Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
There's talk the upcoming Forestry release will severely nerf Oak saplings -- so any suggestions for the best hybrid for those of us converting saplings into biomass/biofuel?

I run a SC farm which produces just enough logs for 2 x 36Hps plus saplings to biofuel for another 2 liquid boilers, so I may have to take both logs and sap into consideration. (Does an SC farm even handle non-vanilla trees?)

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
Since this is on the front page again anyhow, I figured I'd note that only some types of Bee pollination will actually cause tree breeding. The wiki says that bees must have "flower" pollination but "mushroom" definitely works too. Rock, Lily pads, and Magic Flowers (Thaumic Bees) all have not worked for me. Has anyone else noticed any types that work (or don't work?)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
There's talk the upcoming Forestry release will severely nerf Oak saplings -- so any suggestions for the best hybrid for those of us converting saplings into biomass/biofuel?

I run a SC farm which produces just enough logs for 2 x 36Hps plus saplings to biofuel for another 2 liquid boilers, so I may have to take both logs and sap into consideration. (Does an SC farm even handle non-vanilla trees?)

It's fact, not a rumor, but "severe" is in the eye of the beholder. Vanilla saplings (or extrabiomes, or whatever other mod adds saplings through the API) will generate a base 250mb each sapling. Current in 1.4.7 they generate 800mb.

If you are currently generating "just enough" biomass, then you will start being short, but I've personally never had a biomass generation that didn't over produce by a rather huge margin.

ANd no, SC farms do not as of 1.4.7 handle non vanilla trees. In fact, other than the forestry farms, no farm handles forestry saplings.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
It's fact, not a rumor, but "severe" is in the eye of the beholder. Vanilla saplings (or extrabiomes, or whatever other mod adds saplings through the API) will generate a base 250mb each sapling. Current in 1.4.7 they generate 800mb.

If you are currently generating "just enough" biomass, then you will start being short, but I've personally never had a biomass generation that didn't over produce by a rather huge margin.

ANd no, SC farms do not as of 1.4.7 handle non vanilla trees. In fact, other than the forestry farms, no farm handles forestry saplings.

Ah, so your last statement says to me the only way I can get chestnuts or walnuts is by having an apatite supply? Do you know if we'll be able to use SC2 or MFR once ftb goes to 1.5? Guess I'm sticking with melons for my seed oil production, for now at least..

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, so your last statement says to me the only way I can get chestnuts or walnuts is by having an apatite supply?

No. You can grow the trees manually, let them sit (or hit the leaves with bonemeal), and chop them down. A turtle can be programmed to do it even.

But no automated farms.

Do you know if we'll be able to use SC2 or MFR once ftb goes to 1.5? Guess I'm sticking with melons for my seed oil production, for now at least..

I've seen nothing in the changelog of either SC or MFR to hint that they will start working with forestry saplings in 1.5, but haven't actually tested.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
No. You can grow the trees manually, let them sit (or hit the leaves with bonemeal), and chop them down. A turtle can be programmed to do it even.

But no automated farms.

I've seen nothing in the changelog of either SC or MFR to hint that they will start working with forestry saplings in 1.5, but haven't actually tested.

cool, thanks for info!

Jadzi

Jul 29, 2019
As with everyone else I am greatly appreciative of this thread. Helpful information! I'm stuck with one last sapling though, the sipiri. I've moved my tree breeding chunk into a jungle (a proper vanilla one) biome. It is warm/damp there. My bees are happily breeding away just as they have with all my other trees they've bred. It's been several days however and *nothing* from the Kapok/mahogany combo - no sipiri saplings, not even a crossbred mutated leaf of any kind. I'm frustrated and confused. Any ideas?

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
Where are your bees located? The first time I tried breeding Sipiri it was taking forever as well. I eventually decided that the leaves might be out of range given the height of Kapok & Meranti. After moving my apiaries up to a floating platform at leaf level, things went much quicker. On my current server, I planted the trees pretty close together, strapped on a jetpack, and just stuck the apiary & a flower pot on top of the center tree.

