Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I would add to the list of major reasons why I never play public-server SMP:

1. Seems like half the modpack items are banned
2. The "infinite" world has a finite border around it
3. Must break each block twice before it breaks once (lag)

It never fails. I finally found a server that didn't have problems #1 and #3... but my boat crossed the hidden border (problem #2) which I didn't know about, and the game killed me when I did. I never went back. To heck with public SMP servers, they all stink. (I'm being polite with my words)
I think I've been very lucky with my server-finding - I actually once found a really good public server. The admins were all active, there were very few restrictions on items / blocks, lag wasn't too bad usually, the community was somehow really good despite being public - probably due to the regulars almost all being awesome - and there was no world limit.
And that was the only server that was half as good as that that I ever found. Sadly such places are rare these days - it shut down a while ago, after going through countless changes to the modpack and whatnot.

Reactions: Pyure

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Actual decent servers are very hard to find;
Right now I'm on one with no world border, absolutely nothing banned, and apart from whitelist and automatic backup no noticeable plugins to take away from the experience. The result is all the freedom of SSP, but your sharing and building a world with a bunch of good friends. You gain the best of both worlds, and can actually trust other players that hang out there.
If you avoid the mainstream server lists [like here, MCF, planetminecraft ect] you can usually dig out the little gems that are exceptionally brilliant to play on. Find some quieter, smaller forums- when you're away from the drooling masses you can find these places.

You didn't travel 30 000 km out did you? :D If there is any barrier (like in 1.8) it is supposed to be no closer than there.

I've seen some servers on here with a little as 2.5km radius.
25 million blocks isn't all that much among 20-30 players; not counting oceans and modded biomes that are rather unpleasant to play in. Let alone issues with nether portals ect..
Its normally the commercially run servers that are the worst- keep it on the bare minimum/cheapest server package and cram as many players/"features" they can to try and maximise donations.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I hate building a nice base to build all my stuff in only to drop frames to near unplayability by building it. Not even being able to start building machines and such.

Reactions: stentninja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I hate building a nice base to build all my stuff in only to drop frames to near unplayability by building it. Not even being able to start building machines and such.
Is that normal? Are you using absolute tons of carpenters blocks and microblocks or whatever they're called?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I think that "strip mining" or turtle "smart quarrying" under your base is a bad idea as it causes a ton more textures to load. This is fixed in 1.8 I think with some clever hidden surface detection (so, I guess, no more x-ray hacks?). My 1.4.7 world suffered from that really badly.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Is that normal? Are you using absolute tons of carpenters blocks and microblocks or whatever they're called?
This is the most Carpenters' Blocks i've ever used in a build and the first and only thing i built on this world: http://imgur.com/a/EN2m1
Otherwise, it's just chisel or other decorative blocks. Either I build with ascetics in mind and don't actually play on that world, or I build cobble 9x9's and play with mods until my computer cries.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is the most Carpenters' Blocks i've ever used in a build and the first and only thing i built on this world: http://imgur.com/a/EN2m1
Otherwise, it's just chisel or other decorative blocks. Either I build with ascetics in mind and don't actually play on that world, or I build cobble 9x9's and play with mods until my computer cries.
i don't see why that should lag you. Its nicely detailed, but its small enough that I wouldn't expect your machine to cry about it.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
i don't see why that should lag you. Its nicely detailed, but its small enough that I wouldn't expect your machine to cry about it.
Yeah, my computer is trash. It can run 1080i video, but cries at minecraft. I get about 30fps on a new world in basically every modpack... except Material Energy ^3, I get about 2 in on it.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Every computer cries when you run Minecraft.

That room looks pretty tidy. I like it a lot actually.
It doesn't help that my cpu is 64-bit and my graphics are 32-bit. Dell is stupid.

And thanks, though i think my building lacks constrast. It's all basically just grey brick, but colored stuff is either harder to find or takes up a lot more resources.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
On the subject of server adverts, I feel like having a whitelist is a large detriment. People seem to prefer the simplicity of not having to deal with an application process (and God forbid you reject someone!) Of course, going open is just an invitation for disaster, so you really can't win either way.

...and another thing that's always bothered me, what's with server owners building ludicrously elaborate spawn villages/towns/cities/etc.? It just seems like the server owner is trying to compensate for something, especially since it's really just protected empty space with nothing going on in it.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The whole point of having a whitelist is so you can reject people you don't want- no different to banning them. If admins adding everyone regardless then its nearly as bad as an open server.

Elaborate spawns are ok as long as they're actually useful; the best ones usually being ones built legitimately by the players. A hollow space is a detriment regardless of how pretty it is.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately many whitelist threads I've seen approve anyone who applies; like you said, kinda' defeats the purpose. This also leads to the expectation of rubber-stamped approvals rather than people making real efforts at applying.

I've yet to see an actual useful elaborate spawn; all the ones I've seen were some variant of huge empty castle-towns with a single building for the server's economy-mod shop.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Random Things fertilized dirt no longer lets you plant magical crops.

This is unacceptable and I shall now proceed to sulk.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I haven't either. I think a better solution would be for lumien to have it disabled by default, but configurable.

It isn't configurable, I checked both magical crops and random things config files and there's no option to turn the functionality back on.

Resuming sulk mode in 5...4...3...2...1

Reactions: stentninja

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
I think that might be considered an exploit fix.

CONFIGS CONFIGS CONFIGS CONFIGS CONFIGS

Uh... I like configs.

If it is in the configs, I have no problem about it. I haven't played too much around with Random Things. It's too random for me :p

I haven't either. I think a better solution would be for lumien to have it disabled by default, but configurable.

It isn't configurable, I checked both magical crops and random things config files and there's no option to turn the functionality back on.

Resuming sulk mode in 5...4...3...2...1

Fairly sure that that isn't a "exploit fix". Like with many other mod crops (Magical Crops & Pams Harvestcraft) its a bug in the code for their blocks that make the seeds plantable but as soon as they receive an update they pop off.
I've written messages to the authors but i'm getting no response. I could in theory force them compatible but i would much rather have them fix it.

Reactions: SatanicSanta