Too many Diamonds in Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
This. On top of that, the first person on a server to *get* to the End has to accumulate a good 10 to 16 Pearls, depending upon distance to nearest End portal and how many pearls you need to complete said portal.

Blaze Rods are a major check/chokepoint as well. I don't mind either as a check/choke point. It forces encourages proper progression.
You only *really* need 2 ender pearls to find a stronghold.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Not that it really matters in the long run, I have far more diamonds than I could ever use at this point (pretty sure I could fill a chunk with blocks of diamond thanks purely to MFR laser drills and Fortune) but my general suspicion would be that there are actually slightly fewer diamond ores generated in Unleashed when compared to Vanilla, due to the increased number of ores/non-stone blocks that can generate in the same location.

On the other hand, people may be finding an increase simply because of flattened bedrock.

In conclusion, who cares, you can start manufacturing diamonds by the end of the first week or so =P

Agreed. Diamond Bees aren't terribly difficult and one can always compress coal to get diamonds.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I think your statement is flawed. He is not sampling chunks.

Sampling chunks would be: "Out of the 64 sampled chunks, how many of them contained diamonds".

Hes sampling blocks. "Out of the 64x64xdiamond-able-layers blocks, how many where diamond blocks."

Nope. Diamonds are generated on a per chunk basis. A single sample consists of a count of how many diamonds are in a single chunk. You're proposing a ratio... diamonds:total blocks per eligible chunk area which is completely meaningless because there are other factors that can alter the results (ie. air pockets around lava pools).

This isn't even a discussion. I've explained to you how it is. If you want to argue otherwise, you'll need to find someone else to argue with.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. Diamonds are generated on a per chunk basis. A single sample consists of a count of how many diamonds are in a single chunk. You're proposing a ratio... diamonds:total blocks per eligible chunk area which is completely meaningless because there are other factors that can alter the results (ie. air pockets around lava pools).

This isn't even a discussion. I've explained to you how it is. If you want to argue otherwise, you'll need to find someone else to argue with.
Yet, more diamonds.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You only *really* need 2 ender pearls to find a stronghold.

Is there some trick I don't know about?
The first two I threw up in the 1.6.4 world I am playing in exploded.
After that I was fine, but those first two were gone instantly.

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
You trace 2 lines in the directions where they went, the intersection is the stronghold.
Ofc you need to throw them at different places(and the 2nd one not on the line of the first obviously).

Reactions: Hoff

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Yea no; they're definitely up. Average of ~6 ore per chunk versus ~3 in vanilla.

E: And no the range of double the average value is not within range of over 100 chunks of RNG. It's simply higher. The test samples from the earlier version of Unleashed are within the RNG range as they're ~.5 lower than the vanilla average diamonds ore per chunk.

Last edited:

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
So... If none of you know anything about statistics and probability, a RNG is a random number generator. There are several ways to implement this in terms of resource generations. Here are a couple.

(a) Every single block, roll a "dice". Depending on the value of the dice, set block value to "x", where x is the block ID for whatever is rolled. There are more faces to this die that are stone, than there are of ores, obviously. You roll a different dice depending on what y-value you are at, as copper doesn't spawn below "n" and diamond only spawns below "m".

(b) Generate an string of numbers, similar to a SEED. i.e. The number used to generate your world. That algorithm may contain several implementations that define a systematic way to which your world is randomly generated. i.e. Put swamp next to desert next to ocean, repeat three times then start next world gen algorithm. This algorithm would also contain the RNG that determines your ore generation.

In the end, the mod can only control the probability that an ore spawns. In order to determine whether an ore gen is OP you would need to take several samples of multiple independent chunks, even worlds and determine the mean value, standard deviation and other statistical values. Once those are known you can state the ore gen rate as x +/- y per chunk and compare it to (a) other ore gen statistics or (b) previous values of same ore gen, prior to mod addition.

I have 15 minutes till the bus comes, give me a break. I'm bored.

Not sure, I've been reading these posts for a while now and is trying to generate some conclusions.

Reactions: RedBoss

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Why do people keep bumping this thread

Probably because people keep posting that ore generation or diamond count is up, and then others say it is just that they got lucky.

