Polar bears drop fish?

I understand that bears eat fish, but where are they carrying the raw, uneaten fish?

... Given the number of times you have to hit them, I can understand that their skin is ruined and unusable :)
They just swallowed the fish whole.
*mic drop

Sent from a mystical device from North of the 49th

st753m

Jul 29, 2019
I just found out that the harvestcraft gardens in Infinity Evolved can be picked up by right clicking them. No more having to wait 'till I can afford to make enough backpacks and bags of holding to store all the veggies before I can start collecting them. Apparently, they also slowly spread like mushrooms.

Reactions: jdog1408

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
I just found out that the harvestcraft gardens in Infinity Evolved can be picked up by right clicking them. No more having to wait 'till I can afford to make enough backpacks and bags of holding to store all the veggies before I can start collecting them. Apparently, they also slowly spread like mushrooms.

You can also replant them somewhere closer to your base or farm area. I'm not sure of the logic they use to spread, but I've seen some slow increase in the number of gardens over time - we're talking weeks of in-game time.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if that growth can be accelerated...it'd be kind of a cheap way to get lots of veggies in a short amount of time, if you could.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if that growth can be accelerated...it'd be kind of a cheap way to get lots of veggies in a short amount of time, if you could.
I'd try the watering can, not sure it would work because it goes off of specific block ticks, then again it does make weeds spread more quickly in Agricraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
You can use blood from biomes o'plenty as water for the purpose of irrigating farmland.

And you can pick it up and place it with buckets in the nether.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Railcraft's abyssal stone geodes can also spawn fully underground.

2016-09-10_11.47.06.png

They also vanish rather quickly after I find one as scraping it off the sea floor is a pain.