Too many Diamonds in Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Let us not forget that ftb adds literally hundreds of new things to build, many of which require diamonds.

In vanilla, diamonds go towards what? Tools? Armor? ... An enchanting table? In ftb, many recipes have their usefulness counter-balanced with a weighted cost in resources. I've been re-wiring my base with that IC2 glass-fiber stuff that costs a diamond for half a dozen lengths of it. Half of the applied energistics stuff has a diamond thrown into the middle just to make it expensive. Wanna build solar panels or modular power suit stuff or just about anything else that's expensive? Diamonds, mate. And I'm not even complaining that some of the recipes are or not over-powered/price-inflated/whatever. Take it or leave it, the long and the short of it is that there's WAY more stuff to do with your diamonds now than in vanilla, so finding more/bigger veins of them could, arguably, simply be to balance out the crazy amount of new recipes.

Diamonds are also no longer the rarest items in the game. Uranium can be a pain to get a hold of, depending on what you're doing. Iridium is the rarest thing in the game, and in unleashed is only obtainable by dedicating a chunk of your infrastructure to it. And some of those bees? Fogetabboutit. Diamonds? Useful and kinda rare, but no longer the only metric for "how rich are you in minecraft."

So in conclusion - are diamond veins bigger as a result of some confit setting or mod? Maybe. Probably. I don't know. Am I glad if that's the case? Youbetcha. Scouring the landscape for caves to dig up exposed uranium is already a big enough pain. Doing the same for diamonds might be the fun/hard mode that some folks like, but for me...I'll stick with less grinding and more ...whatever it is I do when I play.

I completely agree.

In Vanilla I have so many diamonds Before I even get a silk touch pick that I never have to Fortune 3 a single one of the many many diamond ores that I Silk touch. If FTB I can burn through all of those and then have to go through all the ores and still can find myself short on them at times.

Even emeralds are harder to find than diamonds, outside of farming villagers for them, in vanilla.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You should find plenty of emeralds deep in Extreme Hills biomes.

That is one biome out of how many? I also don't settle in or near them. I prefer the boarders around desert/forest/plains/jungles.

As to the hollow hills, those are twilight forest correct? I don't use that mod. Don't like it.

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
40 diamonds are needed to make a mfsu in ic2 experimental.
Just want to put that out there :p.

@Mero:
Out of not that many if you don't use BoP.
If you use BoP it spawns emerald in all the foresty biomes.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I played through Unleashed twice. One time, I was struggling to get diamonds early-game. The other time, I was flush with them. But, the difference between diamond "poor" and diamond "rich" early-game is just a handful of veins. In other words, pure luck.

Life is like that and MC is like that. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.

Far more frustrating than diamond abundance/scarcity is the Nether, and whether the 1st portal location is:

A) Isolated, ex. on a floating island above lava, surrounding by open areas which spawn lots of ghasts
B) A long ways away from a Nether Fortress and soul sand

If both (A) *and* (B) are true, that is ultimately far more frustrating and game-speed-bumping than just about anything in the overworld. I have restarted worlds due to horrible starting Nether positions.

Reactions: PierceSG

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Ive branch mined sooo much, both in vanilla and modded minecraft. And this is all just RNG, nothing else. Ive had branches that after a 100 blocks already yielded over 100 diamonds. Just as ive had braches going over a thousand blocks not even giving 10...

And thats just what i like about it, sometimes you get alot of gold, sometimes alot of lapis and sometimes you get tons of diamonds. But sometimes you get unlucky and get lots of gravel/dirt patches, but who cares? Eventually that tunnel opens up into a nice big open cave showings tens of not seemingly hundreds of ores everywhere, best mining feeling ever :)

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I always find it amusing Enigmius that anytime someone has a lucky or unlucky time with diamonds they run to the forums to go on about how the spawn rate or ore gen for them must of change and that there is no other possibility.

I'm afraid after years of theorycrafting for this online game or that I'm I've grown too cynical to find it amusing, so rather than make insinuations about what kind of mental state leads to the conclusion that a lucky streak indicates a change to spawn rate, I just try to stamp it out before it turns into rumor. That's the kind of rumor that can gain momentum quickly and then it's just a mess when all the junior theorycrafters start arguing to the death to "prove" how it's true. "Prove" meaning, "no proof, only conjecture, but we'll never acknowledge it." That's when Bruce Banner loses his pants.

Reactions: PierceSG

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That's the kind of rumor that can gain momentum quickly and then it's just a mess when all the junior theorycrafters start arguing to the death to "prove" how it's true. "Prove" meaning, "no proof, only conjecture, but we'll never acknowledge it." That's when Bruce Banner loses his pants.

