Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm that magic flowers will not pollinate trees.

Well that explains why my aura bee's that have fastest pollination won't work. Time to break out the serums. Seems a little backwards to give a bee super high pollination for tree's, but make it not work with tree's.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
New Villager NPCs in 1.5.1 sell

"proven grafters" for 2 emeralds
Forestry saplings for 8 emeralds each with standard stats. These saplings can be fairly deep in the "breeding path".
32x Forestry Wood Planks for one emerald
(All prices almost certainly slightly variable)

I can also confirm that as of 54.0.5, Immibis Microblocks work with Forestry wood and logs. However, autodetect doesn't work and you have to add the ids manually)
(I can also confirm that in 1.4.7, Microblocks did not work with Forestry wood and logs)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
New Villager NPCs in 1.5.1 sell

"proven grafters" for 2 emeralds
Forestry saplings for 8 emeralds each with standard stats. These saplings can be fairly deep in the "breeding path".
32x Forestry Wood Planks for one emerald
(All prices almost certainly slightly variable)

I can also confirm that as of 54.0.5, Immibis Microblocks work with Forestry wood and logs. However, autodetect doesn't work and you have to add the ids manually)
(I can also confirm that in 1.4.7, Microblocks did not work with Forestry wood and logs)
That's cool now we just play the waiting game until FTB updates.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Hell yes, Forestry wood microblocks! The lack of those certainly made my wood processing building look strange in a couple places on my 1.4.7 server...

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
So, i'm trying to make uber Apple Oaks to rock my biofuel set-up in a Arboreteum (yes, I know, Steve's Carts, but I'm giving myself a challenge) and I'm pretty much spinning my wheels. With bee breeding, it seems a fairly clear path to add a trait from one bee species to another. With trees, it is much less clear. For one, it seems that two Apple Oaks with different genetics will not crossbreed, making the purification of a strain rather squirrely. For two, the vanilla tree species are recessive, so the Balsa and Hill Cherry (which have the desired super-fuel traits) always override them. I'm sure things will be changing in 1.5.1 with the inclusion of more fruit trees and Sappiness as a fuel stat, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any hints for make the perfect biofuel apple.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.5.1, Lemon and plum trees also produce fruit juice and have higher sappiness to start. I don't really think you can do what you want in 1.4.7

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Well that explains why my aura bee's that have fastest pollination won't work. Time to break out the serums. Seems a little backwards to give a bee super high pollination for tree's, but make it not work with tree's.
Overview of which Flower types can pollinate, as far as my current knowledge goes:
Forestry:
End, Jungle, Mushroom, Flowers, Wheat: Works
Cacti: Works only on Acacia and Baobab
Nether: Doesn't work
Extra Bees:
Lily Pad, Reeds, Rock,None, Redstone: Doesn't work
Thaumic Bees:
Books, Magic Flowers: Doesn't work
Node, Purify Node, Fluxify Node: Works

Reactions: MouseyPounds

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.5.1, Lemon and plum trees also produce fruit juice and have higher sappiness to start. I don't really think you can do what you want in 1.4.7
Um. What I want is to breed an Apple Oak with Triple Saplings, Normal yield, Highest Sappiness, Fastest maturity, and Apple fruits. That should be possible.

So, I learned I was wrong about crossbreeding a species with itself. I just needed to give it more patience. That will help significantly in my efforts.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
So, i'm trying to make uber Apple Oaks to rock my biofuel set-up in a Arboreteum (yes, I know, Steve's Carts, but I'm giving myself a challenge) and I'm pretty much spinning my wheels. With bee breeding, it seems a fairly clear path to add a trait from one bee species to another. With trees, it is much less clear. For one, it seems that two Apple Oaks with different genetics will not crossbreed, making the purification of a strain rather squirrely. For two, the vanilla tree species are recessive, so the Balsa and Hill Cherry (which have the desired super-fuel traits) always override them. I'm sure things will be changing in 1.5.1 with the inclusion of more fruit trees and Sappiness as a fuel stat, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any hints for make the perfect biofuel apple.
After weeks of cross-breeding trees, I think I may have just bred the "perfect" tree you're looking for. However I haven't bred every species of tree (still missing Willow, Desert Acacia and the trees that flow from there), so I don't know whether there are trees with better traits. But this is my current uber-tree:
  • Species - Silver Lime - Apple Oak
  • Saplings - Triple
  • Matures - Fastest
  • Height - Largest
  • Girth - 1x1
  • Yield - Normal
  • Sappiness - Lower
  • Supports - Nuts/Prunes/Pomes
  • Fruits - Apple
This tree is huge, with more leaf blocks than any tree I've seen. It drops tons of Apples (which I put through a Squeezer for Apple Juice & Mulch for the Fermenter) and Saplings. And, because it's a Silver Lime, it's thinner than an Apple Oak, with leaf blocks extending only three blocks away from the trunk --- this means fewer nearby saplings are prevented from growing by the leaf blocks of a neighboring tree, which is important given the tight configuration of the multifarm.