Jadzi

Jul 29, 2019
Where are your bees located? The first time I tried breeding Sipiri it was taking forever as well. I eventually decided that the leaves might be out of range given the height of Kapok & Meranti. After moving my apiaries up to a floating platform at leaf level, things went much quicker. On my current server, I planted the trees pretty close together, strapped on a jetpack, and just stuck the apiary & a flower pot on top of the center tree.

My apiary is up on a platform as well. I have the trees in a tight circle, the apiary is in the middle of them, about 1 block beneath the lowest leaf. The leaves are definitely within the bees' range

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Before I switched to magic flowers, vanilla trees in the forest I built that were about 10 blocks from the building (so,15ish from closest alveary) were completely covered in mutated leaves, and even ones 50 blocks away had some. A bee will mutate leaves as far away as it will spread flowers which most know is very far.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
Ive managed my way up to kapok, but have had a bunch of trouble with getting ebony in my plains biome. Also, i've definitely managed some weird trait cross-breeding, with how dirty my system was. I have walnut trees that produce cherries, and some kapoks that produce cocoa. Kinda neat, gonna try harder at it after the 1.5.1 update.

Czarified

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone confirm if some bees don't work? I've had 1 water bee constantly cycling in a chunk loaded area in a swampland biome and I still don't have a willow tree, or any mutated leaves whatsoever. It's been several days and I planted quite a few vanilla birch and oak saplings nearby.

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, only certain types of pollination work for tree breeding. If your bees have Lily Pad pollination (the default for Water bees) they won't interact with the trees. Bees that pollinate Flowers and Mushrooms both work; I haven't done any testing to see if anything else works though.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, only certain types of pollination work for tree breeding. If your bees have Lily Pad pollination (the default for Water bees) they won't interact with the trees. Bees that pollinate Flowers and Mushrooms both work; I haven't done any testing to see if anything else works though.
Are you 100% sure about this? This is the first time I've read anything like this. Just remember, that water bees have the slowest pollination (also called flowering) trait, so the base chance to even check for leaves is a measly 5%.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, so your last statement says to me the only way I can get chestnuts or walnuts is by having an apatite supply? Do you know if we'll be able to use SC2 or MFR once ftb goes to 1.5? Guess I'm sticking with melons for my seed oil production, for now at least..
My understanding of this is, they didn't grow the trees with girths of 2x2 or 3x3, because for example with SC2, it plants single saplings, not a square which the trees need to grow. Multifarms however just lay down a large blanket of saplings, and thus this allows trees with larger girths to be autogrown

I cannot see why they wouldn't work with trees of girths 1x1, except for a buggy incompatibility which can eventually be fixed.[DOUBLEPOST=1366193798][/DOUBLEPOST]Does anybody know if you could breed silverwood trees into things?

Obviously there's no mutations with these, but could you breed the silverwood saplings to have traits from the forestry ones?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Actually MysteriousAges said he wanted to add Silverwood and Greatwood to the breeding. Note that Silverwood bred in this manner will not make nodes, due to both API limitations (add-on mods can't create nodes) and because it's a stupid, OP, idea.

Reactions: FatalLozenge

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
Are you 100% sure about this? This is the first time I've read anything like this. Just remember, that water bees have the slowest pollination (also called flowering) trait, so the base chance to even check for leaves is a measly 5%.
I'm about 95% sure. On SMP, I created a bunch of "super bees" which had largest territory, maximum flowering, etc. as a base. Then I gave one set "Magic Flowers" preference to create some Shimmerleaf & Cinderpearl and another set "Lily Pad" preference to generate some of those. I planted my trees nearby figuring to get started on some tree breeding at the same time; not a single leaf mutated in a couple (RL) days of activity. When I switched these bees over to "Mushroom" preference, tree breeding starting happening within a few minutes.

Reactions: mouseodoom