Yeah that is my personal peev. Statement without testing. The whole "I did one tirp and got X" or "I did 20 trips and got Y" as there proof. Few are willing to actaully test their statements before rushing to cry wolf. One of the reasons I tend to if I am not sure about something state it as such and often will run off and test something when I am unsure.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Just for the heck of it, running some tests now - and will provide quantative results in a few days.

My base is in three distinct bands:
  • an area in 500-1000 block radius of spawn which was initially created without BoP
  • an area beyond this boundary, generated with BoP biomes enabled
  • distant regions generated on later versions of Unleashed.
So my approach will be to survey distinct biomes with multiple quarries, within the respective bands, and compare the results using some standard metrics (like cobble to diamond ratio, to take into account ravines, and so on).

My objective is to get a significant enough sample to observe if there are difference between yields in vanilla and BoP biomes or, as I suspect, its just dumb luck.

As an aside, though I'm at end-game in this world, I just crafted my first quarry and tesseract. (Actually, crafted a stack) and have setup a lab of disparate AE networks to accept the inflow.

All just for fun - and killing time until FTB 1.6.4 is released :)

Last edited:

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It's less that there are too many diamonds and more that there are "too many"(As in I do not agree) ways to get fortune 3(4) before you ever mine your first diamond ore. If you were to fortune 3/4 6-12 diamond ore you'd be good for the first 2/3 days of play. By the time you reach the end of that you'd have likely already fortune'd 4 times more and have enough diamonds to last you the first week. This just exponentially grows to the point that diamonds are not difficult to attain if you put forth the effort to get the infrastructure to do that. I find it a fairly fair trade though I'm not much of a measuring stick since I mine for the first 4 days anyway.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I asked this some times. I have seen that there is a setting or mod that let only spawn ores not normal blocks like stone, dirt, gravel. With that it is only a matter of counting.
I am looking for something to test ore spawn for the next server reset to fine tune the amount of ores.

Found it:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/867079-164-xray-mod/
nah not working with forge.

this works with forge but i removes all blocks not just ores
http://www.atomicstryker.net/simplyhax.html

After some searching i have not found anything working with forge correctly.

Last edited:

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid after years of theorycrafting for this online game or that I'm I've grown too cynical to find it amusing, so rather than make insinuations about what kind of mental state leads to the conclusion that a lucky streak indicates a change to spawn rate, I just try to stamp it out before it turns into rumor. That's the kind of rumor that can gain momentum quickly and then it's just a mess when all the junior theorycrafters start arguing to the death to "prove" how it's true. "Prove" meaning, "no proof, only conjecture, but we'll never acknowledge it." That's when Bruce Banner loses his pants.

problem with your position is that unleashed most definitely changes the oregen size of vanilla ores. I can't remember if it was changed for diamond, but I beleive it was increased from 2-6 to 4-10. I know for a fact that gold was jacked up considerably in unleashed from vanilla to a max vein size of 12 from 8. this information is already posted onthis forum, someone even did a config copypasta, but im not about to dig for it on my phone.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
problem with your position is that unleashed most definitely changes the oregen size of vanilla ores. I can't remember if it was changed for diamond, but I beleive it was increased from 2-6 to 4-10. I know for a fact that gold was jacked up considerably in unleashed from vanilla to a max vein size of 12 from 8. this information is already posted onthis forum, someone even did a config copypasta, but im not about to dig for it on my phone.

As I pointed out, the wiki for Minecraft describes diamonds as occurring in veins of 1-9 blocks. That's the vanilla Minecraft specification. This is what I'm talking about with people pulling numbers from their arse. Double check your source before you post bogus information so we don't start false rumors please. There is no minimum cluster size specified in the TE World.cfg file. So no, diamonds didn't go from 2-6 -> 4-10, they went from 1-9 to 1-10. In otherwords, no functional change.

FWIW, I'm looking directly at the TE World.cfg file as I type this. No need to go digging for a source you didn't use. I already gave you the pertinent numbers from it.

Site your source next time, please. And if you don't have time to reference a credible source, sometimes you're better off waiting until you do have the time instead of muddying an otherwise straightforward discussion. And no, I'm not interested in splitting hairs over 9 or 10 max cluster size for diamonds. That's not going to produce the results that lead to these kinds of threads. Not understanding how the veins can be distributed in chunks relative to other chunks explains why we get threads like these. Not understanding how veins are distributed in chunks on a singular level is how we get threads like, "Diamonds nerfed in <pack>?"

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
As I pointed out, the wiki for Minecraft describes diamonds as occurring in veins of 1-9 blocks. That's the vanilla Minecraft specification. This is what I'm talking about with people pulling numbers from their arse. Double check your source before you post bogus information so we don't start false rumors please. There is no minimum cluster size specified in the TE World.cfg file. So no, diamonds didn't go from 2-6 -> 4-10, they went from 1-9 to 1-10. In otherwords, no functional change.

