Ways you play your game that people think is crazy.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jacobblue34

Jul 29, 2019
Any of you out there ever do things in game that people think is downright absurd? Or you just have a certain habit that makes your gameplay different? Well, you have come to the right place. This thread is for posting strange gameplay ideas that maybe we can all learn from. Anyways Thanks!

Jacobblue34

Jul 29, 2019
As thread creator I thought I should share my strange gameplay method.

This time around I took a pledge to not do anything I had done on any other world before. That meant no macerators, IC2 machines, solars, pretty much any normal power source or automation technique. So far it has greatly enhanced the gameplay and makes me think more than the other times I have played. It didnt get me to end game in a week but It has taught me a lot and made the game more enjoyable than something like "build solar, throw on ground, instant power!" Anyways, maybe that will inspire you to do something similar.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
I use IC2...

I do not use rp2 quarries (the same people who got EE nerfed and in a position where it looks abandoned, use them, but they cried about EE being OP *rolleyes*).

I do not use turtles (reason: Same as above, they cost too little and do way too much).

I do not use sorting systems.

Just my opinions, you may agree or disagree, that is your right.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I use IC2...

I do not use rp2 quarries (the same people who got EE nerfed and in a position where it looks abandoned, use them, but they cried about EE being OP *rolleyes*).

I do not use turtles (reason: Same as above, they cost too little and do way too much).

Same here, but I don't use Quarries or Turtles mainly because I don't like coding (I know turtles are awesome, I JUST DON'T LIKE THEM!) and IDK how to make a frame quarry. :p

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...

Pillar up to 253 high, jump off and try to stop my fall with a bucket of water placed below me with a super well timed right click.
Chop down a tree and leave the stump. Just so I can get that feel of a logging company came through here and did a number on the environment.
Place two signs back to back. Sign 1 "See other sign for rest of message", Sign 2, "The other sign is lazy and expects me to do all the work"
Make double doors and put sign, "Coming soon, fully automated doors" and never do the upgrade.
Build house out of sand. Propping up roof with rows of blank signs supporting sand.
Find a zombie holding something indicating it's one of those special zombies that can pick up stuff and wont despawn. Trap him in a house in a 1x1 room with a window, put sign below window, "Patient Zero"

But if you mean play style ... naa, i'm pretty normal, i punch wood all night long and sleep all day.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I/we rent a server so that 2 of us that play in the same house at the same time can do so easily, instead of using a LAN game.

I have a whole room of chests surrounded by fabricators just to deal with tiny dusts automatically

I have two different wheat farms. One run by a Steve's cart, and one which is part of a multi-item farm, managed by golems.

I play on a 24" widescreen monitor, but leave the MC window at the default size. (Fullscreen makes me seasick somehow, and it's handy for looking up wikis).

I don't number-crunch to get the best out of everything (never have been a min/maxer).

I have managed to run out of apatite somehow. (I think this actually relates to the server being created before the apatite veins were bumped up in volume, and so that which I've previously mined isn't so plentiful).

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
According to my Minecraft-playing friends, using mods at all. I convinced them to try a tekkit server with me once. They got scared away by the sheer "YE GODS WHAT ARE ALL THESE ITEMS" aspect of it all. Naturally, they aren't even considering joining me for FtB.

Reactions: Freakscar

tanefa99

Jul 29, 2019
At my base I have a small patch of ground replaced with planks, and that's home. Chests bordering the planks, machines on a nearby hill (so that they can't blow up my chests, been there before >.<). Every world I do this, every world I plan on building a house around me, but I just never do lol. 100% prone to the outside worlds' terrors haha

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I just do things oddly.

I point you to the crazy stuff I like doing with BT as a primary power system.

Or how I'm pretty much a Luddite on the server I play on because I want to get 100% thaum research as vanilla as possible.

Also people think I'm a bit silly for refusing to use quarries.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
I just do things oddly.

I point you to the crazy stuff I like doing with BT as a primary power system.

Or how I'm pretty much a Luddite on the server I play on because I want to get 100% thaum research as vanilla as possible.

Also people think I'm a bit silly for refusing to use quarries.
Oh shoop

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I never do any of the well-known, most efficient, seen everywhere methods of doing things. Even if it's the most efficient, too many of them rely on some mods or cross-mod interactions breaking the balance. "Balance" here being what I want to be my game's effort-to-gain ratio. Among other things I never use are: BC quarries, any turtle programs I don't write myself (builtins and code from the web), any kind of long-range teleportation (ender chests, tesseracts, mystcraft portals), mass fabricator (or matter fabricator), solar panels of any kind, Steve's cart tree farms, any metal- or oil-producing bees, nether lava pumping, centrifuging lava into metals, barrel sorting systems, soul shards (disabled on my server anyway), box-shaped rooms with a bunch of random machinery within, the entirety of Applied Energistics, and more...