I started by crossbreeding Silver Lime and Balsa trees, which gave me a Silver Lime tree with Balsa's Saplings (Triple) trait. Step two was to take this Silver Lime - Balsa hybrid and crossbreed it with a Sequoia, for Height (Largest). Finally, I crossbred this Silver Lime - Sequoia hybrid with a basic Apple Oak to get the above.

My cross-breeding setup was a cluster of six apiaries in the center of a circle of ten trees, five each of the two types I wanted to cross. I used Rural bees, as they combine a really good pollination trait ("Faster", better than Industrious) with being pretty easy to acquire.

Anyone have a better tree?

Reactions: Sengir

FatalLozenge

Jul 29, 2019
This is the full list of breeding combos and information that can be found in this thread:

Oak + Birch = Silver lime 15% chance
Oak + Silver lime = Cherry 10% chance
Birch + Silver lime = Cherry 10% chance

Cherry + Silver lime = Walnut 10% chance
Cherry + Walnut = Chestnut 10% chance
Walnut + Silver lime = Chestnut 10% chance

Oak + Silver lime = Willow 10% chance *
Oak + Birch = Willow 10% chance *
Birch + Silver lime = Willow 10% chance*

Oak + Spruce = Mundane Larch 15% chance
Spruce + Mundane Larch = Bull Pine 10% chance
Bull Pine + Mundane Larch = Sequoia 5% chance

Jungle + Silver lime = Teak 10% chance
Jungle + Teak = Kapok 10% chance

Kapok + Teak = Myrtle Ebony 10% chance
Kapok + Myrtle Ebony = Yellow Meranti 10% chance
Kapok + Yellow Meranti = Sipiri 10% chance*

Teak + Silver lime = Balsa 10% chance
Teak + Balsa = Desert Acacia 10% chance

Balsa + Desert Acacia = Wenge
Balsa + Wenge = Baobob 10% chance

*the trees have a requirement of being in a swamp or a damp humidity biome in order to get a sapling
mutation

For quickest breeding, use bees with an improved Pollination speed. Thaumic bees are Fastest, Rural bees are Faster, and Industrious bees are Fast. Also, only certain types of Flowers traits will work with trees.

EDIT: 5 seconds after figuring all this crap out, I noticed the wiki has a full guide; http://ftbwiki.org/Tree_Breeding

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
After weeks of cross-breeding trees, I think I may have just bred the "perfect" tree you're looking for. However I haven't bred every species of tree (still missing Willow, Desert Acacia and the trees that flow from there), so I don't know whether there are trees with better traits. But this is my current uber-tree:
  • Species - Silver Lime - Apple Oak
  • Saplings - Triple
  • Matures - Fastest
  • Height - Largest
  • Girth - 1x1
  • Yield - Normal
  • Sappiness - Lower
  • Supports - Nuts/Prunes/Pomes
  • Fruits - Apple
This tree is huge, with more leaf blocks than any tree I've seen. It drops tons of Apples (which I put through a Squeezer for Apple Juice & Mulch for the Fermenter) and Saplings. And, because it's a Silver Lime, it's thinner than an Apple Oak, with leaf blocks extending only three blocks away from the trunk --- this means fewer nearby saplings are prevented from growing by the leaf blocks of a neighboring tree, which is important given the tight configuration of the multifarm.

I started by crossbreeding Silver Lime and Balsa trees, which gave me a Silver Lime tree with Balsa's Saplings (Triple) trait. Step two was to take this Silver Lime - Balsa hybrid and crossbreed it with a Sequoia, for Height (Largest). Finally, I crossbred this Silver Lime - Sequoia hybrid with a basic Apple Oak to get the above.

