Werewolf organisation

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Fun!

I take it when you become insane, you get a random insanity role (so that you can't game future games with knowledge of a specific role-insanity-feature)?
That was one possibility, and may actually be better than how I did it. I have a role of Doctor, and then I have Insane Doctor. Abilities and potentially Win Conditions are different between the two.

I was kinda trying to make it so that the insane role sort of followed on from the sane role, but that does impact the replayability of it. The problem I had is that using a generic insane role e.g. megalomania, schizophrenia etc. could potentially offend people who suffer from or work with that mental illness. Any attempt to characterise one of these conditions in a role would invariably be a crude caricature of a complex condition. I'm personally uncomfortable with doing that - mental illness is poorly understood as it is, and I'd rather not add to some of the sweeping generalisations.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm actually surprised and pleased with the depth of your consideration and empathy here, man. Good argument, and I agree: don't mess with sensitivities.

For what its worth, it actually opens the door to a completely ungeneralized (and safer) approach using specific (unnamed) symptoms.

What if instead of named mental illnesses, you picked up untitled attributes, which are known as a pool beforehand, but randomly applied as needed?

"Your sanity has dropped remarkably today:"
"You have acquired a tendancy to "borrow" things that do not belong to you" {acquire items if you have them in the game}
or "You tend to forget the identities of those you should know." {random chance of your vote being reassigned to another player}
or "Sometimes you're pretty sure someone's talking to you but nobody is there." {random chance of a vote before yours determining your vote}
or "After careful consideration, you determined today that you may, in fact, be God." {random chance of declaring your role the next morning}
or "It is becoming increasingly clear that everyone is out to get you." {Cannot vote for someone that anyone else votes for.}

I could draft tons of these if desired :p

Edit: worth pointing out that this would give you flexible sanity levels. A person could pick up a lot of these attributes through out the game, instead of a single on-off switch.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
The way I've set it up is more that of a breaking point, where rational people are pushed to extreme measures as a result of despair, fear, and mistrust, with a little malevolent influence thrown in.

I'm also trying to implement this without negatively impacting the player's ability to influence the game. I had an early idea for a paranoid symptom where they were safe at night, but couldn't talk during the day. Admittedly that's an extreme case, and I may have gone too far the other way.

How much control/lack of control do people think is workable from a player's point of view?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That paranoia symptom is cool. If you really felt you wanted to scale back the extreme, you could just make it so they could only have X comments per day, or could only speak inside of an X minute window.

I don't understand your control question.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, as a player you have control over how you vote, how you act, and how you use your abilities. How much of that control would you be willing to lose, given that I'm aiming for insanity to come into play from about N2 and you could potentially survive to the end under your madness conditions?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Basically, as a player you have control over how you vote, how you act, and how you use your abilities. How much of that control would you be willing to lose, given that I'm aiming for insanity to come into play from about N2 and you could potentially survive to the end under your madness conditions?

50%? That's the point of the game, so if I sign up, I know what I'm signing up for.

Even if you made it so I'm not allowed to vote or participate in the main-thread discussions, you could still stipulate that I'm allowed to participate in private convos. So I wouldn't be losing total control.

C

chbachman

I can do a game. I have a good idea. It's a secret though. The mysterious game.

Last edited by a moderator:

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone teach me about werewolf I want to try it out

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
That didn't help :( I know there is voting and stuff but I don't know the end goal or how to achieve it... Or what roles mean

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.