Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
Even desert? I've got 6 apiaries with modest bees surrounded by oak, birch and spruce trees. In the desert. I've ran the apiaries for several cycles (enough that the amount of drones in each apiary is well in the double digits now), and not a single block of leaf mutated... What am i doing wrong? Did I miss something obvious?
...Like, am I supposed to treealyze the saplings before planting them? Cause I didn't :x
Try relogging in. A post above said its an error with the game no loading a mutation.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
...Like, am I supposed to treealyze the saplings before planting them? Cause I didn't :x

If they're vanilla trees, you really should. I know when I went off to a swamp ti do my willow tree, I had an analyzed oak and birch surrounded by the "natural" oaks and not a single leaf of all the natural oaks mutated, while a dozen or so of the one I analyzed did.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Even desert? I've got 6 apiaries with modest bees surrounded by oak, birch and spruce trees. In the desert. I've ran the apiaries for several cycles (enough that the amount of drones in each apiary is well in the double digits now), and not a single block of leaf mutated... What am i doing wrong? Did I miss something obvious?
I'm 100% certain. As of Forestry 2.0.0.10, only Sipiri and Willow trees have special requirements for breeding beyond the requisite combination of trees. You shouldn't need to analyze the trees, but then again I did all my tree breeding in like .5 or .6, so it's possible that part has changed (or a bug was introduced).

Lady_Oolong

Jul 29, 2019
If they're vanilla trees, you really should. I know when I went off to a swamp ti do my willow tree, I had an analyzed oak and birch surrounded by the "natural" oaks and not a single leaf of all the natural oaks mutated, while a dozen or so of the one I analyzed did.

I have had natural vanilla trees crossbreed just fine, including the aforementioned large stretch of accidentally crossbred jungle (where the trees are jungle but the undergrowth is oak leaves) and my willow-producing area (where I used vanilla birch saplings with the local oak).

ultradolp

Jul 29, 2019
I started doing the tree breeding and is able to obtain Mundane Larch and Silver Lime luckily (And I do not even remember what combination I used, though I got the pure stream of both). But that is the farthest I can get to. I planted 5 new trees with my pure Silver Lime at center, 4 different vanilla trees (analyzed) next to it. I have been waiting days and nights even my bees are doing their job, the trees just do not cross breed. Does that mean I need to chop down the tree and replant a new set again for them to breed? Or just that I need to wait longer (I have been waiting for like 3 real days)?

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
I started doing the tree breeding and is able to obtain Mundane Larch and Silver Lime luckily (And I do not even remember what combination I used, though I got the pure stream of both). But that is the farthest I can get to. I planted 5 new trees with my pure Silver Lime at center, 4 different vanilla trees (analyzed) next to it. I have been waiting days and nights even my bees are doing their job, the trees just do not cross breed. Does that mean I need to chop down the tree and replant a new set again for them to breed? Or just that I need to wait longer (I have been waiting for like 3 real days)?
you will have a better chance if you plant more then 1 lime i plant 2/2 or 3/3 of the trees i want
are the treese closeish? it can take a while unless you have some decent bees

ultradolp

Jul 29, 2019
you will have a better chance if you plant more then 1 lime i plant 2/2 or 3/3 of the trees i want
are the treese closeish? it can take a while unless you have some decent bees

It is very strange to me that I obtained the mundane larch and silver lime very easily over a span of day with only 1 apiary nearby. However I still cannot find any other tree except hybrid with 20+ apiary nearby working constantly. I don't quite understand the "chance of breeding". Does it mean that each tree has only 10% chance to breed as the new tree so if they only give me hybrid I need to chop them and replant them?

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
You are right. There are also some trees that will grow with a trunk slightly bigger/smaller than analyzer says (but you still need 1/4/9 saplings).

It is also fixed by putting them in canvas bag and then taking them out, it is a lot easier than restarting server.

Thanks for this little tidbit.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
It is very strange to me that I obtained the mundane larch and silver lime very easily over a span of day with only 1 apiary nearby. However I still cannot find any other tree except hybrid with 20+ apiary nearby working constantly. I don't quite understand the "chance of breeding". Does it mean that each tree has only 10% chance to breed as the new tree so if they only give me hybrid I need to chop them and replant them?
my guess chance is the chance of getting the sapling as opposed to the 2 parent trees saplings

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
FYI all trees so far have been bred in the same biome (shrubland)

Silver birch, apple oak, silver lime, hill cherry, common walnut, sweet chestnut, red spruce, jungle, mundane larch, bull pine, kapok & teak.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
In case anybody cares about stats....

The following is a list of every tree I know about. Trees prefixed with a number of saplings were found in dungeons. Trees prefixed with "Bred" are welll..Bred, and are the default stats for that breed without modification. I have bred every breed in a survival game and can confirm that all except two will work in an Extreme Hills (Normal/Normal) biome.

