The Ultimate Tinkers Construct Tools

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like tools with limited durability either. However when you are discussing the balancing factors of durability (i.e. low durability on paper parts), you should look at the worst offender in that regard first, which in my opinion is the complete removal of that balancing factor.
But you must also look at the fact that making it out of paper means you have to use one of the modifier for the EU upgrade. Not all tools benefit from it especially on tier 2 tools. For example, a hammer requires 2 plates, 1 head and 1 rod. The head and plates are added together and then averaged out to determine it's mining speed (durability not taken into consideration since we're going to use an EU upgrade anyway), so you will not want to use paper for those 3 parts and that leaves you with the rod. That only gives you one additional modifier which is going to be used on the EU upgrade.

Essentially what this means is that, you are trading repair fees for power bills.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
People don't use electric because its OP, they use it because everything else is a complete load of turd. Think about it; suppose you have 2 identical picks, except one has electric while the other one doesn't. Then you mine a bunch of blocks with each until the non-electric one is nearly broken. The electric one can carry on going no problem. The non-electric pick forces you to stop caving or whatever, making you search for cobalt & ardite in the nether to repair it. Then, a while later, you can resume caving. See the difference? Ultimately, making the player worry about tool durability achieves absolutely nothing other than forcing the player to waste time on an unnecessary chore that could've been avoided by half-decent game design.

Having said that, I don't like how electric has no competition in keeping tools from breaking. Moss needs a buff.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Having said that, I don't like how electric has no competition in keeping tools from breaking. Moss needs a buff.
I never use electric and I never have problems with moss regeneration. Once I have steel, I'm good to go. Yes this is just my personal situation but I never, ever mine to even half durability on my tools. The only thing that I ever wear down is my first hammer made of cobble. I only repair it 2 or 3 times before I can make a better one.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I never use electric and I never have problems with moss regeneration. Once I have steel, I'm good to go. Yes this is just my personal situation but I never, ever mine to even half durability on my tools. The only thing that I ever wear down is my first hammer made of cobble. I only repair it 2 or 3 times before I can make a better one.
I've found no reason to make a better hammer. They can mine even diamonds and they still drop the diamonds. It just seems like kind of a waste of resources to me.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I've found no reason to make a better hammer. They can mine even diamonds and they still drop the diamonds. It just seems like kind of a waste of resources to me.
Speed for one. That and I don't have anything else to use cobalt on

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Speed for one. That and I don't have anything else to use cobalt on
Just add Redstone. A full stone hammer with some added durability, 50 redstone, and maybe fortune is about all you need. Tip: When you are mining diamonds with a hammer, make sure to not mine the diamond ore, mine another ore in the same 3x3

Safe Safe Safe
Safe DONT Safe
Safe Safe Safe

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
People don't use electric because its OP, they use it because everything else is a complete load of turd.

Moss works perfectly fine, and depending on your usage pattern of the tools, already provides unlimited durability. The power addon doesn't only provide unlimited durability (who seriously cares about energy usage if you have unlimited energy providers like the power armors), it also breaks the whole "this tool gets better the lower durability it has" stats. Just check the other forum threads about tinkers construct tools, lots of people suggest to wear down your stonebound tool to then apply the power upgrade to keep the increased mining speed while making the tool indestructible.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Moss works perfectly fine, and depending on your usage pattern of the tools, already provides unlimited durability.
I'm quite happy with moss. Sure, electric may be "better", but I don't need it and it's a bit silly so I don't bother with it. I don't need to go caving for hours on end, and my cobalt/ardite pick lasts quite long enough for me. And if I do ever need to Portal Gun myself back to my base and repair it with a bit of cobalt, well, I've got plenty of it. Or I can just grab my old copper/obsidian pick if I need to do a little bit more mining.

p.s. Does anyone know why mining AE quartz with autosmelt doesn't give silicon? It's not that I want it to, it's just a little surprising that it doesn't. I guess the quartz ore drop mechanic is a bit of custom AE code.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
My tools:
Hammer with Cobalt plates, Manyullyn head and Thaumium rod. Upgrades: Electric, Silk touch, Redstone.
Pick with Cobalt head, Thaumium rod and paper binding. Upgrades: Electric, Fortune, Smelting, Redstone.
Excavator with Cobalt shovel and plate, paper binding and Thaumium rod. Upgrades: Electric, Silk Touch, Redstone.
Cleaver with Manyullyn blade, Thaumium plate and paper rods. Upgrade: Electric, Looting, Quartz.

Planned tools:
A shovel, Lumber Axe and regular Axe. All from Cobalt/Thaumium/Paper with Electric and Redstone upgrades.
I've also got a Cleaver with Beheading on my list of wants to get Wither Skulls and other skulls for Thaumcraft research. Also maybe a Rapier with a lot of quartz in case I ever need to do any PvP.

Other than that I wouldn't know what other tools I could possibly need.
I might make a Mattock instead of a shovel and axe though.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

He's presuming that you would want to come back and mine the diamond ore later with a fortune tool. Also its a good idea even in vanilla to make sure your diamond ore is clear of lava so that you won't lose it.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
He's presuming that you would want to come back and mine the diamond ore later with a fortune tool. Also its a good idea even in vanilla to make sure your diamond ore is clear of lava so that you won't lose it.
Why not full fortune the hammer?
And yeah I do mine "around" the diamonds to make sure I'm not going to 3x3 splat them into a lava pool :D

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Why not full fortune the hammer?
And yeah I do mine "around" the diamonds to make sure I'm not going to 3x3 splat them into a lava pool :D
I tend to out silk touch on the hammer to save on inventory slots while mining. Especially if I don't have an ender pouch linked ore processing system

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. You get the diamond even if you use a cobblestone hammer.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. If Stone/Diamond is like this:
SSS
SDS
SSS

and you have a stone hammer and mine the diamond, the diamond will break (after eight years of beating it). If you break one of the stones, the diamond will drop. Unless that has been fixed in later versions (I think it is a bug rather than feature).

This is of marginal usefulness IMO, as an iron pick is easy to get and very quick, but it's very useful for getting decent amount of obsidian early. Build a stone hammer, a few buckets, and make a 3x3x1 "pool", put a stone in the middle and make obsidian around it. beat the stone, woops, 8 obsidian.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. If Stone/Diamond is like this:
SSS
SDS
SSS

and you have a stone hammer and mine the diamond, the diamond will break (after eight years of beating it). If you break one of the stones, the diamond will drop. Unless that has been fixed in later versions (I think it is a bug rather than feature).

This is of marginal usefulness IMO, as an iron pick is easy to get and very quick, but it's very useful for getting decent amount of obsidian early. Build a stone hammer, a few buckets, and make a 3x3x1 "pool", put a stone in the middle and make obsidian around it. beat the stone, woops, 8 obsidian.

It wasn't patched in the latest 1.5, might've been in 1.6 though.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
How do you make the blood? I tried everything from villagers to cows, even myself and nothing.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
<nitpick>3x1x3, technically, the second co-ordinate is "up" in Minecraft.</nitpick>
Both designs work. I find the 3x3x1 easier to use, but requires a liiittle more setup as you need slabs or fences blocking the lava from falling out.