Universal Electricity vs IC2 pros & cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps drag from the air is causing undue friction? Sounds like you just cobble the wings together with a crude hammer and an anvil made out of cobble...
I doubt the mod maker had anything like that in mind; it seems like the power suit generates heat based on the horizontal distance you are moving and doesn't care what the mode of transportation is.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Though, if you are sufficiently teched, you could just install a heat sink (maxed setting) and a cooling system. Will work out dang well unless you are spamming Railgun or Lightning Summoner.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Speaking of wings... do those things still generate heat when you use them? I found it rather dumb that I couldn't glide across a desert without overheating.
Do you have a kinetic generator installed? If so, that is probably what is causing the heat.

Reactions: AlanEsh

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, as far as I know, they only cost power to use. Nope, had my night vision still on. Gliderwings are free in Unleashed at least.

@SynfulChoat: If you don't use IC2, why does it matter how you have to build for them?

Last edited:

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
@SynfulChaot: If you don't use IC2, why does it matter how you have to build for them?

Because I really do want to use IC2 again. It was the first tech mod I really used and I do want to check out some of the new machines/mechanics. The explosion mechanic was more than a bit irritating before, but I could put up with it, if only barely. The only times it was truly bad was needing to cut power so I could place a machine and then give it transformer upgrades so it didn't blow. Had to recreate four machines last time I made that mistake, a total resource and time-sink for such a small mistake. Not what I would call good design.

Now with the power change, though, a single added power gen could blow your entire network. Without such devices/mechanics as resistors, fuses, and circuit breakers, the current E-net system makes explosion far more likely and potentially destructive. You're no longer able to design as securely and safely with unlimited expandability of power sources, at least not without constant revamps to your system.

And then you compare it to all the other tech mods, none of which require such complex setups to do the same stuff. I can design smaller, neater, and cleaner with them than I can with IC2. That being said I really do want to enjoy IC2 again, but unless some of the mechanics change a bit or some new mitigating mechanics get added then I'll likely only run as little IC2 as possible.

Reactions: immibis

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. I hadn't heard about that. Explains a bit. Though frankly, the only thing I've used IC2 for lately is actually to run my electrical engine to provide starter MJ.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
I have to admit that I haven't played any IC2 since Tekkit Lite back in 1.4.7. I've missed the jetpacks and being able to enchant drills, and a few of the vanilla item recipes from time to time, but I've adjusted pretty well to no IC2.

Reactions: AlanEsh

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, it can seem a bit daunting at first; learning to live without a mod as big as IC2, but Mekanism seems to be filling in the gaps there bit by bit, its even got its own, superior form of automining in the latest versions.

Only real reason I use IC2 anymore is to have an overclocked macerator to make obsidian dust for Mekanism, as the macerator gives you 4 dust per block whereas a fully-extended processing line for Mekanism gives you two dust per block. I'm just a sucker for efficiency, sometimes, lol. That, and I can now happily power my IC2 machines directly with universal cables. Wooooooooh! Because screw you, IC2 cables and transformers!

Reactions: PierceSG

Jirajha

Jul 29, 2019
Also the more ripped off everyone feels.

You're Apple. You make tablets popular. But instead of buying your tablets, two thirds of people go and buys Android tablets instead. How do you feel?
You might think it would've been better to create the iPad at all, so that Android tablets wouldn't exist, so that Google wouldn't get more money.

If TE3 gets crops, that doesn't make it better than IC2.

People are saying that "it focuses on server efficiency" is a major advantage of TE.
For one thing, only certain blocks in TE are designed for CPU efficiency. For another thing, CPU efficiency is not a reason to enjoy playing a mod. Specifically, aqueous accumulators and igneous extruders were created to make common tasks more efficient. People did not latch onto them because they use less CPU, they did so because they only take up one block.
Redstone energy conduits and liquiducts were created after Buildcraft had some problems - waterproof pipes were a huge waste of bandwidth at one point. Now that's fixed, though, people don't use liquiducts (now fluiducts) because they use less bandwidth - they use them because you can move more liquid through a single pipe.
I doubt there's a significant difference in CPU use between a Redstone Furnace and an Electric Furnace, or a Pulverizer and a Macerator, or a Glacial Precipitator and a Compressor, or a TE Steam Engine and a Railcraft Steam Engine.

