Universal Electricity vs IC2 pros & cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Given the prevalence of IC2 machines which do indeed explode,and the prior knowledge that they are going to, why not simply build your machine room out of explosion resistant material? They even give you reinforced stone, glass and doors, all of which are capable of with standing significant explosions. And until the experimental version, it required little more than the compressor and a couple of mIxed metal ingots.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
Given the prevalence of IC2 machines which do indeed explode, and the prior knowledge that they are going to, why not simply save yourself the trouble and use a non-exploding alternative like Mekanism or TE3? Unless you think exploding is a necessary balancing mechanic, there's no reason to live with the risk.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Given the prevalence of IC2 machines which do indeed explode,and the prior knowledge that they are going to, why not simply build your machine room out of explosion resistant material? They even give you reinforced stone, glass and doors, all of which are capable of with standing significant explosions. And until the experimental version, it required little more than the compressor and a couple of mIxed metal ingots.

Because some build for more than just function. Some like their structures, creations, and yes, even machine rooms to have a certain aesthetic to them. I know because I'm one of those players. If I'm forced to use such ugly blocks just to use certain machines then you can guarantee I'll use as little of the machines as possible. Especially when other mods give me the same or better function without such devastating downsides.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@Planetguy: Because neither Mekanism nor TE3 have jetpacks that I am aware of.

@SynfulChaot:We have different aesthetic tastes is all. I live in a wooden house. I don't have furnaces in there, because it's a little silly to have a furnace in a wooden house where it's going to catch fire. (nevermind the mechanics not allowing that) My machines are in a separate shed constructed of fire safe materials, like compressed cobble and normal stone. My Blast furnace is encased in a Netherbrick shell, leaving only one open space on the front for access, and two on top for hopper access should I need more than a stack. I think that form should follow function, instead of the other way around.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
We have different aesthetic tastes is all. I live in a wooden house. I don't have furnaces in there, because it's a little silly to have a furnace in a wooden house where it's going to catch fire. (nevermind the mechanics not allowing that) My machines are in a separate shed constructed of fire safe materials, like compressed cobble and normal stone. My Blast furnace is encased in a Netherbrick shell, leaving only one open space on the front for access, and two on top for hopper access should I need more than a stack. I think that form should follow function, instead of the other way around.

Why force form to follow function when you can have both? I don't go form only. Nor do I build function only. I build between the two. Both useful and aesthetically pleasing creations. Ones that are good to look at yet are easy to work on and maintain or upgrade. Being forced into reinforced concrete or a few other high-resistance materials really limits what you can do with aesthetics, as well as doing nothing to protect your other machines and related wiring.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@PlanetGuy:I figured you'd say that, and you're correct, but it's also considerably more expensive than the IC2 jetpack. Plus I'm still trying to figure out how to get started with Mekanism. It doesn't seem as straight-forward as IC2 or even TE.

On the other hand, that's in no small part because the videos that introduced me to Minecraft were all done with IC2 and TE machines. I'm still looking for videos that use Mekanism as their main method of doing things. Do you have a recommendation?

@SynfulChoat: For the challenge. Anyone can take beautiful looking blocks with connected textures and all that other fancy stuff, and come out with something good looking. But taking ugly blocks and putting them together in such a way that the structure looks good? That's a challenge. And if you don't have a challenge, what's the point of playing the game?

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
The MPS powersuit is indeed more expensive than the IC2 jetpack by default, however the recipes are in an easily-edited JSON file if you don't like them.

Mekanism doesn't seem to have much documentation. I found this video just now, it looks comprehensive and up-to-date. (Edit: It is. Watch it if you're lost as to how Mekanism works.)

Last edited:

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
@SynfulChaot: For the challenge. Anyone can take beautiful looking blocks with connected textures and all that other fancy stuff, and come out with something good looking. But taking ugly blocks and putting them together in such a way that the structure looks good? That's a challenge. And if you don't have a challenge, what's the point of playing the game?

For me, building the compact systems with good aesthetics is the challenge.

You're right in that anyone can take beautiful blocks and put them together. Where I think you're wrong, however, is that just because the blocks are beautiful it doesn't always logically follow that the result will be. And there is a limit to how good looking you can get with such a restricted materials list. Limiting all of my machines to such a restrictive palette is not what I find aesthetically pleasing.

And that still does nothing about your other machines that would be caught in the blast.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism is pretty straightforward but the names aren't. One would though a Crusher would be the Macerator/Pulverizer equivalent but nope, Enrichment Chamber is the one.

I do hope for more documentation to come out for Mekanism because it is pretty good. Also more documentation for the whole UE suite as well. I do not want to rely on youtube. :p

Reactions: RedBoss

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
well unless there's a wiki project then probably thats where we can start a proper documentation method

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Don't get me wrong. I LIKE the cost of the MPS jetpack recipe. The IC2 jetpack is balanced well against it, because the IC2 pack has significant limitations in comparison. An altitude limit, and fairly small battery. MPS pack is much better. Much like Gravisuite's Advanced Jetpack is much better.

@SynfulChoat: Then why are your machines right beside each other? Put them in a checkerboard pattern with one hardened block between them. Concrete looks great there because it's just about the same color as the IC2 Textures.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft force blocks are nice explosion resistant materials. Especially if you like garish multicoloured buildings.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, MPS is only better if you have at least the helm with the flight control module installed or else there isn't even a hover mode if I am not mistaken. As well as, you aren't going to have an MPS unless you're lucky with emeralds either gy biome or villagers. Also, ender pearls for the Ion Thrusters. >. <)

Each have their pros and con.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
@SynfulChaot: Then why are your machines right beside each other? Put them in a checkerboard pattern with one hardened block between them. Concrete looks great there because it's just about the same color as the IC2 Textures.

My machines tend to be adjacent as there is no sense to me in spacing out my machines in such a way. That is not conducive to compact systems, which I highly prefer. As for concrete as a building material? Kinda ugly and not preferred at all outside of very limited applications. And I don't build garish. Garish is ... *shudder*.

And again, why would I want to run machines with such downsides if there are perfectly valid options without the downsides? If I was playing the game in the vacuum of IC2/Gregtech I can see it, but in the greater modding picture those drawbacks will have me run no more IC2 than is absolutely necessary for function.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
IC2's pros are largely in its nifty selections of electric tools and armor, and its con is that it will blast you back to punching trees if you make even a minor error setting up your power grid. UE shines in its machines and blocks, but doesn't have as much in the way of armor and tools. MPS does a decent job of filling that out, but it values fully controlled flight a lot more than IC2. The wings allow horizontal, slowly descending flight for a handful of iron, so it isn't all expensive.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
IC2's pros are largely in its nifty selections of electric tools and armor, and its con is that it will blast you back to punching trees if you make even a minor error setting up your power grid. UE shines in its machines and blocks, but doesn't have as much in the way of armor and tools. MPS does a decent job of filling that out, but it values fully controlled flight a lot more than IC2. The wings allow horizontal, slowly descending flight for a handful of iron, so it isn't all expensive.
Speaking of wings... do those things still generate heat when you use them? I found it rather dumb that I couldn't glide across a desert without overheating.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of wings... do those things still generate heat when you use them? I found it rather dumb that I couldn't glide across a desert without overheating.
Perhaps drag from the air is causing undue friction? Sounds like you just cobble the wings together with a crude hammer and an anvil made out of cobble...

Status
Not open for further replies.