Ultimate. Iridium Source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Not really.
Adv pack is far more agile
  • Jump->Go
  • Land->No energy use
With gravi its
  • forget to press pointless ignition button->Press button->Jump->Go
  • Land->Forget to turn off gravi->Power drains to nothing (thanks for the 'warning' at 0% asshole machine!)->Turn off->Curse to self->Wait for UltiSolarHelm to recharge->Crap its nighttime->More expletives->Invent ingenious system with enderchests and enderpouch, gates and MFSU to recharge it anywhere. (more proud of that than making the gravishite)
Gravis only real asset is its OP defense that completely trivializes the entire battle aspect of the game.

Yeah, but it is much faster and it can let you to hover without any difficultes. And I turn off the jetpack each time I land, so that won't be an issue for me. And probably, powering GraviSuit is the the only reason why I would make an ultimate solar.

Protection can be worth it too, since I don't want to die by a bee explosion...

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
and don't forget ferrous ore in overworld.

if grinded with mercury (you'll get tons of it by centrifuging redstone dust for chrome) you get 1 platinum dust, and 2 platinum dust turn into two iridium nugggets, with the centrifuge...

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah valuable bees, they produce platinum combs.

I have 3 platinum bees, 2 are in alvearies with frame housings, 1 is in a standard alveary, they produce enough platinum dust to keep 3 industrial centrifuges working 24/7 making iridium nuggets.
OK, since I started to breed bees yesterday, I'll look into that. I think I should also make some advanced extrabees machinery (and probably one more boiler to power it all)

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
OK, since I started to breed bees yesterday, I'll look into that. I think I should also make some advanced extrabees machinery (and probably one more boiler to power it all)

yeah, sounds good. If you get stuck with any of it I made a 5 part valuable bee video guide a couple of months ago - tries to show what to do to get from no bees to valuable bees - findable via links in sig.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I read that bee wiki a bit and it is going to bee hard ^_^
I have to find the End and kill dat Dragon to get Valuable bee. OK.

I'll watch your video this evening (if they are not TOO long ^_^')

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but it is much faster and it can let you to hover without any difficultes. And I turn off the jetpack each time I land, so that won't be an issue for me. And probably, powering GraviSuit is the the only reason why I would make an ultimate solar.

Protection can be worth it too, since I don't want to die by a bee explosion...

The adv jetpack has the same (or very close) high speed mode ability. You have a point with the hovering, but its not an issue for me, gotten too good at the slowfall mode now :p

And isnt risk of beepocalypse and other risk party of the fun? Dont wanna lose all your stuff? Farm charms

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I think, GraviChest's boost is significantly faster than advanced jetpack's boost. But you are right, I like that jetpack very much and slowfall mode is OK for me. However, GraviChest is a good goal to reach.

I just don't like dying due to some odd reasons like sneaky pigman stabbing me to death in two hits while I mine Pyrite or something like that. And what are the charms you are talking about?

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Does a gravichest recharge all electric tools like the adv jetpack does?
yes, I find gravichest/solar lid combo almost a requirement when using a vajra

I feel stronger and faster in my power armour than using gravi set btw, withers are certainly easier.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I like the concept of PowerSuits, but AFAIK flying was a bit... messy. I'm not sure if I like it.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
jut takes a bit of getting used to, jetpack works just like a jetpack, its the flight control helmet upgrade that can seem odd at first.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I was trying to fly a bit in creative, using glider, jetpack and control helment. I don't know, sometimes you have insane speed, but while descending down... sometimes not...

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Powersuits are pretty beast, I have jetpack, jet boots, glider wings + flight control, and its (arguably) even better than creative, you just point the cursor somewhere and you go there pretty much, you never have to use space or shift to ascend or descend. If you try noclipping in minecraft, and walk upwards, its like that. Only faster.

Oh, and by the way, I suspect i'm the only person who uses advanced plating for protection rather than force fields... I don't like using energy if I don't have to :p

By the way (again) sheldonite ore is easily the fastest way of getting iridium, after only about 1/2 an hour I had 81 sheldonite ore, chuck it in the industrial grinder with some mercury cells and I had 45 iridium to show for it. Not bad eh? You might as well not bother with a matterfab.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Powersuits are pretty beast, I have jetpack, jet boots, glider wings + flight control, and its (arguably) even better than creative, you just point the cursor somewhere and you go there pretty much, you never have to use space or shift to ascend or descend. If you try noclipping in minecraft, and walk upwards, its like that. Only faster.

Oh, and by the way, I suspect i'm the only person who uses advanced plating for protection rather than force fields... I don't like using energy if I don't have to :p

I'm rocking full energy and never have to recharge my armour due to solar + kinetic generators

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I'm rocking full energy and never have to recharge my armour due to solar + kinetic generators
I know, kinetic generators provide all the energy you could need, but it just feels wrong to have some invisible field protecting me, y'know? I feel safer underneath something corporeal.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Just wait for ultimate to be updated to 1.5+ as the new versions of nether ores adds both platinum and iridium ore to the nether. Not sure how much yet but it would make quarrying out the nether more desirable.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Just wait for ultimate to be updated to 1.5+ as the new versions of nether ores adds both platinum and iridium ore to the nether. Not sure how much yet but it would make quarrying out the nether more desirable.
I've dome some pretty extensive ftb'ing by now, and i've still never found a single diamond or uranium nether ore, meaning the platinum + iridium nether ores must be ridiculous.

As an aside: they really ought to add more uses for platinum. Pretty much its only real use is centrifuging it for iridium. Shame really.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
there are a few recipes for shiny ingots. but as in the real world: platinum has some use in industry (platinum catalysts for cars) but if there is a cheaper substitute, it will be used...

Dasein808

Jul 29, 2019
Go to the End.
Collect Sheldonite ore from asteroids. You'll find 1-2 veins of it per asteroid. (Usually one. The veins aren't very large, either. I changed the texture of sheldonite ore to help with the search. It tends to blend in with end stone.)
Put the sheldonite ore into an industrial grinder. You will be rewarded with Iridium nuggets and platinum dust.
Centrifuge the platinum for additional iridium.

And yeah, the matter fabricator will take any amount of energy you put into it, so long as it doesn't exceed 8192 eu/t. Obviously, the speed of UU matter production depends on how much energy you stuff into it.
Also, use mercury cells in the industrial grinder when processing Sheldonite for increased yields (3 Pt, 1 Ni, & 2 Ir nuggets); since cinnabar is currently otherwise useless AFAIK.

Mercury cells can be made in a crafting table with empty cells and quicksilver, or you can acquire them as a byproduct of centrifuging other materials..