The Ultimate Tinkers Construct Tools

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CJRodgers

Jul 29, 2019
For me paper seems to be unbalanced since it's used it pretty much every build described here. Also I'm implementing a limit on the number of repairs, with it costing more material to repair each time.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Critisisms?

Paper has its limits. Part of the point of it is to add some point to mixing and matching. And limiting repairs itself is stupid, as the point of the mod is that you use a ridiculous amount of materials for any worthwhile items. Good luck justifying sinking 450 lapis, dozens of redstone, a diamond, a block of gold, and a nether star, plus other materials into a tool -then- imposing a limit on repairs.

Reactions: schyman

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Paper has its limits. Part of the point of it is to add some point to mixing and matching. And limiting repairs itself is stupid, as the point of the mod is that you use a ridiculous amount of materials for any worthwhile items. Good luck justifying sinking 450 lapis, dozens of redstone, a diamond, a block of gold, and a nether star, plus other materials into a tool -then- imposing a limit on repairs.
The only limit to paper is durability when you use the rod.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Has anyone got a good design for a Scythe? I've just made one with a manullyn head, cobalt rod, ardite rod, and paper tough binding. I've just tried putting moss on it for repair but it doesn't work, any ideas why not? I think the ardite rod was a mistake.

Would it be worth using a cactus part?

*Edit* D'oh, I was using "Moss", not "Ball of Moss".

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure LSword Rapier and Broadsword aren't the only swords. The Scythe does extra damage to mobs, and has the 3x3 range, plus it's a RP2 Sickle all in one package! Any suggestions?
There's also a cleaver, an iron cleaver blade with slime handles and a flint plate do quite an amount of damage to mobs. Add some sharpness to it and you have got a super cheap, and insanely powreful sword.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, you need a Tool Forge to even get that sword and at that point you certainly have better materials to make it with.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, you need a Tool Forge to even get that sword and at that point you certainly have better materials to make it with.
I have used a Tool Station once. When I disabled vanilla tools in the config. Tool forges are very cheap, a tool station, 36 iron, 6 clay, 6 sand, and 6 gravel. It's not hard to get those materials. You literally just need a stone pickaxe to get the materials for the Tool Forge.

Nebbie

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming a full FTB 1.5.2 install, paper is too powerful. It's trivial to setup a simple IC2 generator plus electric furnace and fuel the generator with charcoal from Eucalyptus harvested with a lumber axe, so the electric modifier basically gives you free near-instant repair at your base, making the durability loss from paper unimportant. I'd say Thaumium too, but I haven't tested how much investment it really takes to get a lot of Thaumium ingots.
Basically (as far as non-weapons), everyone just puts paper on rods and bindings, while the head parts of the tools get the actual metals, and it's rare to not use Cobalt or Manyllum for the head parts. Considering how many different materials can be used, this needs changing.

As for tools, here's my pickaxes:
Goody Pick: Steel head, paper binding, steel rod. Modifiers: Electric and Luck (level 1). It was a necessity at the time since I didn't have any access to the Nether ores, and it's actually a fairly good pick for just using on select stuff like diamonds, lapis, and misplaced blocks (don't want to accidentally mine the wrong thing).
Speedy Pick: Cobalt head, paper binding, cobalt rod. Modifiers: Electric and Haste (level 3) I derped the rod choice and will replace it if that becomes too much of an issue.

I made a hammer and a lumber axe too, but they were made alongside the Goody Pick and basically are just steel/obsidian/paper/steel, so they're crap.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Paper isn't too powerful. The IC2 recharging addon is. Really. Without that, using paper has a significant disadvantage on any part except tier one bindings, and there the choice may differ between stonebound, paper, and cactus. Since apparently reinforced is kinda sucky it's not really worth considering except if you really have nothing worthwile to put on the paper, have low durability, and no cactus.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Paper isn't too powerful. The IC2 recharging addon is. Really. Without that, using paper has a significant disadvantage on any part except tier one bindings, and there the choice may differ between stonebound, paper, and cactus. Since apparently reinforced is kinda sucky it's not really worth considering except if you really have nothing worthwile to put on the paper, have low durability, and no cactus.

Agreed. Electric basically removes durability completely (bugged for the moment, but electric armor does pretty much the same) in one slot and is even exploitable with modifiers that make the tool better with low durability (stonebound I think for mining speed).

Reactions: schyman

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. Electric basically removes durability completely (bugged for the moment, but electric armor does pretty much the same) in one slot and is even exploitable with modifiers that make the tool better with low durability (stonebound I think for mining speed).

I could not care less about that. The durability on tools is just friggin annoying anyway IMHO. It's nothing but a timesink.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Most things in survival minecraft are time sinks. That's basically what survival minecraft is you know ;)

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the cleaver made with pure thaumium or paper stack with +9 beheading if i remember right which is around 86% chance of beheading, good for farming wither skull :). If only tinker construct add the soul stealing enchant.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, there I was thinking that it was about building stuff...
Sorry for being unclear: "That's basically what survival minecraft is you know" should be "That's basically the difference between survival and creative minecraft you know ;)"

Not saying "well go play creative" but honestly, the reason we play survival is because we want a bit of time sinks. In some ways, time sinks make the game more fun for us than just having all da powazz immediately. Where the line is between "good timesink" and "bad timesink" differs from person to person, but simply stating that "it's a time sink" isn't that strong of an argument.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Where the line is between "good timesink" and "bad timesink" differs from person to person, but simply stating that "it's a time sink" isn't that strong of an argument.

And that's why I didn't say "it's a timesink" but "it's nothing but a timesink". Timesinks are never a goal in itself. There should always be a proper time/reward tradeoff and when there's no real reward for spending the time it's "nothing but a timesink".

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
I could not care less about that. The durability on tools is just friggin annoying anyway IMHO. It's nothing but a timesink.

I don't like tools with limited durability either. However when you are discussing the balancing factors of durability (i.e. low durability on paper parts), you should look at the worst offender in that regard first, which in my opinion is the complete removal of that balancing factor.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
And that's why I didn't say "it's a timesink" but "it's nothing but a timesink". Timesinks are never a goal in itself. There should always be a proper time/reward tradeoff and when there's no real reward for spending the time it's "nothing but a timesink".
I don't get what you mean? The reward for spending the time is getting a working tool in this case? I mean if you don't sink time into repairing, you get stuck without tools.