FWIW, I'm looking directly at the TE World.cfg file as I type this. No need to go digging for a source you didn't use. I already gave you the pertinent numbers from it.

Site your source next time, please. And if you don't have time to reference a credible source, sometimes you're better off waiting until you do have the time instead of muddying an otherwise straightforward discussion. And no, I'm not interested in splitting hairs over 9 or 10 max cluster size for diamonds. That's not going to produce the results that lead to these kinds of threads. Not understanding how the veins can be distributed in chunks relative to other chunks explains why we get threads like these. Not understanding how veins are distributed in chunks on a singular level is how we get threads like, "Diamonds nerfed in <pack>?"

This is wrong. it is YOU who are spreading misinformation. veins do have min sizes, then they are further reduced by worldgen features that process after the ore gen. no ore will ever spawn in a size of 1 in vanilla minecraft unless this happens. It is 2-8 for diamond, not 2-6 as i previously checked, and you just said yourself it went up at 10. thats a 25% increase on the top end. also, gold is increased from 8 to 12, a 50% increase.

There are ore wolrdgen changes in unleashed. This thread has people saying there isnt and its a rumor. These people, including you, are full of it.

It really pisses me off when people try to call out someone else for trying to spread rumors then turn around and make ignorant statements like "Oregen doesnt change in unleashed" when they dont know what theyre talking about.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
This is wrong. it is YOU who are spreading misinformation. veins do have min sizes, then they are further reduced by worldgen features that process after the ore gen. no ore will ever spawn in a size of 1 in vanilla minecraft unless this happens. It is 2-8 for diamond, not 2-6 as i previously checked, and you just said yourself it went up at 10. thats a 25% increase on the top end. also, gold is increased from 8 to 12, a 50% increase.

There are ore wolrdgen changes in unleashed. This thread has people saying there isnt and its a rumor. These people, including you, are full of it.

It really pisses me off when people try to call out someone else for trying to spread rumors then turn around and make ignorant statements like "Oregen doesnt change in unleashed" when they dont know what theyre talking about.

Couple of things. Very important:

1) You're not citing your sources. I cited mine.

2) This thread isn't about ore gen in general, it's about diamonds. We're not talking about ore gen in general, we're talking about diamonds. I don't give a rat's ass about gold, iron, or dirt.

Moreover, I said the world.cfg file from Thermal Expansion doesn't have minimum vein sizes.

I say one thing, you twist it and respond to something else. We say diamonds, you say ore gen. I say TE World.cfg, you say veins in general. I say cite your sources, you don't. 8 -> 10, 9 -> 10...it doesn't matter. Nobody is going to notice the difference after a single mining trip. Whether it's a 10% increase or a 25% increase, you'd have to mine thousands of chunks before you'd be able to say with any proper credibility what impact it has on the player experience. Some guy who finds 3-4 veins at the intersection of 4 chunks and comes here wanting to know what changed doesn't need to have low-brow logic reinforced by people who can't manage a congruent discussion.

Stop it. Join the same conversation that we're on or go converse somewhere else. Don't come in here changing the topic and arguing like we've been on your topic the whole damn time.

Reactions: Hyperme and Mero

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Couple of things. Very important:

1) You're not citing your sources. I cited mine.

2) This thread isn't about ore gen in general, it's about diamonds. We're not talking about ore gen in general, we're talking about diamonds. I don't give a rat's ass about gold, iron, or dirt.

Moreover, I said the world.cfg file from Thermal Expansion doesn't have minimum vein sizes.

I say one thing, you twist it and respond to something else. We say diamonds, you say ore gen. I say TE World.cfg, you say veins in general. I say cite your sources, you don't. 8 -> 10, 9 -> 10...it doesn't matter. Nobody is going to notice the difference after a single mining trip. Whether it's a 10% increase or a 25% increase, you'd have to mine thousands of chunks before you'd be able to say with any proper credibility what impact it has on the player experience. Some guy who finds 3-4 veins at the intersection of 4 chunks and comes here wanting to know what changed doesn't need to have low-brow logic reinforced by people who can't manage a congruent discussion.

Stop it. Join the same conversation that we're on or go converse somewhere else. Don't come in here changing the topic and arguing like we've been on your topic the whole damn time.

This is exactly why I tried to explain how ore gen works in an earlier post. Even if a mod does increase some of the ore gen, RNG still plays a factor and even doing a quarry test won't be entirely accurate.
Enigmus is completely correct with needing accurate sources for things like this.