I also never look up tutorials or guides on anything (except for reading the mods' wikis), I invent designs on my own and deliberately try to be different from the few things I already saw in someone else's videos. For me most of the fun is in coming up with a sophisticated machine and perfecting it down to be the fastest, most efficient, most compact possible. Not in building block by block something that somebody else did.

I keep a spreadsheet of all kinds of numbers for quick reference - fuel values in different generators, GregTech electrolyzer/centrifuge recipes, boiler size to fuel efficiency to heatup time to amount of fuel required to heat up, mob health and height to drop them to get them to 1-hit, and much more.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Well, of course. Everything's better with sonic screwdrivers. Especially TC Golems with a Bowtie and a Fez.

Oh god, I just had an idea.
Part 1: Wooden golems show the item they are carrying
Part 2: If you fill a wooden golem's chest, they just stand near it doing nothing.
Part 3: Diamond chests are blue
THUS
I can give a wooden golem a fez, bowtie and sonic screwdriver, then put him next to the blue box that is bigger on the inside

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
Yes, yes, yes
This must happen

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Only using a Steve's Cart for mining duties. Right now I'm manually giving it rails and stuff (I'm still very early in the game), but I'm working on an automatic rail production line so it can mine automatically on its own.

I've yet to come up with a good way of making it dig new branches or anything, but the plan is to have several carts digging in a good number of tunnels and if possible have them make their own branches (though I doubt I'll be able to do that, so I'll probably create a bunch of branches and have them cycle through those). I don't know if the programmable carts will come back any time soon, but they might be able to do some of the things I'd like to do.

But first I'm going to setup a good'ol Biomass production line for my energy needs, with potentially some Railcraft stuff to move things around :D

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
First off I always start on Peaceful, nowadays I enter the world and switch into creative. I do so for a very simple reason; I travel a lot when starting off usually, because I'm looking for a couple things. I travel looking for a spot to build a home, near a village(but not in it, due to "YE GODS, THESE UGLY BEASTS ALL OPEN AND CLOSE THEIR DOORS AT THE SAME TIME, MY EARS ARE BLEEDING" happening one time too many), with ample food supplies, and enough materials to build a decent home. Once I find the location I want to build in, I turn off creative and start gathering resources, usually just building a crap shack at first, but sometimes making a multi-story house complete with basic machines and a interior farm for all of my crops(now it's even easier with Xywhatever Soil). After I'm situated and have a home, I turn it onto normal difficulty.
I plan on setting up a bee farm for all materials one day, where I don't need to mine anything and can just get it from Bees. And then I simply won't mine anymore. Or at least, not on any decent scale.

Also, I don't like Quarries, or RP2 Quarries, or really even IC2 Miners(though at least the miner has low impact and can fill the hole back in after I've mined) and prefer to mine by hand. Turtles are weird and have to be programed, and that's about it. I also have never built a sorting system. I never have found a ample reason to do so with the amount of resources I collect mining by hand. But I might soon. I'm going to be trying to get into AE, which kind of counts.(more of a automation and storage system really, but there is sorting involved with automation, sorting what resources go where, what devices to turn on when I want to produce Resource X, and when to have what parts active, and of course, dealing with the input I'll get from a IC2 Miner when I set one one up)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
This made me LOL so hard. Ty!!
My work is done.

But yeah, I liked the world generation for Minecraft more before biomes. But they added a neat mechanic for mods to tap into, which is good. I just wish the Extreme Hills Biome didn't exist because I want the old style world generation as well as Biomes and Extreme Hills was meant to sort of replace the old wacky world gen which many loved.

But, time marches on, and those who don't progress with it get left behind and forgotten. I miss my old Nether Bunker. I built it on a winter world, and wired it with a TNT killswitch to flood the room(and hopefully close the portal as well and drown whatever came through). It also served as a Hot Tub.(I had a pool on top and it didn't freeze despite the cold, so I pretended it was a hot tub. Funny how RPing made Minecraft more fun back in those days)

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Rping can always happen. If I am on a server I tend to go to a hill or mountain and dig into it. I still need to make a Suikoden style castle. Ahh maybe V or I as IV is a ship as II and III are redone castles.