Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
This is news why haven't we heard this before? The emerald kitty needs to give us more inside scoops.

Read twitter... and reddit.. and hang out in public irc rooms .. in other words stalk mod devs .. just not in a creepy way.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I wait for someone else, usually my girlfriend, to actually play with a vanilla update before I even consider using it. Its why I'm staying the hell away from 1.7 vanilla: its got a shitty little bug in it that causes Minecraft to be unkillable (after having fucking crashed, naturally), even by Task Manager. That is a problem for me. I am this machine's admin, its god. Being told I can't kill a process would be unhealthy...for the entire star system around me.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I wait for someone else, usually my girlfriend, to actually play with a vanilla update before I even consider using it. Its why I'm staying the hell away from 1.7 vanilla: its got a shitty little bug in it that causes Minecraft to be unkillable (after having fucking crashed, naturally), even by Task Manager. That is a problem for me. I am this machine's admin, its god. Being told I can't kill a process would be unhealthy...for the entire star system around me.
I just end javaw.exe in taskmanager. Works every time. Also, in mah siggy now.
I read twitter and reddit for vanilla updates. :p
Wait, people still care about vanilla updates?

Reactions: Padfoote

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I use multiMC. There's a 'kill minecraft' button on the console. One of the most useful things it adds.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a bit surprised to see this thread was started in late April and yet I only noticed the "new" News item in FTB launcher today? I play every day, lol, so I'm either blind or this did just get posted to the launcher recently.

Anyhow, just wanted to pass along that I cannot read the News items thru the FTB launcher. The words get cut off on the right side of the page, in other words, I need a "word wrap" function to see all the text and there isn't one. I cannot maximize the FTB launcher to my full screen size (2560x1600), it sits in its own little box of about 800x600 and won't go any larger for me.

I think I also read the FTB launcher is changing to Curse or something, very shortly? So I guess my report here won't matter much. So be it. Back to my Monster world!

P.S. Edit - thanks to all the FTB folks for doing what you do, making it easy for those of us who just like to play. :)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

I care about vMC updates... Even though I don't consider myself more than a "hobby" programmer (I prefer working at the machine code level to accomplish hardware oriented goals) I like learning about the internal workings of MC that are going to make things interesting in the future.

Such improvements include named blockIDs in 1.7 (very few if any blockID conflicts in he future), reworked storage and data functions in 1.8 and the ability to rename my player sometime after 1.8.

[Edit] Also, 1.8, if still on track, is supposed to create a separate thread for each dimension, which should help with lag.

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

She does just that, it doesn't work. Java, and by extension Minecraft and everything it takes up, refuses to freaking die. She actually has to reboot her machine whenever it happens...or have 2GB of memory be taken up doing great fuck all.

I occasionally check vanilla updates. Mostly so I know what new problems to expect when mods update to that version.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Actually a mod made it through again so,... The sticky slime blocks gived a little bit of automation. I even tried to build a tnt free quarry, but its self destructed.
1.8 will be big one.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else have a massive FPS drop in 1.7 and above, I play monster and get a good 600 fps now when i set it to "max fps" when i switch to 1.7 though, i sometimes get frame drops almost down to 20 fps when i play on servers and stuff. W...T...F.
I get about 100 in heavily modded 1.6 SSP, and about 20 in Vanilla 1.7 SMP.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...600 FPS? Are you sure you don't mean 60? Even if you happen to have a screen with a 120 Hz refresh rate, that means that the graphics output is outpacing the refresh rate by a factor of 5, which is a tad absurd. Not to mention absolutely pointless. But, this isn't the thread to discuss why FPS caps exist...I think.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...600 FPS? Are you sure you don't mean 60? Even if you happen to have a screen with a 120 Hz refresh rate, that means that the graphics output is outpacing the refresh rate by a factor of 5, which is a tad absurd. Not to mention absolutely pointless. But, this isn't the thread to discuss why FPS caps exist...I think.
He does mean 600

Reactions: SkeletonPunk

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
yep i mean 600

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking
Status
Not open for further replies.