Ill add my vote to diamond generation being way up, just upgraded from Ultimate to DW20 1.5 a few days ago and every player on my server (ok, only 4 people plus myself) is talking about how diamonds and we think gold is much more prevalent than before.

Obviously the real test is to run 100 max sized quarries in old worlds, and then 100 in Unleashed or whatever and then compare resource totals to more accurately tell if things changed, but that is not easy to do.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Obviously the real test is to run 100 max sized quarries in old worlds, and then 100 in Unleashed or whatever and then compare resource totals to more accurately tell if things changed, but that is not easy to do.

Or look in the config:
DW20:
diamond {
I:ClusterSize=7
I:MaxY=16
I:MinY=0
I:NumClusters=1
B:RetroGen=false
}

Unleashed:
diamond {
I:ClusterSize=10
I:MaxY=20
I:MinY=5
}

btw the # default line is also changed in both files. So they are also changed by the config creator of the specific ftb pack.

Reactions: PierceSG

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Or look in the config:
DW20:
diamond {
I:ClusterSize=7
I:MaxY=16
I:MinY=0
}

Unleashed:
diamond {
I:ClusterSize=10
I:MaxY=20
I:MinY=5
}

btw the # default line is also changed in both files. So they are also changed by the config creator of the specific ftb pack.

So in unleashed it's possible to find a vein of 10 diamonds? I kept finding posts that said the ftb team only increased diamond generation by 1...isn't the default max vein size 5?

Now I have to go see what ultimate is set at.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a fresh install if 1.5 with forge added Termal Expansion and checked the new generated config. The defaults of TE is matching with the one of the DW20 pack.

With "Ultimate" i think the 1.4.7 version of TE doesn't have an option to change the amounts of diamonds. I checked it and i am right. So we can only stick to the vanilla mechanic 1- 9 diamond per spawn.

The thing is we don't know what the Cluster size in the TE config means. It could be the maximum to spawn. It would then lower the amount of diamonds with its 7. Or what i think could be right. It is more like an average amount per spawn.

Last edited:

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I set up a fresh install if 1.5 with forge added Termal Expansion and checked the new generated config. The defaults of TE is matching with the one of the DW20 pack.

With "Ultimate" i think the 1.4.7 version of TE doesn't have an option to change the amounts of diamonds. I checked it and i am right. So we can only stick to the vanilla mechanic 1- 9 diamond per spawn.

The thing is we don't know what the Cluster size in the TE config means. It could be the maximum to spawn. It would then lower the amount of diamonds with its 7. Or what i think could be right. It is more like an average amount per spawn.

The DW20 cofh world is equivalent to vanilla generation and are the default in the code of cofh world(Checked personally). Cluster size is not a maximum or minimum per se, more like a median; maybe(There is a difference with median and average).

There is no real "main" reason that diamonds are up so much in unleashed but a combination of reasons. Diamonds can no longer be lost to spawning below bedrock: 15-25% increase in ore. Diamonds spawn 4 additional blocks above vanilla values: 15-25% increase. Vein sizes increased by 30-40%. With increased vein sizes it becomes more likely that an entire vein is not "eaten" by a lava/water pocket or otherwise: 5-10% increase.

None of those are really "set in stone" type of values but more of my own personal guesstimates.

Last edited:

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
There is no real "main" reason that diamonds are up so much in unleashed but a combination of reasons. Diamonds can no longer be lost to spawning below bedrock: 15-25% increase in ore. Diamonds spawn 4 additional blocks above vanilla values: 15-25% increase. Vein sizes increased by 30-40%. With increased vein sizes it becomes more likely that an entire vein is not "eaten" by a lava/water pocket or otherwise: 5-10% increase.

Thank you (and others) for providing so many contributing factors which go a long way to explaining the increase in certain ores.

Though the OP was asking are there "too many", we can at least now conclude that actual yields per chunk have risen significantly ... we weren't just imagining things.

Reactions: groundhog and zorn

DIMentia

Jul 29, 2019
Complaining that Unleashed has to many diamonds available in the ground is like complaining that there are too many loaves of bread in dungeon chests.
Diamond ore is a trivial source of diamonds in the Unleashed modpack.