Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
Sure, but you waste a lot more materials.

I would argue they're not wasted, provided you use the second something. But otherwise I totally agree, making it simply to prevent left overs is wasteful.

Edit typos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You mean if solar panels are enough to power the laser drill? Then the answer is yes. 3 HV solar arrays per pre-charger is enough to run the laser full speed (you need 1250 EU/t or 5000 RF/t or 500 MJ/t). You can see if the laser has enough power if the 4 dots on the pre-charger block facing the laser drill turn green. So 12 HV solar arrays are enough to power it fully during daytime.

In comparison.. if you would use dynamo's to power the laser you'll need ~250 dynamos in total (~63 per pre-charger).. But it would run also during night time.

Unless it's changed it's 400 MJ/t, 100 per precharger. You do have everything properly scaled though if the base number is correct. The HV's you're pretty far off unless they don't make 512 EU/t any more.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Unless it's changed it's 400 MJ/t, 100 per precharger. You do have everything properly scaled though if the base number is correct. The HV's you're pretty far off unless they don't make 512 EU/t any more.
It might be changed then. I'm talking DW20 1.6.4 pack here.

The source of my info came from a post on reddit pointing to this album: http://imgur.com/a/K8mCQ
I only tested the solar panels / EU part though. 2 solars would produce 1024 EU/t and that wasn't enough to change the color on the pre-charger to green. 3 solars would give 1536 EU/t and it would turn green, so I assumed the 1250 EU/t was correct :)

To be slightly ontopic too, what irks me about minecraft is wall glitches. That you get stuk on an invisible part of the wall, especially happens with speed enchants. Or pressure plates with doors. Sometimes you get stuck on a corner piece again and you see the door shut before your eyes again! argh :)

Or the lack of up-to-date (official!) documentation from mods. Take the TE dynamo's for example. cofh website got a picture of each dynamo, but no specs. I want to know how much RF they produce before I make them. Or at what rate they consume fuel etc..

Or take MFR. They added a steam turbine but zero information about the specs. How fast does it consume steam? I want to calculate my best options from the specs, not some lousy stopwatch test in game. (Btw they produce 80 RF/t too, according to my own observations - not sure about steam consumption)

Or take IC2 exp.. I have no idea where to get the correct info. WAILA tooltips show nice info for most of the machines these days but then you make an induction furnace, there is no info about that. How much EU/t can it handle before it should explode? How much EU/t can you put in a batbox? Is that the same as the output? Questions I can't get answered and because explosions are off.. I can't test it in game either.

Those are no big issues but it just irks me :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Necr0maNceR

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
-snipped-
Waila gives me all this information you say is missing... At least in Monster 1.0.4. Off the top of my head, Steam dynamos consume 20mb per tick and produce 40rf per tick and I can clearly see that the induction furnace of IC2 takes up to 128EU/t. What WAILA are you using?

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Waila gives me all this information you say is missing... At least in Monster 1.0.4. Off the top of my head, Steam dynamos consume 20mb per tick and produce 40rf per tick and I can clearly see that the induction furnace of IC2 takes up to 128EU/t. What WAILA are you using?

that's a good example of why he wants the info. steam dynamos consume 40 steam for 80 rf/t if using pure steam, the numbers you just listed are for coal. It's hard to design a good system not using surplus/void at the moment because the engine/dynamo numbers aren't as available as they used to be. mathcraft is fun for some.

Reactions: Racemol

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure, the one who is packed in the latest Direwold20 pack. I don't see the consummation rate at dynamo's. Only the locally stored buffer and name of the block. For the induction furnace (ic2), there is no extra info in the tooltip, at least in the version I use. Oh and dynamo's actually produce 80RF/t, it was upgraded from 40 RF/t a few versions ago. At least in the DW20 pack :)

But that is all missing my point, It just "irks" me that there are so few online resources for the different blocks a mod brings. I use those for planning purposes, before I actually gather the needed resources and start building.. And i'm not alone in that. The TE wiki page about the dynamo (just used as an example, I love dynamo's) is viewed almost 20.000 times. 20K people got to see just the images.

Edit: What Runo said, I possibly play FTB as mathcraft :)
(That might be my eve-online inheritance too, a.k.a. spreadsheets in space )

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
that's a good example of why he wants the info. steam dynamos consume 40 steam for 80 rf/t if using pure steam, the numbers you just listed are for coal. It's hard to design a good system not using surplus/void at the moment because the engine/dynamo numbers aren't as available as they used to be. mathcraft is fun for some.

Which is all the more reason to just play it by ear and build a little more than needed.
Seeing everything discussed as raw code or stripped down into numbers is somewhat immersion breaking.​

Reactions: immibis

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Which is all the more reason to just play it by ear and build a little more than needed.
Seeing everything discussed as raw code or stripped down into numbers is somewhat immersion breaking.​

Its one thing to have it in the game like he mentions, its another for it not to exist anywhere on any site. These forums and the wikis used to be a trove of knowledge on this stuff and those conversations were fun. You not wanting the numbers shouldn't mean we aren't able to obtain them. I enjoy the optimization attempts as do many oother people.

Its a common problem with OSS though so its no surprise that it permeates these mods. Documentation is half the battle in corporate.

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
GeoStrata. The whole mod in general. I mean, why? What does it bring to the table that's of any use? Forgot to disable it for my server and now it seems like everything underground requires an iron pick. But can I find any iron? Oh no, because it's all replaced by god damn marble.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Y... You're joking, right...?
No from what I have seen, those 3-4 new rock types added in 1.8 were all just recoloured gravel textures :p They did however have forms you could craft them into, but the base one... yeah..

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
OMG, the gravel texture since MC 1.0 or whatever has always pissed me off because it looks like shit. GLolariousT could've done a better job with it. the previous texture was just fine.
Haha I have a friend who hates the texture also

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
When mods have conflicting IDs and the crash report doesn't make it easy to find out what is wrong(I.E. Rekia's Mods and it's non-block ID Conflicts).
Also when a mod has a system in place to assign IDs according to what is open, but can't do so for non-block IDs and will crash if it can't get it's way(see above for details).