Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
In conclusion minecraft has selective logic. Sand falls but a bunch of loose broken stone doesn't. Wooden Tools and sticks burn but tools with sticks in them don't.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that's melting. Stone isn't malleable like that.
well is we are looking at it from a logic standpoint then we should think about how it takes a little while for lava to turn back into stone. So it instantly giving you stone back once you melted it into lava doest make sense either. In fact it heating it up to the point where it would smooth out and then give it back makes a lot more sense because it would be A LOT more solid much quicker then with your method. So:
In conclusion minecraft has selective logic. Sand falls but a bunch of loose broken stone doesn't. Wooden Tools and sticks burn but tools with sticks in them don't.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Depends on the stone.
If we keep it simple and take current extrusive igneous rocks ["lava" that we humans are familiar with] you're looking at between 600°C and 1300°C depending on composition.
If you take the most iconic/stereotypical lava that the word typically invokes, then you're probably thinking the lava lakes/fountains/rivers on Hawaii -around 1200°C.
There are of course other rock and mineral types with significantly higher melting points, and some which are even lower.​
If you want I can dig out my old lecture notes from uni and find the exact sources- but I'm not doing that tonight.

In terms of minecraft, remember the furnace somehow doesn't melt itself- given that its made of the same cobblestone that it smelts into smoothstone, both of which come from the same lava flow; not our universe- things work differently.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
But you're all forgetting that 8m³ of stone is crafted into a 1m³ block... In almost all crafting recipes an element of compression is applied, could affect the thermal properties.

And you're also forgetting furnaces are magic and powered by black holes, the waste from smelting ore blocks had to go somewhere... 1 ore block = 1 ingot, 9 ingots = 1m³ block, therefore 1/8th of an ore block is waste, where does this go? Yup that's right, into the black hole.

Reactions: 1SDAN

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Not a vanilla gripe, but Thaumcraft's tubing can go straight to hell. Creating an overflow system is so complicated and convoluted it turns a simple task (automatically creating alumentum from coal dust) that, for a mod with a transport system that actually made bloody sense, would be almost trivially simple into one that's damn near impossible to manage without human intervention. I just want to refine coal into alumentum and have overflow protection, this shouldn't be as complicated as its turning out to be.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
But you're all forgetting that 8m³ of stone is crafted into a 1m³ block... In almost all crafting recipes an element of compression is applied, could affect the thermal properties.

And you're also forgetting furnaces are magic and powered by black holes, the waste from smelting ore blocks had to go somewhere... 1 ore block = 1 ingot, 9 ingots = 1m³ block, therefore 1/8th of an ore block is waste, where does this go? Yup that's right, into the black hole.

And theres material growth- 1 m³ of wood makes 4 m³ of planks [7m³ in some machines]

But I think the best quantum warping goes to Reika's extractor- which can pull 155% volume of metal out of some ores. (1 ore -> 13 ingots + 1 byproduct)
{remember metallic ore is 11% metal by volume}

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Not a vanilla gripe, but Thaumcraft's tubing can go straight to hell. Creating an overflow system is so complicated and convoluted it turns a simple task (automatically creating alumentum from coal dust) that, for a mod with a transport system that actually made bloody sense, would be almost trivially simple into one that's damn near impossible to manage without human intervention. I just want to refine coal into alumentum and have overflow protection, this shouldn't be as complicated as its turning out to be.
It is exceptionally complicated, but it does make basic sense. It would be far easier to use if they were multipart compatible. Though, i'm not sure if they aren't multipart compatible. I haven't thought to check in a while.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It is exceptionally complicated, but it does make basic sense. It would be far easier to use if they were multipart compatible. Though, i'm not sure if they aren't multipart compatible. I haven't thought to check in a while.

I managed to get it working with some golem assistance, but I wouldn't even need them if the system worked like literally every other piping system in every other mod ever. It doesn't even make basic sense; its incredibly convoluted and unnecessarily arbitrary. Multiparts wouldn't fix it; it is broken, for me, on a fundamental design level.

And theres material growth- 1 m³ of wood makes 4 m³ of planks [7m³ in some machines]

But I think the best quantum warping goes to Reika's extractor- which can pull 155% volume of metal out of some ores. (1 ore -> 13 ingots + 1 byproduct)
{remember metallic ore is 11% metal by volume}

Real metal ore, or Minecraft metal ore? If its the former, then, I must remind you that you can magically create infinite stone using two fluids that never get used up in the process, so Minecraft really isn't in the realism department. If its the latter, then it could be somewhat explained as normal vanilla smelting actually being stupidly inefficient, and the extractor processes the ores in such a way that gets the small grains and such that are normally lost when you smelt like a barbarian the vanilla way.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The problem is that Thaumcraft works on pressure, but it's a negative pressure. So instead of positive pressure which is from the point of entry, IE the Alembic, it's negative, which is destination, IE the jar. Labels increase suction, but the best way is only one possible option, so you only have potentia, or whatever aspect in that tube. Which I believe is the reason for the crystallizer in the newest version.