Also, CPU use just does not matter until you start getting less than 20 TPS. People playing in singleplayer should rarely have TPS problems - it tends to affect servers where many people are logged in at once and have to share the CPU. The game as just as fun whether you have 200 potential TPS, or 180 potential TPS, because it's capped at 20 anyway.

By the way, Induction Smelters were innovative.
Double ores and get bonus wool? That's silly, but not too silly, and new.
But double ores and get a few bonus ores? That's not really innovative.

Give this man a cookie!

Anyways, if you compare it to overclocked IC2 machines (8-16OC) nearly everything is better in terms of ressources. Even Vanilla hoppes or the ME Controller (at least for smaller networks) i guess. You can optimize code, but you can't indefinitely. Most performance lacks of IC2 machines is either directly or indirectly power related i think.
You don't only have to check for sufficient power. You also have to check for the the right "voltage" connected to it. You have to check every of the 4 slots for overclockers, how many there are how many ticks does it take to cook things up how much energy will it cost?
TE sounds just more like: %MaxEnergy ~> %Runspeed and then check for output
(both examples are very very simplified, didn't have a look into TE's source though).
That doesn't mean it's not as good, it does just mean it is as functional as it has to be and better then that: less energy ~> less runspeed -> less tasks to calculate.
It is a minor difference for 'standard' use that you won't even recognize.
For Servers however it can make a difference.
Imagine you have 15+ perma-chunkloaded bases running with auto-oreprocessing from multiple quarries each.
IC2 machines will cause more lack then TE due to higher runspeed and more things to check.
However this was all offtopic.

Back to topic after reading that whole discussion for about 2 hours now since i'm a bit tired.

The main question was:
What are pros and cons of UE and IC as a source of energy?

+ UE (Mekanism): Great free energy ressources (More Effective on Wind, Solar and "Geothermal")
+ UE (Mekanism): Awesome looking Blocks for Energy production
+ UE (UE API): Somewhat fully stable energyenvironment
+ UE (UE API): Fully compatiple to IC2, BC, RF Power (RF over the BC API i guess)
+ Great Integration to other mods and fairly easy to set a mod up on the UE API
+ Better use for RC Steamboilers
+ Plug'n'Play
- mostly undocumented, or outdated documentations

+ IC2: Machines with 16Overclockers tends to work with 1 Item per Tick
+ IC2: Immune to Lava with the Hazmat Suit \m/
+ IC2: quicker access to powered and rechargable tools early game
+ IC2: included in most (i simply guess by saying 90-95% but decreasing) modpacks
- documentations are a bit better but still not great due to experimental status
- wayyy more expensive on ressources
- energy system still derpy (and not 'finished')
- tends to beco e less and less used and liked
- Gregorious T's (author of GregTech) influence to the mod is criticized by many people, including ForgeCraft and FTB Staff (GregTech is designed to be an FTB Mod though), future in greater public modpacks unknown.

Sidenode: Connecting a UE cable to an IC2 cable can cause worldcrashes in the currebt version under certain curcumatances since IC2 being derpy (according to CrashLog) .

And finally: There were about 200+ posts in this thread, at least 150+ not directly related to the topic.
Thatfor: #CloseRequest

~no Signatur available~

Reactions: Lonewolf187

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
In response to the original question, I'd use TE and UE because IC2 is in a state of flux in terms of mechanics. They recently removed the machine exploding mechanic because it was broken, but it'll probably come back in a more manageable form. The thing is, while they're working it out, I don't want to have my base and all my machines depend on the ups and downs of IC2's development. I want a predictable set of mods I can learn to use before they all change.

Yeah, I agree that this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
...aaand thread locked. There was some legitimate, intelligent discussion in here, but the signal-to-noise ratio is rather poor.

Protip: showing respect for the person on the other side of the debate and giving them the benefit of the doubt goes a long way toward keeping the discussion from degenerating to the point where it ends up locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.