My cross-breeding setup was a cluster of six apiaries in the center of a circle of ten trees, five each of the two types I wanted to cross. I used Rural bees, as they combine a really good pollination trait ("Faster", better than Industrious) with being pretty easy to acquire.

Anyone have a better tree?
SirSengir just tweeted this post, he hasn't bred anything better :p

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
yes, really.

Anyone breed any 1.5.1 trees yet?

Papaya and Lemon. Plum I found on a villager.

In general, it takes a lot longer to get mutations instead of just crossbreeding. I'm about ready to give up on Kapok, which means no Ebony.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019

In general, it takes a lot longer to get mutations instead of just crossbreeding. I'm about ready to give up on Kapok, which means no Ebony.

I also found Kapok to be a bottleneck in my tree breeding, but dont give up.

All the recent timber editions to my Basalt castle/main base now use ebony for the transition... so glad I persevered. Good luck

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I never ended up trying to breed apples onto another tree. After discovering that I could cross-breed two trees of the same species with different traits, I got to work. I use Aura Bees from the Thaumic Bees mod for their Maximum pollination and the 15x13x15 area. This is on the current Direwolf20 pack, I'm definitely looking forward to the changes that have happened to tree breeding since the version I'm running.

I started by crossing Balsa with Hill Cherry. I went through a LOT of saplings, probably two inventories worth, looking for the 'perfect' genetics. Once I had a Hill Cherry sample with Triple Saplings, Fast Maturity, Large Height, Normal Yield, and Highest Sappiness, I tore everything down and sickled all the remaining leaf blocks. I planted my star sapling, bone mealed it, used a Thaumium Grafter with Repair II to collect half a stack of clone saplings, and made a small forest around my pollinators. It didn't take long before I had a pure specimen of a Hill Cherry with the aforementioned traits Active and Inactive. I tore down my breeding forest, waited, planted five of my super cherry and five pure Apple Oaks. I went through a number of rejects before I found a Hill Cherry / Apple Oak with all five traits I was looking for. Next came planting a breeding forest of the final sapling, selecting for Apple Oak / Apple Oak with as much doubling-up on the other five as possible. I could have stopped there, when all the active genes were my desired traits, but I took it a step further and refined the line until all active and inactive traits were the best I could get. The final result:

• Species - Apple Oak
  • Saplings - Triple
  • Matures - Fastest
  • Height - Large
  • Girth - 1x1
  • Yield - Normal
  • Sappiness - Highest
  • Supports - Pomes
  • Fruits - Apple
  • Family - Pomes
I really should experiment with some of the other trees that give extra leaf blocks, but it's become an exercise for entertainment rather than anything useful. The Orchard uses FAR too much fertilizer in this version for my tastes (unsure if this has been adjusted in later versions). I've switched over to maximizing honey production to run my biofuel boilers. Bees in apiaries do not burn nonrenewable resources to pay for their fermenting fluid production. This is part of my own personal challenge to not use water in my fermenters.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Not that it realy helps at the moment. But they are working on Extra Trees a tree counter part to extra bees. Should be usfull.

Jadzi

Jul 29, 2019

What did you breed to get the Papaya and Lemon?

Anyone else made further discoveries on the new breeds? Mahoe, Palm, Maple, etc?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, I'm glad I checked this out, my tree breeding is going to suffer. I only have Oak and Fir trees, not much down that path :D
Since I'm using Biomes o Plenty, I have yet to find any vanilla birch or jungle trees. I refuse to use EE3 to convert saplings, so I think I'll have to start exploring mystcraft ages for trees!

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone 100% confirm that apple oaks and silver birch will produce willow in a river biome please?

http://i.imgur.com/FjogkcV.png

I have had the above running for 18 real life hours with a chunk loader and industrious hive. They have given me over 75 saplings of silver lime pures, silver birch hybrids and apple oak hybrids but absolutely 0 willow. Given that willow allegedly has the same percentage chance as the others then it's my opinion that the wiki is wrong and willow are not produced by this combo.

Furthermore, I didn't get any with silver birch and silver limes in a different river biome either, running for a similar length of time so it doesn't look like river biomes work. :confused:

I see other folks in this thread have had success with them in swamplands so I'll have to move them there and use a suitable (slow) bee as my industrious bees won't work without genetic modification.