Weekly News Issue #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, where is it? At first I thought it was just going to be a few days late. I was going to comment saying how each week's news was going to come out a day later than the week before it, but it still hasn't come out. Now it's seeming like they've abandoned the concept entirely. Don't get me wrong, they'll probably put one out next week. They may even say something like there wasn't enough news to bother with one this week, and that they will skip a week every so often for that reason. Of course, then they will start to skip them more and more often, until they only happen once in a blue moon like the old news updates. You see, it's kind of like an exercise routine. If you keep with the schedule, then it'll get easier and easier to stick with it as time goes on. However, if you start skipping sessions here and there, then eventually the whole thing will fall apart and you'll find that you aren't exercising anymore.

Now, it's understandable that they can't always be regular with modpack or launcher updates, since those take time and can be hard to give an accurate ETA for. Weekly news updates, on the other hand, are easy to make. It's hard to imagine a week going by without at least some small bit of new information to say. Even if nothing noteworthy happens, they can always say something like "everyone's been working hard and definite progress towards (insert thing here) has been made, but we still have a ways to go". Even a weekly news update saying that nothing has changed is better than no weekly news update at all. Not only will it let the players know that the ftb team are sticking with the weekly news updates they promised, but it will also help them keep with the routine, so it's less likely that they'll revert to the old frequency of news updates.

Reactions: Geometry

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, where is it? At first I thought it was just going to be a few days late. I was going to comment saying how each week's news was going to come out a day later than the week before it, but it still hasn't come out. Now it's seeming like they've abandoned the concept entirely. Don't get me wrong, they'll probably put one out next week. They may even say something like there wasn't enough news to bother with one this week, and that they will skip a week every so often for that reason. Of course, then they will start to skip them more and more often, until they only happen once in a blue moon like the old news updates. You see, it's kind of like an exercise routine. If you keep with the schedule, then it'll get easier and easier to stick with it as time goes on. However, if you start skipping sessions here and there, then eventually the whole thing will fall apart and you'll find that you aren't exercising anymore.

Now, it's understandable that they can't always be regular with modpack or launcher updates, since those take time and can be hard to give an accurate ETA for. Weekly news updates, on the other hand, are easy to make. It's hard to imagine a week going by without at least some small bit of new information to say. Even if nothing noteworthy happens, they can always say something like "everyone's been working hard and definite progress towards (insert thing here) has been made, but we still have a ways to go". Even a weekly news update saying that nothing has changed is better than no weekly news update at all. Not only will it let the players know that the ftb team are sticking with the weekly news updates they promised, but it will also help them keep with the routine, so it's less likely that they'll revert to the old frequency of news updates.
So you're saying that they should at least say "Nothing's even slightly changed since last week, keep waiting please"?

I kind of agree :p
I know Slow's been kinda busy doing something with his computer (think he had to wipe it due to a virus?) so perhaps he got sidetracked.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
perhaps a set day for whenever the weekly news gets released and a twitter announcement incase there's no weekly news through the FTB twitter

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just excited for the next weekly news issue particularly due to my hope that the Monster pack will be transitioning into the beta stable stage. It feels like years waiting for the monster pack to become stable, but I'm holding on. I just hope that mod developers don't start making 1.7 mods now, just as we're about to get a 1.6 pack going.

Rafael F.D. Freitas

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just excited for the next weekly news issue particularly due to my hope that the Monster pack will be transitioning into the beta stable stage. It feels like years waiting for the monster pack to become stable, but I'm holding on. I just hope that mod developers don't start making 1.7 mods now, just as we're about to get a 1.6 pack going.
I like to think that this week news issue is late because they need just a little bit of time to say that the monster pack is ready.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

From experience I know that the "Nothing new to report" report is worse than saying nothing at all. I've seen the approach taken with subscription MMOs... All it accomplished was to draw out the closet paranoids who figure the company had gone into receivership and the reports were there to keep the yokels happy and paying.

In the most recent case the silence was due to a lawsuit amongst partners (Turbine vs. Atari, for the curious) that eventually resulted in WoTC/Hasbro removing all of Atari's "electronic licensing for the "Dungeons & Dragons" property (they also tried to sell D&D rights to Hasbro's largest Asian competitor... See Hasbro vs. Atari), Turbine being purchased by Warner Bros, and Turbine getting direct access to WotC developers.

So far it's been a good result. There are still complainers, though... Never get rid of those.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
From experience I know that the "Nothing new to report" report is worse than saying nothing at all. I've seen the approach taken with subscription MMOs... All it accomplished was to draw out the closet paranoids who figure the company had gone into receivership and the reports were there to keep the yokels happy and paying.

In the most recent case the silence was due to a lawsuit amongst partners (Turbine vs. Atari, for the curious) that eventually resulted in WoTC/Hasbro removing all of Atari's "electronic licensing for the "Dungeons & Dragons" property (they also tried to sell D&D rights to Hasbro's largest Asian competitor... See Hasbro vs. Atari), Turbine being purchased by Warner Bros, and Turbine getting direct access to WotC developers.

So far it's been a good result. There are still complainers, though... Never get rid of those.
I don't think that will be an issue given that the FTB team is providing a free service. I also believe that "Nothing new to report" is something they would rarely have to say. This week, for example, I know there have been a few updates and such that could be mentioned. Besides, even if they ever did have to say that there was "Nothing new to report" it wouldn't be an emotionless, legally arranged waste of words like some corporation would put out. Thought would be put into it. They would either apologize, say that while nothing noteworthy happened that week updates would happen soon, or some other such comforting, reassuring thing that shows they care.

In addition to that, part of the reason I believe they should make sure to put out a news update every week is like I've already said: so they can keep with the routine. I would be a shame if the weekly news updates they promised fell apart and started happening at the same frequency as in the past. People would start to lose faith again.

Bigdog

Jul 29, 2019
All slow has to say is there has been this update and that update and that the FTB map is coming along smoothly hehe can't forget the work hes doing on the map right. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.