tinkers smeltery question.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MobsterMuley

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys. I'm playing infinity. I thought you could melt down already made armor pieces and weapons. Am i just mistaken or is there some sort of trick to doing this? When i put these items(gold sword, iron chestpiece, etc.) in the smeltery nothing happens.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. I'm pretty new. :p

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just tried it because I have a lot of junk armor coming in thanks to my cursed earth mob farm. I already tried the TE pulverizer but that didn't work. I've just been trashing them all with a bunch of fuzzy busses.

When I dropped them into TiC smeltery, nothing happened. But I've been down this road before, so I had a brainstorm and made an iron helmet and threw it in. It melted down just fine.

So your answer is that the only items that will work in the smeltery are NEW items. Junk crap coming out of the mob grinder is still just junk crap... unless IC2 macerator works. That worked in the GregTech modpack I played recently, but I haven't built any IC2 stuff yet in Infinity to try it out.

Reactions: MobsterMuley

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Full durability required.

Which means the capability is entirely useless... unless you happened to make 2 helmets and only meant to make 1. Then I guess it's a very useful feature. LOL sigh

Yeah yeah, I know... if it wasn't "full durability" then it could be exploited. meh It's just dumb, IMO.

Reactions: MobsterMuley

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I just remembered something else... that I've done before... if you happen to have extra XP to spare, you could repair the armor items to full durability in an anvil by combining two armor pieces into one... and then TiC smelt them down.

Of course, this only helps in early-game, because by mid-game you'll have a quarry running and you'll have so much raw materials like me that you won't care about going thru all that work for just a few extra ingots.

But in early-game, you won't have the XP levels to spare, and to waste, combining armor pieces. So it's still a pretty useless feature. But it should be mentioned.

Update: see the very next post, and ignore this one.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Which means the capability is entirely useless... unless you happened to make 2 helmets and only meant to make 1. Then I guess it's a very useful feature. LOL sigh

Yeah yeah, I know... if it wasn't "full durability" then it could be exploited. meh It's just dumb, IMO.

I'm no code monkey so have little base in difficulty in implementation, but wouldn't the simple answer to this be returns based on durability? Iron helm is at 60% durability, you get 60% return on materials, rounded down of course. Thus no exploit, but you can still melt your junk. Even if this was lossy, say 10% loss or so, it would be welcomed by me.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
You can just combine them in any crafting grid you don't need to use an anvil
and no XP either

Wow, I am certain I already tried that and it did not work... but if you are correct then obviously I didn't try it like I thought. Gonna have to fire up the game and see who is right. Update: Yes, it does indeed work, so I was wrong. Now I just need to figure out the best way to combine them - Cyclic Assembler with fuzzy bus, perhaps?

The best thing is, gold armor drops in mass quantity and gold is always valuable since a quarry will always return less gold ore than any of the other common ores. So even if it takes 4 cyclic assemblers, it probably is worth the effort to combine all the gold armor and smelt it down into ingots.

I'm no code monkey so have little base in difficulty in implementation, but wouldn't the simple answer to this be returns based on durability? Iron helm is at 60% durability, you get 60% return on materials, rounded down of course. Thus no exploit, but you can still melt your junk. Even if this was lossy, say 10% loss or so, it would be welcomed by me.

Yes I agree completely with this, but if they did that, then they should take away the ability to use a vanilla crafting table to restore armor to full durability without any real cost.

Last edited:

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I agree completely with this, but if they did that, then they should take away the ability to use a vanilla crafting table to restore armor to full durability without any real cost.

This is just a vanilla mechanic you've always been able to do this.why spend the time putting all the armor together tho? Im sure you already have an infrastructure set up so you prob have tons of resources, the little you get from a farm wont help much IMO, to each their own tho.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

The problem with this is fractional ingots, or nuggets. Also, isn't the return already a percentage of what was used to craft the armor? (I don't know)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This is just a vanilla mechanic you've always been able to do this.why spend the time putting all the armor together tho? Im sure you already have an infrastructure set up so you prob have tons of resources, the little you get from a farm wont help much IMO, to each their own tho.

Understood and agreed, in fact I think I already said this earlier in the thread. I have more than 20,000 of every ingot in Infinity except for gold which I think I only have 14K... so why bother jumping thru hoops to get a few more?

It's just one of those minecraft deals... if you are given the choice between throwing something away or making a huge contraption to utilize the item you were just gonna toss... well most people will pick the latter and go thru those hoops. Nobody really likes to just admit an item is useless and throw it away. There are a lot of such items in Infinity - Pam's salt, rotten flesh are two that come to mind - absolutely zero uses unless you're really into magic or food and you are willing to make a farm and play Mr. Green Jeans (there's a really old reference where I show my age LOL). Save 64 of each and trash the other 20,000 which are just taking up hard drive space.

In Infinity, it seems the best use for junk items is the AE2 singularity, which requires 256,000 items to create. So bring on that junk!

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I usually don't bother with non-enchanted pieces. For enchanted pieces, depending on what enchantment it has on it, I might process it through the auto-disenchanter to strip it of useful enchants.

By the time I have a mob farm up, I have no need for iron and/or, maybe gold.

Reactions: asb3pe

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I came into this issue early in my Infinity world. I found a village with a smeltery and settled in for the first few nights. Just outside the town was a zombie dungeon in a cave, which cone nightfall flooded my village with zombies. After two nights (until I found and lit the spawner) I had a full set of chain armor for myself and some extra bits. I wanted to melt down those bits to make a steel pickaxe, but I couldn't because they were damaged. All it would take is 7/8 durability to equal 1 ingot on equal return, and that would have jumpstarted my game significantly.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
For uncrafting, there is the Uncrafting table from Twilight forest but that isn't something early game. And it requires XP as well, but it does uncraft most things you can put into it.

Also, that is the major culprit of easy Nether Stars back in 1.4.7 with iChun's Gravity Gun mod.

Craft a bunch of normal Gravity Gun, open up a Twilight Portal, gets hit by lightning. Now you have a bunch of Supercharged Gravity Guns that can be uncrafted for the Nether Star used for crafting it.

Reactions: hiharryII

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
In Infinity, it seems the best use for junk items is the AE2 singularity, which requires 256,000 items to create. So bring on that junk!

FYI, Thermal Expansion's glacial precipitator churns out snowballs at an alarming rate.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
For iron or steel items, the Railcraft blast furnace will melt damaged items into steel ingots, but that is still a step past beginning game to set up.

This doesn't help pre-nether, but as a mid/late game recycling effort it would be viable. Are there losses with this method? Or could I just wear armor till low durability and then blast it and recraft?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
For iron or steel items, the Railcraft blast furnace will melt damaged items into steel ingots, but that is still a step past beginning game to set up.

Just tried it out, ridiculously expensive and time-consuming in Infinity modpack. Put Iron Boots with durability of 34 out of 195 into the Blast Furnace, and it took around five minutes and 9 coal coke pieces (not regular coal but the much-longer-to-make coal coke) to give 4 steel ingots.

This doesn't help pre-nether, but as a mid/late game recycling effort it would be viable. Are there losses with this method? Or could I just wear armor till low durability and then blast it and recraft?

My experiment showed there is no reduction for low durability. So you could make steel armor I suppose, run it down to almost no durability left, and re-smelt it back to ingots... infinite armor exploit.

Last edited: