The rebirth of IC2 ?

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
KL says he saw the results of someone who actually measured it, and the TE furnace was ~5x as fast.

There's no magic that IC2 couldn't do if they wanted to, btw... it just seems they have other priorities (like messing up the energy net)
But with overclockers, you can make it much better, leaving it at an advantage if you have the materials.

If you have the materials, that is.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
But with overclockers, you can make it much better, leaving it at an advantage if you have the materials.

If you have the materials, that is.

I think they're talking about how quickly the server can handle the process, not the number of in-game ticks it takes.

Edit: So, I noticed Direwolf scanning an Iridium Ore in order to be able to make it out of UUM. How do you get the Iridium Ore in the first place? Does IC3 adopt Greg's worldgen ore?

Last edited:

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I think they're talking about how quickly the server can handle the process, not the number of in-game ticks it takes.
I guess part of that CPU efficiency is down to the "remove the item first, then process it" approach. IC2 (and, I suppose, vanilla) machines have to keep checking if the player has removed the item that's being processed. TE machines don't have that problem.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, I believe that little bit was removed come 1.6.2 for TE. There is, possibly, another way to do it: have the GUI fire an event (perhaps to the block itself, or its constituent TileEntity) when its inventory is changed, it can track which slot was changed and the ItemStack of said slot. This way, there's no continuous checking, and adjustments are only made when needed. If ya ask me, more things in Minecraft, modded or vanilla, need to be like that.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I personally wouldn't rely on what's seen in Direwolf20's videos as 100% gospel. But that might just be me ;)
I find it unlikely that he would post-process his videos to change the apparent behaviour of a machine's UI. It's more likely that I mis-remembered. Or that ForgeCraft was using a development version.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
TE machines don't 'remove the item to process' it, not anymore at least. The player can remove it at any time.

Correct, although the new way of doing it is no less CPU efficient. ;) Basically traded some NBT code for the new stuff. I prefer it this way, it feels more consistent with the rest of the game.

Aye, I believe that little bit was removed come 1.6.2 for TE. There is, possibly, another way to do it: have the GUI fire an event (perhaps to the block itself, or its constituent TileEntity) when its inventory is changed, it can track which slot was changed and the ItemStack of said slot. This way, there's no continuous checking, and adjustments are only made when needed. If ya ask me, more things in Minecraft, modded or vanilla, need to be like that.

Essentially this. Has nothing to do with the GUI, but it's a general thing. If the contents of the input slots change, it checks to see if it should be active. It's a really fast check though, with a lot of fail fast. For example, if the stack size increases (feeding in), there's no need to recheck. Only happens if contents change or decrease.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I guess part of that CPU efficiency is down to the "remove the item first, then process it" approach. IC2 (and, I suppose, vanilla) machines have to keep checking if the player has removed the item that's being processed. TE machines don't have that problem.
They don't have to, but they do. They could easily check if the item is still processable when something changes that inventory slot, instead of checking every tick even when the stack in the input slot hasn't changed.