Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Reactions: Fuzzlewhumper

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Then, the mods begin the process of porting, which again could take months or never, if the mod is not being maintained.

It should be from the FTB team that if a mod should be in one of the big packs then the mod should go open source if the mod-owner dont want/cant maintain it.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
That would kill off FTB, as several major mods probably will not agree to that. They do not have the power to dictate that.

Yes I know that :( - in a way I hope that Mojang is looking on what mods are popular and implement the same kind in the base game. I dont like to use a mod and realize that in the next version I cant use it because the modmaker lost interest of it.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I know that :( - in a way I hope that Mojang is looking on what mods are popular and implement the same kind in the base game. I dont like to use a mod and realize that in the next version I cant use it because the modmaker lost interest of it.

Mojang doesn't care about specific mods. That's too narrow of a focus. Mod users are a very small part of the Minecraft community. Tech packs are an even smaller focus. Its not enough to make an impact. They are aware of modding in general and it appears that the updates are a movement to ease the modding process for all mods.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
not just you. i really hope colors will be more different like they are with strongboxes.

I actually hope they'll also be more different in shape and not just in color. but probably not because that'd mean alot more work

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It should be from the FTB team that if a mod should be in one of the big packs then the mod should go open source if the mod-owner dont want/cant maintain it.
No. Hell no.

If a mod author wants their mod to be open source, that's great. I'm a big proponent of open source (hell, I run Linux for my home computer). However, the moment you -force- someone to go Open Source... it violates the very principles behind the concept.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
No. Hell no.

If a mod author wants their mod to be open source, that's great. I'm a big proponent of open source (hell, I run Linux for my home computer). However, the moment you -force- someone to go Open Source... it violates the very principles behind the concept.

I like open source but Im not making open source myself. I only was thinking of that if mod-developer A dont want to work on their mod anymore they it could be an agreement that they should make it open source so other can take over the mod and continue to have it in the modpack. Im not talking about that everybody should make it open source.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

I'd pack up and leave the community entirely if we ever got to this point. There's just no compelling reason to start the Fork Wars simply because real life crops up from time to time.

thewindmillman

Jul 29, 2019
jesus christ, this guy says something stupid but with good intent and everyone jumps on him. i mean, do you really need 5 replies for that? come on!

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about you but, I spent five months of my personal time designing a modpack. I went out of my way to acquire permission from almost a hundred different people so that I would FINALLY be able to release said mod pack. I compiled a massive permissions list, sifted through thousands of Ids, got everything to a point where it was stable enough for a release. Right about that time 1.6 released and, half of the mods I'd added stopped responding. I spent weeks creating a set of tutorial videos using Thermal Expansion as your go to start out mod. I spent weeks teaching people how to use the ecosystem of mods I so delicately set up and, configured. Of course, I had to abandon all of that. I got fed up with this communities' self righteous behavior. I got sick of copyright crap and, begging people for permission just so they can make a few pennies from ad.fly.

It's easy to forget that the rest of us also have jobs and, real life issues that crop up. I use Minecraft to help relax after a busy day of work and bull. I have to deal with enough drama and, pompous individuals in real life I don't want to have to tolerate it in my games as well. I can understand full well why some people might get a bit agitated.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
jesus christ, this guy says something stupid but with good intent and everyone jumps on him. i mean, do you really need 5 replies for that?

Yes, we do. There is no reason why this community should strip away someone's creation out from under their hands. Just because people put forth hard work and talent into this community by creating things like mods that add to Minecraft, DOES NOT give users in the community the right to dictate how that creation should be maintained when said creations become popular. It's unfair to the original creator's efforts for creating said mod in the first place, and discourages the creation of new mods, as people would fear the same result happening to their digital works...

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about you but, I spent five months of my personal time designing a modpack. I went out of my way to acquire permission from almost a hundred different people so that I would FINALLY be able to release said mod pack. I compiled a massive permissions list, sifted through thousands of Ids, got everything to a point where it was stable enough for a release. Right about that time 1.6 released and, half of the mods I'd added stopped responding. I spent weeks creating a set of tutorial videos using Thermal Expansion as your go to start out mod. I spent weeks teaching people how to use the ecosystem of mods I so delicately set up and, configured. Of course, I had to abandon all of that. I got fed up with this communities' self righteous behavior. I got sick of copyright crap and, begging people for permission just so they can make a few pennies from ad.fly.

It's easy to forget that the rest of us also have jobs and, real life issues that crop up. I use Minecraft to help relax after a busy day of work and bull. I have to deal with enough drama and, pompous individuals in real life I don't want to have to tolerate it in my games as well. I can understand full well why some people might get a bit agitated.

That is something that you CHOSE to do for a hobby.

Nobody is required to do anything like this. If you get enjoyment out of doing this, then do it. if you don't, why are you wasting your time doing it?

Mod authors are making mods because they enjoy doing it. They are neither required to make them or required to cater to the general population. If they chose to share their works with others they will. They are not required to give access to their works to others to continue to work on if they chose not to or are unable to continue to work on it and they never should be.

Anybody is free to make mods. They are even allowed to make content that is the same as what others already made all on their own. The only issue with that would be if they just steal someones work and call it their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.