Code:
                        Saplings / Matures / Height / Girth / Yield / Sappiness
[3 Saplings] Silver Lime: (Normal / Slower  / Ave    / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Silver Lime: (Normal / Fast    / Small  / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred White Willow  (Norm  / Fastest / Ave    / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)
[4 Saplings] Mundane Larch (Norm  / Slower  / Ave    / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Mundane Larch (Norm  / Fast    / Ave    / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)
[3 Saplings] Hill Cherry  (Normal / Slower  / Small  / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Hill Cherry  (Normal / Fast    / Small  / 1x1  / Normal/ Highest)
        Bred Bull Pine    (Normal / Fast    / Ave    / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)
[1 Sapling]  Sequoia      (Normal / Slower  / Gigant / 3x3  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Sequoia      (Normal / Slow    / Largest/ 3x3  / Lowest/ Lower)
[3 Saplings] Teak        (Normal / Slower  / Ave    / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Teak        (Normal / Fast    / Small  / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)
        Bred Kapok        (Normal / Normal  / Large  / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)
[5 Saplings] Balsa        (Triple / Slower  / Larger / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Balsa        (Triple / Fast    / Large  / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)
[4 Saplings] Desert Acacia(Normal / Slower  / Small  / 1x1  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Desert Acacia(Normal / Fast    / Small  / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)
        Bred Myrtle Ebony (Normal / Slow    / Ave    / 3x3  / Lowest/ Lower)
        Bred Grandider's Baobob
                          (Normal / Normal  / Large  / 3x3  / Lowest/ Lower)
        Bred Yellow Meranti (Norm / Normal  / Large  / 2x2  / Lowest/ Lower)
        Bred Common Walnut  (Norm / Fast    / Average/ 2x2  / Normal/ Highest)
[8 Saplings] Sweet Chestnut (Norm / Slower  / Large  / 2x2  / Normal/ Lower)
        Bred Sweet Chestnut (Norm / Fast    / Large  / 2x2  / Normal/ Highest)
        Bred Wenge        (Normal / Fast    / Small  / 2x2  / Lowest/ Lower)
        Bred Sipiri      (Normal / Normal  / Large  / 1x1  / Lowest/ Lower)

Data points:
There is no "Double" saplings trait
There is no "Slowest" matures trait
The only source of "Gigantic" height is a dungeon found Sequoia, but appears to be shorter than the "Largest" bred one.
There is no yield better than "Normal"
Only the three fruit trees other than vanilla apple oak have a sappiness value other than "Lower"

Willow requires Swamp to mutate but will bonemeal grow in a normal/normal biome.
Sipiri trees refused to be bonemeal grown in a Normal/Normal biome, but worked in a Jungle

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
Things that have helped me or that I have noticed with tree breeding is the following.

1. I get better results if I use multiple trees. About 2-3 per type.
2. Try to use a strain of bees that have the Fast or Fastest Pollination trait. Once I switched to Industrious Bees I noticed leaf mutations happened much much faster.
3. Relogging or block updates help show leaves that do have mutations. It seems some versions of Forestry don't show these leaf updates right away. You can also see mutated leaves in the mini map as they will show up in a pinkish color. Note this will only help when breeding vanilla trees.
4. After a few day cycles I found it was better to chop the trees down and start fresh once they were getting really barren on leaves. If you have Cherry or Nut trees they will usually be mature and you can get a windfall on their produce. Get a Walnut tree and you will never run short of Seed Oil again.

Now I haven't gotten into mutating specific traits of trees yet like maturity rate or trunk size or height. I assume this works like breeding specific traits like with bees.

try2bcool

Jul 29, 2019
In case anyone is still following this thread, I can confirm that Wenge is indeed gotten from Balsa+Desert Acacia. It seems to only be mutating in the Balsa, I haven't had one single Acacia leaf mutate, so my advice is to plant 2-3 times as many Balsa as Acacia, since they don't have many leaves to begin with. I don't know if Wenge is biome specific or not, but I got them in a Jungle with just plain old Marshy Bees, and they popped up relatively fast.

Reactions: TheLegendaryFoxFire

Lady_Oolong

Jul 29, 2019
I got Wenge in a shrubland (Extra Biomes plains variant). I did see a few Acacia leaves mutate but they were rare.

I didn't get any mutations in the desert, and I had to return to the normal climate for the desert acacia.

I also want to note that breeding trees with an extreme height difference is tricky, or at least the extremely tall ones are, just in terms of getting the bees within range of the leaves. You'll either want to put your bees on a pillar, put the shorter trees on a pillar, or both. Also, while putting an apiary directly on top of the leaf blocks seemed like a good idea at the time, I got zero mutations from it...I think the pollination range might be calculated from the bottom of the apiary upwards.

try2bcool

Jul 29, 2019
I got Wenge in a shrubland (Extra Biomes plains variant). I did see a few Acacia leaves mutate but they were rare.

I didn't get any mutations in the desert, and I had to return to the normal climate for the desert acacia.

I also want to note that breeding trees with an extreme height difference is tricky, or at least the extremely tall ones are, just in terms of getting the bees within range of the leaves. You'll either want to put your bees on a pillar, put the shorter trees on a pillar, or both. Also, while putting an apiary directly on top of the leaf blocks seemed like a good idea at the time, I got zero mutations from it...I think the pollination range might be calculated from the bottom of the apiary upwards.

I know exactly what you mean, I had to raise mine up quite a bit to get a Sipiri sapling, because the Meranti and Kapok were both too tall for the bees to reach, although it probably depends on the range of the bees you are using, too.

That Sipiri completes my tree collection btw, great addition to the Forestry mod imho, now I just wish I could get my head wrapped around bee breeding.

The_Creamster

Jul 29, 2019
This is the best guide i've seen, the only trees i haven't got yet are the Yellow Meranti(1 Myrtle Ebony sapling until i can breed it), Baobab, wenge, Willow & Sipiri. I have been directing others towards this when they have wanted to breed trees themselves.

Reactions: Quesenek

Auchioane

Jul 29, 2019
How does one breed mahogany? The logs appear in NEI next to a few of the other forestry trees so I am assuming that there is a way to breed them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. using DW20 pack.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
How does one breed mahogany? The logs appear in NEI next to a few of the other forestry trees so I am assuming that there is a way to breed them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. using DW20 pack.
The yellow meranti tree gives mahogany wood.